Entry by Easy Language / Exit by Setting

Maggie_Swan

I'm a day trader of ES futures.

10am Orders entry: according to EasyLangauge strategy (TradeStation 9.0)

11am My PC down: suddenly out of power

3pm How to exit all outstanding positions automatically before day end?
What should be the setting?

Thanks a lot.

[email protected]

Hi Maggie,

Not from the Platform I guess, but you can easily achieve this through your broker, asking them to squareoff the Positions if any at this particular time.

The new orders will not be triggered, Unless the Tradestation is ON.

Good Luck,
Manigandan.

Manigandan:
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll ask TradeStation to do so for me.
But the commission of such configuration will be much higher than normal.

Other forum friends,
If you know any setting at TradeStation Platform, kindly let me know.

Hi Maggie,

Not from the Platform I guess, but you can easily achieve this through your broker, asking them to squareoff the Positions if any at this particular time.

The new orders will not be triggered, Unless the Tradestation is ON.

Good Luck,
Manigandan.

It is a while since I used Tradestation but I would have thought that something along the lines of
If marketposition = 1 and time = endsession1 then exitlong at close;

If marketposition = -1 and time = endsession1 then exitsell at close;

This will not be the actual code but the principles are correct.

Paul

I'm a day trader of ES futures.

10am Orders entry: according to EasyLangauge strategy (TradeStation 9.0)

11am My PC down: suddenly out of power

3pm How to exit all outstanding positions automatically before day end?
What should be the setting?

Thanks a lot.

[email protected]
The code for this is actually irrelevant, because it will ony action if there is an easylanguage strategy running on your pc at the time it needs to be enforced. If that pc is out of action then the strategy will not be running.

Having said that you can send an order server-side, so you can send an advanced futures order with a time activation rule e.g time is greater than or equal to 3pm

The easiest way though is to phone the broker to close all positions or have a backup pc/connection.

You might also consider Tradestation web trader. This alllows you to place orders , manage open orders etc from any pc without the fully fledged TS software.

Charlton

The easiest way though is to phone the broker to close all positions

This is the only way that will work properly, give you confirmation, and let you sleep easily that night. If you are more worried about the higher commission costs than you are about the potential losses then you have a problem.

Peter

Trader333, thanks for advise. But my situation does not work because the PC is down already.

It is a while since I used Tradestation but I would have thought that something along the lines of
If marketposition = 1 and time = endsession1 then exitlong at close;

If marketposition = -1 and time = endsession1 then exitsell at close;

This will not be the actual code but the principles are correct.

Paul

Charlton,

Thanks for your advise.
But "Activation Rule" cannot help because I don't know the latest position (LONG or SHORT or FLAT) :?:
By using "Activation Rule", I must tell TradeStation to BUY or SELL in advance.
But the latest strategy is determined by the EasyLanguage Strategy.
So I can't know the latest position just before the PC is down.

I live in Asia. US Time 3pm is equivalent to my time 3am :sleep::sleep:
So I can't call TRADE DESK / use WEB TRADER to exit the orders for me.
When I wake up, everything is too late :(

May I know further suggestion?
Thanks.

[email protected] :eek:

The code for this is actually irrelevant, because it will ony action if there is an easylanguage strategy running on your pc at the time it needs to be enforced. If that pc is out of action then the strategy will not be running.

Having said that you can send an order server-side, so you can send an advanced futures order with a time activation rule e.g time is greater than or equal to 3pm

The easiest way though is to phone the broker to close all positions or have a backup pc/connection.

You might also consider Tradestation web trader. This alllows you to place orders , manage open orders etc from any pc without the fully fledged TS software.

Charlton

Dear Peter,

I don't mind paying higher commission. But TradeStation TRADE DESK said that they can't help me to exit unknown positions.

Scenario 1
2:59pm I have an outstanding LONG position.
3:00pm TradeStation exit the outstanding position by a "Sell" order automatically at market price.

Scenario 2
2:59pm I have an outstanding SHORT position.
3:00pm TradeStation exit the outstanding position by a "BuyToCover" order automatically at market price.

Scenario 3
2:59pm I don't have any position (FLAT).
3:00pm TradeStation will do nothing.

May I have your further suggestion?
Thanks.

[email protected] :eek:

This is the only way that will work properly, give you confirmation, and let you sleep easily that night. If you are more worried about the higher commission costs than you are about the potential losses then you have a problem.

Peter

Dear Peter,

I don't mind paying higher commission. But TradeStation TRADE DESK said that they can't help me to exit unknown positions.

I don't use Tradestation...but your above statement doesn't seem to make any sense. If you call them they should be able to look up your account and see what positions you have. Just tell them you want to be flat all positions.

According to their website you can call the trade desk to place orders 24 hours a day for futures, forex, or for technical help. The phone number is (USA phone #) (800) 837-8951

Peter

Dear Peter,

If I call TradeStation TradeDesk at 2:59pm, the staff can exit all outstanding positions for me.
But if call TradeDesk at 9am and request to exit all outstanding positions for me at 2:59pm, TradeDesk cannot do this.

What else can I do? Many thanks.

[email protected]

I don't use Tradestation...but your above statement doesn't seem to make any sense. If you call them they should be able to look up your account and see what positions you have. Just tell them you want to be flat all positions.

According to their website you can call the trade desk to place orders 24 hours a day for futures, forex, or for technical help. The phone number is (USA phone #) (800) 837-8951

Peter

Dear Peter,

If I call TradeStation TradeDesk at 2:59pm, the staff can exit all outstanding positions for me.
But if call TradeDesk at 9am and request to exit all outstanding positions for me at 2:59pm, TradeDesk cannot do this.

What else can I do? Many thanks.

[email protected]

You don't seem to understand. When your PC is not working you have limited options.
A) Call at 9am and exit your positions NOW
--- OR ---
B) Call at 2:59pm and exit your positions at the end of the day

If you'd rather be busy sleeping or doing something else during those times then no one here can help you.

Also, you are a vendor and you don't understand this?

I don't know why I bother sometimes.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

You don't seem to understand. When your PC is not working you have limited options.
A) Call at 9am and exit your positions NOW
--- OR ---
B) Call at 2:59pm and exit your positions at the end of the day

If you'd rather be busy sleeping or doing something else during those times then no one here can help you.

Also, you are a vendor and you don't understand this?

I don't know why I bother sometimes.

Peter

Dear Maggi,

I do not know if your problem is still actuell, but there must be a kind of order which you can give directly, when you open your position.

For example, if you go long then you also can give Limit and Profit Order and you also can get out of the market at a special time (e.g. 2 minutes before market close), or market on close kind of auction at the end (possible on Eurex, do not know if it is possible at Globex). Important is that these orders are given togehter with the your entry, so that you can be sure to be flat at the end of trading time. These order type is called bracket order (e.g. one entry, one profit target, one stop loss limit and closing order at the end of trading period, if nothing happend before). Do not know the types of orders which can be given at the Globex. But usually, the guys at Tradestation can help and inform you about the exit possibilities.

Regards
Sansara:)

Last edited: