Do you think that technology is advancing too fast?

burdianex

im sure most people will not agree with me, but i'm not a big fan of the latest technology.
i think that everyone is getting much too obsessed with electronics, having the latest "touch screen" cell phone, and the coolest ipods which just keep getting worse.
in my opinion, the cell phones from around 2005 are better than the ones now. they're always breaking,dying too quickly,or freezing up.
but anyways...i just wish our society would slow down a bit with the technology. i know it does contain a lot of good things,but people cant let it take over their lives.
does anyone else even slightly agree?

technology is much like fashion.
those economies have to have built-in obsolescnce, in order to sell new products.

as you say, mobile phones are perfectly serviceable, even after a few years.
much like clothes.

there is the artificial demand to encourage new purchases.

so yes, to a degree, I agree with you.
there are very few game-changing apps or services which require an upgrade.
the new offerings tend to be just incremental variations of a workable core.

technology is much like fashion.
those economies have to have built-in obsolescnce, in order to sell new products.

as you say, mobile phones are perfectly serviceable, even after a few years.
much like clothes.

there is the artificial demand to encourage new purchases.

so yes, to a degree, I agree with you.
there are very few game-changing apps or services which require an upgrade.
the new offerings tend to be just incremental variations of a workable core.

As an aside, Richard Wilson fronted a programme touring Yorks during which he was shown around the area by some Goths who said they moved to the area because London was too fast and commercial whereas Whitby was like living 60 years ago and therefore safer and more social.:)

As an aside, Richard Wilson fronted a programme touring Yorks during which he was shown around the area by some Goths who said they moved to the area because London was too fast and commercial whereas Whitby was like living 60 years ago and therefore safer and more social.:)

I don't believe it.

.....i think that everyone is getting much too obsessed with electronics, having the latest "touch screen" cell phone, and the coolest ipods which just keep getting worse.
This is all just part of the human delusion.....they cannot control themselves.....due to their attachments/cravings.
.....i just wish our society would slow down a bit with the technology. i know it does contain a lot of good things, but people cant let it take over their lives.
First thing you need to understand, there is NO such a thing as an "I".....Second thing is there are no such a thing as "ours".
If there is an offer, one does not need to accept.....but it takes a wise person not to accept!

Until someone invents a machine that at the press of a switch I could turn my wife (or your wife) into a 21 year old beach volleyball champion then technology can march at the double all it likes. About 30 years ago I saw a Movie called Battlestar Gallactica. On it they had a gizzy that at the turn of a button it would synthesise alien languages into passable English. That techno is with us today, live in hope that the "instant lapdancer" is just around the corner.

First thing you need to understand, there is NO such a thing as an "I".....S

No such thing as I..So the person writing this, expressing his opinion doesn't exist? so why should we even listen to yours?

malaguti said:
No such thing as I..So the person writing this, expressing his opinion doesn't exist? so why should we even listen to yours?
It would be "off topic" to discuss this any further.....if you wish, you can open a new thread under the foyer and I will show you how deep the rabbit hole goes!

im sure most people will not agree with me, but i'm not a big fan of the latest technology.
i think that everyone is getting much too obsessed with electronics, having the latest "touch screen" cell phone, and the coolest ipods which just keep getting worse.
in my opinion, the cell phones from around 2005 are better than the ones now. they're always breaking,dying too quickly,or freezing up.
but anyways...i just wish our society would slow down a bit with the technology. i know it does contain a lot of good things,but people cant let it take over their lives.

The one thing that does concern me is how much people are letting things go in the name of technology. My big gripe at the moment (wait five minutes and I can you another one...) is that due to the mobile phones, the iPods and the like people are conditioned to think that mp3s are a great way to listen to music.

Back when I was a kid, when the rocks were still cooling, we would all be concerned about the quality of the sound. Even here at home in the home office I make sure that I have decent speakers, proper old British amplifiers, cracking cables and the like and I can hear things which are lost on the modern devices.

But what is worst is that people today are fed these products and assume that the noise that comes out of a pair of 70p earbuds is what it should sound like. What does worry me is that I wonder where tomorrow's sound engineers and producers are going to come from.

