Hard Drive Strangely Refills In Two Days

jonnyy40

Experienced member
Hello,

I sent several programmes over to my portable HD and deleted them on my laptop,which showed I had 6.5 Gigabytes freespace 2 days ago.Yeasterday it was down to 4.8 and today zero.When I rebooted it now says I have 811 megabytes free.I did a small update but nowhere near more than 100 Megabytes.I've had this situation before in the past.I can't remove any more large programmes from the HD.How can I check exactly what is causing this? It's only an 80GB HD and maybe I will buy another laptop as I can't find the original Toshiba CD so I can't install a bigger hard drive without this?? I'd like to know what is causing this sudden 'filling up' problem,though,before I give in.

Thanks for the quick replies.AVG can't find a virus.I looked at www.drivemylaptop.co.uk .Is that a reputable firm (warehouse only) for hard drives? Can anyone suggest anyone else? Also,I moved home and I can't find the original Toshiba disk that came with the laptop.Can I still replace the drive and save 'the computer' in my backup hard drive and then simply reload it back into the new drive? How does the process work?

I think it must be a hack or the software that reads the disk space is corrupted? Anyway,it's beyond my competence to solve it and a replacement 500GB HD is actually quite cheap to my surprise.I don't use Ninja or anything else heavy on the laptop.

Ordered a Seagate 500GB drive and a 'SATA migration kit' from drivemylaptop and it's all now installed. £56 for the drive and £18 for the kit which included acronis easy migrate 7 (the disc is blank,you just use the activation code and download it from acronis.com).You get a metal 'disc-caddy'
and one of those double USB to an outside HD cables.I couldn't use both USB plugs because the cable was too short but already had one from my maxtor one-touch external HD.The caddy is very tight so don't put the new drive all the way in as you copy.When I pulled it out,the connector came with it bt I pushed it back together and it still works.Maybe just one of the USB plugs is sufficient but I wasn't going to try it.This link takes you through the process I used (on Vista).
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2345359,00.asp