Historybank.com failure to connect

Newboyneil

To all,

I can not connect to historybank.com via globalserver, is anyone else having problems at all? I cant get an online signal, and yes I am connected to the net and not using a proxy server.

As I believe the service ends this year 2003 what are you people doing for historical data after that?

Thanks

Newboyneil

I have just tried to download and had no problems but as you say it will disappear by the end of the year.

I have been given www.databull.com as one possibility as it is a one off subscription of about 100 Euros and gives the ability to update even during the day.

The other possibility is to use whoever you subscribe to for realtime data such as IQ feed as historical data can be got from them.

Who is your current data provider ?

Paul

Currently I am using prophet.net, which does offer a similar service.

Do you get an online or offline indicator on the bottom toolbar at all?

I always seem to get offline and loads of event 10 error messages come up

Can you post the event error messages ?

Here is what my screen looks like (I have just edited it because it was a bit large)

Attachments

• gs.png
    gs.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 833
Last edited:
Date : 12/20/2003 Source :historybank.com
Time: 18:48:28 Category:message
Event ID: 10 Type Error

Description
The indices file (trade Record 1 Day) file for 08/18/2000 was not found

Have you used Historybank a lot on the past ? and are you familiar with how the settings need to be to get the data you require ?

This message indicates that you are trying to download index data which Historybank does not have. Also can you say what symbols you wish to download data for ?

Paul

This is this first time I have used it.

I seem to have incorrent dates as well is runs from 2/2/200 to 3/2/2000 as an example, whi is US date format says 2nd feb then 2nd march

Just tryin to downlad the indexs, SPXI and DJX.X

Historybank does not store index data so you wont be able to download it. Also you need to set the "To" and "From" dates as shown in the attachment. You cannot download more than 3 months worth of data at a time and you need to tick which instrument types you want to download. I would also strongly recommend that you untick the "Implied Volatility " option or you will be wait all night for data to download. How much data did you want ?

Paul

Attachments

• gs1.png
    gs1.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 681
I was after index data only really, do I have to then download all the stocks in that peried then for the index to calculate?

Have you ever experienced data in incorrect formats or is the way it sorts the data in the table?

Ok I am trying to download futures, but I get a connection status of offline / not connected, thats a concern, I am using adsl connection

You cannot get index data full stop using Historybank and No it does not calculate it from all other stocks. You will need to find a different way of getting it.

Your online status is unimportant for using Historybank and if you check my above screenshots you will see that my status was offline but that data was downloading. Try inserting the symbol ESH4 or ES H4 using the Insert symbol option. Make sure that the template is set to Future and make sure that Exchanges is set to all. You will then get the option for dates, set them from Dec 2003 to April 2004 and the futures symbols will appear select March 2004 and then OK. Then try downloading again setting the from date as 2003/12/17 to 2003/12/19 also making sure that Futures is ticked Hit "OK" and you should get the symbols downloading.

For the index data the only option is to import a Globalserver format file that you will need to get from some other source.

It may also help to read the help files on how to download data as from what you have said you have virtually no knowledge at all on using this.

Paul

Is HISTORYBANK.com still alive

I heard that HIstoryBank was due to be turned off 31.12.2003.

Does anyone know if this has happenned?

When I try downloading all I get is (something like):
Downloading 0% distributing 0%

I never seem to get a connection to HIstoryBank.

Are there any firewall issues?

I just tried downloading and it still appears to be active. I use a firewall and never had any problems with connecting. Setting it up to download is not that easy though and you do need to know what you are doing. Most people who have problems are just not set up correctly to download what they want.

If that doesnt help you could always try www.databull.com who are very good and it is only a one off cost to subscribe.

Paul