Experiences with ActiveTick.com?

macdice

Hi

I have been looking at the website of ActiveTick.com which seems to offer market data including FX, NYSE and Nasdaq at a very low price, and I couldn't find any mention of them good or bad on forums so I think they may be brand new (but I may have missed something). Currently they have only Windows-based software, but they promise a Java-based system 'soon' at which point I will be interested in trying out the market data API service (my lab is a Unix only zone). I'm only interested in an unrelenting torrent of market data to nourish and train my school of robotic attack squid, not the fancy graphics and back testing for humans. Does anyone have any experience with these guys and the quality of the data yet? What business model could possibly allow them charge so little ($13/month), and still cover the exchange fees, bandwidth, and power? It certainly *looks* like a good deal...

Market data API:
http://www.activetick.com/activetick/contents/PlatformFeaturesMarketDataAPI.aspx

Prices:
http://www.activetick.com/activetick/contents/Default.aspx?selectedTab=2

I tried the trial recently and compared with my verified data I use for testing; very very bad data in my opinion. I should have known better from the spelling errors on their web page.

As they say, you get what you pay for....

I've used them for about two months. They're not bad. I ran activetick and ameritrade's streamer side by side for a few weeks, and activetick is ahead almost all the time. So for the last month or so I've been running on their software without any issues.

They have a decent charting package, most of the commonly used indicators, tech analysis tools, etc. You can program your own technical indicators if you know how.

I got my hands on their data feed api also, but haven't had any time to explore the capabilities yet. The api interface looked simple though.

They do lack on options, if you trade them, you'd better look elsewhere.

I also like their support, was able to talk to them at 10pm CST!

My two cents...

Hi

I have been looking at the website of ActiveTick.com which seems to offer market data including FX, NYSE and Nasdaq at a very low price, and I couldn't find any mention of them good or bad on forums so I think they may be brand new (but I may have missed something). Currently they have only Windows-based software, but they promise a Java-based system 'soon' at which point I will be interested in trying out the market data API service (my lab is a Unix only zone). I'm only interested in an unrelenting torrent of market data to nourish and train my school of robotic attack squid, not the fancy graphics and back testing for humans. Does anyone have any experience with these guys and the quality of the data yet? What business model could possibly allow them charge so little ($13/month), and still cover the exchange fees, bandwidth, and power? It certainly *looks* like a good deal...

Market data API:
http://www.activetick.com/activetick/contents/PlatformFeaturesMarketDataAPI.aspx

Prices:
http://www.activetick.com/activetick/contents/Default.aspx?selectedTab=2

I was comparing them for back-testing. I would not rate ameritrade as a real-time historical server; more of a quote server.

Whlie I was on trial, I compared ActiveTick to eSignal real-time and historical data I purchased and their quality was severly lacking for historical purposes.

Again, if you don't mind having errors in your data, have fun with Activetick.

Thanks for you replies, guys.

kipptrader: what sort of data problems did you see with the real-time data? Missing ticks? Bad ticks/spikes? Delays? Variable lag?

Hi

Don't know anything about them.

If you want something you can run on Linux, DTN IQFeed works perfectly under Wine. I've been a subscriber for about 9 months and I've never had an outage or any other problem. I'm running on 64 bit Ubuntu 9.04.

The 'API' is just a bunch of messages over a TCP connection. Fields are comma delimited text and it's very easy to code to, even if not especially elegant. All my code is Java, but you can use whatever you like.

DTN's high end product NxCore also reportedly works on Linux.

Dont waste your time with activetick

I found missing end of day data on AAPL and I have emailed, left message, stayed on hold....this company is junk and I am moving on!!!