HELP PLEASE University Course For Stock Broking

JarnalKalsi

Hi Guys I could really use some advice here’s my situation, I am currently studying Biology, Physics and Economics A-levels. I want to become a stockbroker but I’m not too sure which course would be best for me. I am in my second year but due to certain circumstances have been forced to take a gap year. In this time I will most probably do some work experience and volunteer work. I know that you don’t necessarily need to do economics at university but I quite enjoy it, the only problem is all of the courses I see require an A-level in Maths. Are there any university courses you guys can recommend to best put me on the path to become a stockbroker? Any help would be much appreciated
If you find anything please send me a link or something Thankyou

Hi Guys I could really use some advice here’s my situation, I am currently studying Biology, Physics and Economics A-levels. I want to become a stockbroker but I’m not too sure which course would be best for me. I am in my second year but due to certain circumstances have been forced to take a gap year. In this time I will most probably do some work experience and volunteer work. I know that you don’t necessarily need to do economics at university but I quite enjoy it, the only problem is all of the courses I see require an A-level in Maths. Are there any university courses you guys can recommend to best put me on the path to become a stockbroker? Any help would be much appreciated

Try looking in Linked In..search for Stockbroker.
They all started with normal, run of the mill degrees. Economics, politics, law, Accounting, Maths. There is no graduation in stockbroking to fast track you (perhaps a certificate from Trader's university!), you will have to start at the bottom like everyone else.

Why do A-level Physics and not Maths? I always say if you are going to do Physics, then do Maths too. Your A-levels are usually related to your degree. The science (esp Phys) and Economics degrees will have a large maths content so if it was me, I would be doing A-level maths. I would take an extra year or two to do A-level maths and then do a Physics degree which will then give you lots of career options

Last edited:
Hi Jarnal,
Welcome to T2W.

In addition to the comments already offered, I suggest you contact some stockbrokers and ask them direct. Better still, ask to go to their offices and see the various departments. Most large firms will probably have a Human Resources dept' and they will be happy to tell you what qualifications and experience they require. Take a look at these FAQs on Hargreaves Lansdown's site: Careers FAQs Something you might do well to keep in mind is that many stockbrokers are essentially salespeople and, likely as not, you'll have sales targets to meet in terms of new clients and the amount of capital under management. Sales isn't everyone's cup of tea. On the other hand, those that are good at it can earn good money and are never out of work for long.

Lastly, take a look at our own related FAQ. It's aimed at people wanting to get a job as a trader with an investment bank or proprietory trading firm, but many of the ideas will be equally applicable to you: How Do I get a Job Trading?

Good luck!
Tim.

I'm not sure it really matters what degree you do (in fact a degree isn't technically required - though probably useful to get into a reputable firm). You do realise that a 'Stock Broker' is essentially a salesperson? If you're doing some work experience in your year off then get some form of sales role - become one those annoying people who stop people in the street and solicit charity donations... you'll get plenty of practice closing people - essentially the main requirement for this sort of role is having people skills.
If you're looking at sales roles then there are also sales trader roles at banks, broker roles at the likes of ICAP etc...

Hi JK

I suggest you start trading the market in a small way and that way you will learn what is really involved. No University Degree is going to teach you how to trade.

You can start with a small Spread betting account for FREE Virtual Trading and see how you do. They all offer FREE SEMINARS for you to learn trading.

Once you start MAKING money its very easy to put you at the top of the CV List -

Your interest in trading AND if you can show you have already made profits - even in a virtual account - will at least guarantee you a better chance of an interview.

Plus you will know the financial markets a lot better and decide if it what you want to get into.

Look at the FSA websites for Securities Exams you can take.

Lots of FREE resources on this FORUM and on the Internet.

Best of Luck:smart:

The Protected Trader

As a previous poster said, it is mostly a sales position. The industry calls them 'account representatives'. Successful brokers are not the stereotypical pushy, 'cold-calling' types, but instead are good at conversation on a variety of subjects, with a variety of people. You especially want to be able to 'talk markets' and sound like you know more than the average prospective client. The best preparation is to begin following the markets and market-related news on a regular basis. And begin trading yourself, with a small account.