Food for thought

Kilnside

Lifted from Lockergnome:

Gnomie sgmkevin writes:

I have just started using forums as places to read the thoughts of everyday people like myself. One thing I have noticed and taken issue with at several sites, and that's the lack of responsibility of some of the posters. Let's all step back and think about something. The other day 3 young people lost their lives defending your right to say what you will. Three "kids" who will never again have the opportunity to voice their opinions in forums such as these. Prior to this, thousands have died ensuring you have the opportunity to say things that they never will. Folks, I don't know about you but that puts a weight of responsibility right square upon my shoulders. A responsibility to say what I feel but to do it in terms that are inoffensive to the majority of others. To be respectful of others' opinions no matter how wrong I think they are.

Yes, freedom of speech is a given right in this country, but along with that it also gives the weight of responsibility!

So the next time you get ready to post something in response to something somebody else has posted, remember that that person may be the next one to die defending your right to post it. Then maybe what you were going to write won't sound so good.

unquote