DayOfMonth() – any clever way of specifying today's date?

webmal

The following filter is a snippet of my exploration: (GapUp() = 1) AND (DayOfMonth() = 2)

I require only stocks that gap up today. FYI there is a few stocks that gap up a few days ago and then don't trade thereafter. I have to change the date everyday, which is a hassle . I know I can change the data loading option to "1" but then my MA in the exploration won't work. Is there a clever way of doing this?

Thank you :)

Webmal

webmal - I'm not sure I've understood correctly, but...

If you're looking for stocks that have gapped up today (and I assume you're talking about (a) EOD data and (b) a 'true' gap i.e. today's low higher than yesterday's high) then:-

make a col of your exploration "if(L>ref(H,-1),1,0)".

Dear Webmal,

I've developed a free MetaStock plugin that gets around this issue and need some testers. Please send me a private email and I'll get back to you with a location to download it.

For example, you'll be able to do:
(GapUp() = 1) AND ExtFml("NexusDate.DaysOld") = 1

The "DaysOld" bit works on calendar days... so you'll have to watch out if you do any work on a Sunday as there's obviously no trading data on Saturday. Similar issues might exist on public holiday boundaries too.

Also, if you're watching stocks that do not trade for an entire day then their liquidity is dubious at best. Watch out for extremely levels of slippage.

Cheers,
Richard.

If anyone of you gets on as 'tester' for Richard, then please provide your feedback on this site...

Richard has been on many sites that has MS users, promoting his site so I am curious....

This is a free site....so use it accordingly and have respect for it........don't use this site to to promote a not so free site...There is no need to 'lure' people as a tester....

Richard, what is the 'tester' required to do...Say it here rather than as a PM....what is so sacred that you can't publish the 'testers' requirements on this public site????

Hi Zambuck,

I prefer to test my routines that I give out rather than release them into the wild immediately without at least a few people testing them.

There's no catches at all... I develop these MetaStock plugins purely because I use them (due to limitations or the Metastock formula language).

The requirement is that you have MetaStock v7 or above - that's it.

Cheers,
Richard.

In addition, Zambuck, I've sent you a link to the page for the plugin. Just don't want it to be widespread until a few more people have tested it.

Cheers,
Richard.

Richard

I have seen the web page...and I see what you have tried to address.....It looks very good indeed on paper...I will download it any try out..

If I like it then I will as you have said pay any charity..

Please recommend which charity and what would be a fair sum.....???

Any worthy charity is fine - I prefer charities that try to fix the cause not the symptom (ie ones that teach people, ones that perform research to prevent others in the future having whatever the issue is etc.)... and the sum is up to you.

The offer is open to anyone to test this so just private message me and I'll give you the link. Testing should be completed within a couple of weeks and it'll go public then.

Cheers,
Richard.