Day, swing and position trading.

jd1888

Hi all

I would like to ask all out there a few questions about trading in the hope that all newbies including myself will get a bit of incite into how the pros/consistently profitable traders out there trade.

1. What is the most common risk strategy used when day, swing and position trading?
2. What are the most common time frames used for taking signals day, swing and position trading?
3. What is the most commonly traded method for day, swing and position trades?

I know everyone is different so it would be good to get some views from people in each style so us newbies who would like to trade in that way gets a bit of a helping hand.

Could anyone answering please state which style they trade.

Thanks to all in advance.

Hi all

I would like to ask all out there a few questions about trading in the hope that all newbies including myself will get a bit of incite into how the pros/consistently profitable traders out there trade.

1. What is the most common risk strategy used when day, swing and position trading?
2. What are the most common time frames used for taking signals day, swing and position trading?
3. What is the most commonly traded method for day, swing and position trades?

I know everyone is different so it would be good to get some views from people in each style so us newbies who would like to trade in that way gets a bit of a helping hand.

Could anyone answering please state which style they trade.

Thanks to all in advance.

The reason there are no responses is because the questions dont make sense as they are too open ended. Need to be more precise if you expect some answers.

1. What is a risk strategy?
2. What are the signal you ask about?
3. There are thousands of methods.

The devil is in the detail:devilish:

Aaaahhhh ok I see thanks for the reply, I shall give examples of what I meant in the hope that this may help.

1. 2% maximum risk per trade etc, where people place stops eg nearest valley/peak or whatever?
2. Entry and exit signals, what I'm trying to gauge is what time frames are most people looking at during the day to take trades?
3.I know there are thousands, I was just trying to find some of the most common ones that profitable traders use.

Hope that makes sense.

WallStreet if this helps would you be so kind to add your opinion or style?

Thanks

Aaaahhhh ok I see thanks for the reply, I shall give examples of what I meant in the hope that this may help.

1. 2% maximum risk per trade etc, where people place stops eg nearest valley/peak or whatever?
2. Entry and exit signals, what I'm trying to gauge is what time frames are most people looking at during the day to take trades?
3.I know there are thousands, I was just trying to find some of the most common ones that profitable traders use.

Hope that makes sense.

WallStreet if this helps would you be so kind to add your opinion or style?

Thanks

OK well I am great believer on having no constraints. I dont trade any particular time frame as it depends on where I think the market will go. For example , there is no point in looking at an hourly chart if we are trading in a tight range, in this example you can either do 2 things, stay out of the market or adapt and use say a 5 minute chart.

If you have read any of my other posts you will know I dont agree with the risk % that people talk about on forums. Risk is relevant to knowing your probability, and maximising profitability.

Most use 2% risk because they dont know the difference in the trades they are taking, because the use mechanical rigid rules. Every trade is NOT the same. Highs/lows, support/resistance are not the same every time. There are so many variables to consider, but as this takes too much time most will just play them as equals, and thats fine if that is what one wants to do. But it will limit your ultimate results.

May I ask why you are concerned with what timeframes others are using? Do you want to join in with the majority, or is it for another reason?

The questions you ask can not be answered on a single post. Im not even sure if asking this on forums will help, but I understand this maybe your first port of call.

If everyone replied to you saying they used hourly timframes would it really help? What happens if the respondents were telling porkies? You see where im coming from, forums are dangerous because we dont know who is telling the truth.

Always do the work yourself and come to your own conclusions. I know it may not be what you want to hear, but that is the bottom line.

I doubt Lord Sir Alan Sugar was bothered about what others were doing when he started out. Or Usian Bolt is concerned with how fast others are running. They are focused on themselves. In trading focus is vital, compare yourself to no-one.

If you sat infront of a trading screen for 6 hours a day for a month, you will be on your way to answering the questions you put forward.

Good luck to you:clover:

Thank you for the reply, that is what I was looking for, I hope you were being honest.....lol

You may ask why I ask these questions. Here is the answer........ That was kind of the idea I was getting at if successful day traders were looking at a 15 minute chart then surely that would be the best time frame to be using? I do however understand where you are coming from about the people on here may be lying and yeah it may not help at all but it's somewhere to start.

I have done a lot of my own work and I think I may have come up with something that would work for me trading for real, but I have the psychological aspects to try and overcome first. Can I ask how you deal with these?

I am currently reading a book called The Market Makers Edge which explains ways to trade stocks with the market makers not against them, I know a book isn't the be all and end all but what is said in the book does make sense, but like you say is this best approach to learning??????

I take your points onboard and hopefully this will help me on my way.

Thank you, good luck to yourself too.

Surely somone has something to add?

What is common and what works may be quite different.
I personally trade the swings on 15 and 1 hr charts. So, I guess I am an inter-day swing trader.
Trading myself since 1969, I have done all of the above. My method today is not the most PROFITABLE, I have ever been; however, it suits my personality and goals at this point. That to me is KEY. Trade what YOU, can DO. NOT what someone else does. Know yourself, and what you are able to do, psychologically and financially.

IF you think I can help, I am happy to. There is nothing here, I have not encountered in my own trading.

Thank you for the reply, that is what I was looking for, I hope you were being honest.....lol

You may ask why I ask these questions. Here is the answer........ That was kind of the idea I was getting at if successful day traders were looking at a 15 minute chart then surely that would be the best time frame to be using? I do however understand where you are coming from about the people on here may be lying and yeah it may not help at all but it's somewhere to start.

I have done a lot of my own work and I think I may have come up with something that would work for me trading for real, but I have the psychological aspects to try and overcome first. Can I ask how you deal with these?

I am currently reading a book called The Market Makers Edge which explains ways to trade stocks with the market makers not against them, I know a book isn't the be all and end all but what is said in the book does make sense, but like you say is this best approach to learning??????

I take your points onboard and hopefully this will help me on my way.

Thank you, good luck to yourself too.

With literally thousands of successful methods, and ten times as many losers. I am happy to help with a little more specific info. IF the basis of the strategy is GOOD, and the person EXECUTING the strategy can handle it. FINE..........IF the strategy is GOOD and the executor cannot DO IT...........You fall into the losing 90% . That is just the reality of it.