The one thing that does concern me is how much people are letting things go in the name of technology. My big gripe at the moment (wait five minutes and I can you another one...) is that due to the mobile phones, the iPods and the like people are conditioned to think that mp3s are a great way to listen to music.

Back when I was a kid, when the rocks were still cooling, we would all be concerned about the quality of the sound. Even here at home in the home office I make sure that I have decent speakers, proper old British amplifiers, cracking cables and the like and I can hear things which are lost on the modern devices.

But what is worst is that people today are fed these products and assume that the noise that comes out of a pair of 70p earbuds is what it should sound like. What does worry me is that I wonder where tomorrow's sound engineers and producers are going to come from.

One problem that might manifest itself is a growing inability of young people to use their imagination: an ability to use the imagination whilst reading a book rather than be presented with TV etc images negating the use of imagination. Similarly many cannot research, analyse, select and present information that supports or otherwise a given statement or theory. Rather, cut and pasted information taken from the Pc is often presented as an essay albeit the "essay" does not come close to answering any questions presented. Many have not the sense to alter font size whilst cutting and pasting. You can hear the howls of pain several miles away when the student has an essay returned with large red lines through it.:)

no more schools?...blimey they are even talking about dropping hand writing! everything will be online and even doctors are starting to diagnose online. the next big thing looks like google glass and then smart contact lenses ...it won't stop and the oldies need to try and keep up. it is driven by the biggest motivator the world has ever known ...money.

i have always been fscinated by technology i think it's incredible the way it is going and to be honest i am looking forward to the future even though i'm in the upper quartile of life. the one thing that concerns me is privacy but the young ones don't seem to give a hoot with facebook and twitter and the like.

it's hard but i've been trying to change the old software installed in my brain many years ago and i still think i have the necessary processor/memory to cope with the new ideas ...at least for now:)

Of course I think for example the smartphones nowadays are a total waste, they have to slow down and make them to last long for example the battery life.

Not as fast as I would like. IMO things should move a little bit faster than this.
But of course we all want phones with longer battery lives.

Heres my contribution to this Grumpy old men thread ..........;)

Everything in the universe is perfect........inventions and advancements always arrive at the time they are meant to and neither a minute too early or too late

its us old school thats the problem in accepting this brave new world ........:cool:

N

There is no real need to accept technology if you don't want to. Someone close to me hates computers, mobiles and doesn't even wear a watch. In fact lives in the 1950s still !!
Drives everyone else crazy but she is not bothered 1 bit.
It's all a matter of perception.

There is no real need to accept technology if you don't want to. Someone close to me hates computers, mobiles and doesn't even wear a watch. In fact lives in the 1950s still !!
Drives everyone else crazy but she is not bothered 1 bit.
It's all a matter of perception.

I have my 5 year old computer, a Casio that I picked up in the street that keeps perfect time, one store card but no credit cards, a paranoic distrust of money exchanging online (still use a chequebook and the RM , takes ages, I know, but I post early), no mobile phone and, at present, no debt.

However, I do concede that online trading is better than telephone`and my kids tell me that I soon learn to use new gadgets when it suits me, so there are flaws in my argument.

Last edited:

buddism teaches that technology (or anything) can neither advance to fast or to slow........it is perfect

(jees how much did I drink last night ? :whistling)
N

If you are in the UK just watch click and other gadget programmes to be right up to date. For instance this morning they featured the new Sony5 playstation just out. Exo-skeletons that will let the oldies zoom past sleepy youngsters.

As for that talking, gorgeous model ? Sure to be out soon. Hopefully it will have an off switch that many women need.

If you are in the UK just watch click and other gadget programmes to be right up to date. For instance this morning they featured the new Sony5 playstation just out. Exo-skeletons that will let the oldies zoom past sleepy youngsters.

As for that talking, gorgeous model ? Sure to be out soon. Hopefully it will have an off switch that many women need.

Do you know what? I'd rather read a good book, and not on a Kindle, either.

Although I see that downloading some are getting cheap.

Maybe, I might need plastic, after all---although I could use Paypal.

I might have to get more modern, after all. :confused: