Crime and punishment

Pat494

Legendary member
13,347 1,297
Watched an excellent Poirot play lately. The husband was the obvious suspect and of course arrested.
But before he was brought to trial something seemed to be wrong. The defendand made no effort to defend himself.
I won't bore you with the story BUT it did make a valid point.
Which was that the husband could have produced a cast iron alibi for his innocence.
The point of the story was that indeed he was the murderer but if he had already been tried and acquitted he could not have been tried again for the same offence and hence got away with it.

One of the obvious absurdities of English Law imho.

Pat494

Legendary member
13,347 1,297
Surely I must have misheard it off the radio when it was said that small offenders would no longer be sent to jail.
Can't be true can it ?
Politicians living in luxury in the leafy suburbs probably don't get involved in much crime but what about the rest ?
Well I suppose they are saving some money up for their next payrise ???????????

trendie

Legendary member
6,087 975
Surely I must have misheard it off the radio when it was said that small offenders would no longer be sent to jail.
Can't be true can it ?
Politicians living in luxury in the leafy suburbs probably don't get involved in much crime but what about the rest ?
Well I suppose they are saving some money up for their next payrise ???????????
I think its any custodial sentences under 1 year are to be abolished.

Pat494

Legendary member
13,347 1,297
I would give judges/ magistrates etc. more power to ask pertinent questions in Court as in Europe. So often the prosecution /defence lawyers " forget " to ask the relevent questions with the obvious results.

Pat494

Legendary member
13,347 1,297
I think its any custodial sentences under 1 year are to be abolished.
How long before it's 2 years ?
Perhaps they should ask the criminals' permission to arrest them too !
Come on who is in charge ?
The soppy do-gooders imho.

If they had hung the first people to be convicted of say knife crime murders a lot of innocent youngsters would still be alive today.

Last edited:

Signalcalc

2,745 552
Plenty of crime, but no punishment, why?

Police RAVE with eco-warriors chanting 'we love you' in Oxford Circus

Pat494

Legendary member
13,347 1,297
Good on the climate change protestors.
Let's hope Trump will see the light before it is too late for the planet. Another 4 years ! Aaah !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Signalcalc

2,745 552
Good on the climate change protestors.
Let's hope Trump will see the light before it is too late for the planet. Another 4 years ! Aaah !!!!!!!!!!!!!
So it's OK for some to commit crime and get away with it, but not others? Can you imagine the clampdown that would occur if these were peaceful Brexiteers? o_O

1984 :eek:

Pat494

Legendary member
13,347 1,297
310 murdered in Sri Lanka by muslim extremists and another 500 injured.
Apparently there was plenty of warning but no action taken.
You would think the clergy would have some people at the door to check wild eyed lunatics carrying rucksacks full of explosives !
Pathetic precautions and a home run for the terrorists.
It is said It was a tit-for-tat revenge killing for the NZ nutter's killings.
It could get a lot worse.
What can be done ?
Pius mutterings by the clergy are NO effing good.

Signalcalc

2,745 552
You would think the clergy would have some people at the door to check wild eyed lunatics carrying rucksacks full of explosives !
What can be done ?
What amazes me is how they conclude it's tit for tat for NZ! As if there aren't any other islamic sponsored attacks around the world on a daily basis before and after NZ, non-Muslim killings by Muslims are rife in every corner of the globe, thousands murdered every year.

If it was tit for tat, then why were no white supremacists targeted? Why pick on Christians in a place of worship? Are the hotels of Sri Lanka a hotbed of white supremacy?

The media must believe that people are gullible enough to believe their narrative. Maybe they are correct in that belief.

It's a bit like declaring Notre Dame an accident before any investigation has begun, after 825 churches in France were attacked last year, with a 25% increase already this year.

We are not stupid and understand exactly what is going on, the disbelief is in the government and MSM reaction to it all and the constant narrative that attempts to not implicate Islam.

Next they'll be telling us it's a group of deranged lunatics escaped from the asylum.

Reactions: Atilla

Signalcalc

2,745 552
What can be done ?
Problem for the clergy and churches in general is that Christianity is a religion of peace, they welcome all with open arms, it has been the job of governments to protect it's citizens over the centuries, the church will either have to rely on governments to protect them (unlikely, unwise, useless without a change of government), start introducing security on church entrances (unlikely, expensive, alters the day to day living of the Church) or say a few prayers (most likely).

Having said that, didn't the London Mayor, Khant, put extra police security on Mosques following NZ, at taxpayers expense? Why not for churches?