The High-Flyer's Porsche Strategy

Trevor2522

I once read a story about a poor guy in New York challenging a young, apparently-wealthy trader getting into his Porsche parked at the kerbside. The trader, possibly in options, only took a couple of years to achieve his success. The poor guy stated that he subsequently took the hint, copied his mentor's strategy and achieved a similar level of success. An illustration of 'getting rich quick', or a fishy tale ... I don't know, except that fortunes are made and lost in big city financial markets.

My question here is: for those not content to just wager, say, 1% of their pot, per trade, on a spread bet account (i.e. slow and steady) -- but willing to take higher risks, what options (figuratively and literally) are available in the trading scene? It would appear the above example is one of a trader working on generous commissions for a financial services company handling very large deposits and trades; hence the big rewards. Are these out-of-reach of the home-based trader working on his own account, or genuinely possible if his deposit (and nerves) are strong enough? Could anyone give me an idea of risk-to-reward ratios, pot-size and instruments which the big DMA (direct market access) traders work around? Thank you.