Can you be long and short at same time?

Well I'm now convinced, and have converted to Barjon's side.

yes a bit of a lame post
but when reading this thread i have been thinking back to when being long and short at the same time helped me make make quite a nice amount
so thats a pro -right
i might explain to someone in the anti pro lobby if they agree not to publish
but acknowledge
i dont think you will like the explanation

That's not what I was asking though. 400 open trades at once seems ridiculous to me, I hate having 2!

granted, I couldn't have 400. but he does, and that's the point. he is also up on his thread, with commissions. So yes it would seem you can.

......................I'm gonna quote your post out of order, but:

Just in case anyone else is trying to follow your stalwart attempt to educate me that post is here http://www.trade2win.com/boards/dis...-you-long-short-same-time-74.html#post2147658

Good man, you're getting there. One down, Three to go.

Glad I'm coming along :). I find it a bit difficult to think that I've done more than recognise different terminology for something I'm quite familiar with - risk = market exposure?

This is the first thing that you're not quite grasping - in your comparison between Trader A and Trader B, you're allowing one Trader to behave differently than the other. To compare Apples with Apples, we can't do that.

I thought that was the point and that because of their different approaches they would, or would be likely to, behave differently. Be interested to see what you are getting at here.

HM

A couple of points above in relation to your last post.

I do appreciate your patience and effort to fit me with new spectacles even though I think I can see quite well without them. Mind you, the way the golf ball disappears 150 yards out nowadays may tell the trained mind something :LOL:

Had to find a way of bringing golf into it somehow because I played the last 10 holes in only 3 over par yesterday and that's by far and away the best I've ever played after fifty plus years of trying. (Better not mention the first 8 holes though :LOL:)

cheers

jon

Had to find a way of bringing golf into it somehow because I played the last 10 holes in only 3 over par yesterday and that's by far and away the best I've ever played after fifty plus years of trying. (Better not mention the first 8 holes though :LOL:)

50 yrs worth of repetitions paid off.:LOL:

Let me try and summarise where I think Iam:

1. If Trader A is long/short he is as flat as Trader B who has closed his long, period, and he has incurred extra cost. If he closes the two legs coincidentally all he has done is to incur extra cost for no good purpose. Other than cost, the overall result for both traders is identical. There is absolutely no argument to that.

2. If Trader A staggers the closing of his 2 positions, he re-opens market exposure (risk) in respect of the residual unclosed leg. No argument there either

3. If Trader B follows Trader A's action by opening a new position identical to the residual position of Trader A then the overall result will be identical for both of them (including costs). have I got that right?

4. If Trader B chooses not follow Trader A's actions then the overall result, for good or ill, is entirely dependent on what happens to Trader A's residual position. He might: lose (in which case, he is loss + extra costs worse off than Trader B; exit flat (in which case, he is extra costs worse off than Trader B; or make some profit (in which case he is profit - extra costs better off than Trader B). Am I right there?

5. My contention is that by choosing to be long/short and thus forced to close those positions, Trader A has - potentially at least - put himself in a position where he can do better when Trader B chooses not to take on further market exposure. the kernel of the argument?

6. If it's thought a ludicrous contention that with Traders A & B encompassed in the same body they would make different decisions I would merely pose the question: When you close a long trade because of your reading of the immediate price action are you always as convinced as you would be if you were looking to open a short trade at that point?

I'm absolutely baffled by this thread. What is there to discuss?

You're long 5, you go short 5, you're flat. Endex bud mate, kinell, it's not rocket science, as t2w'S greatest ever member would say. Those that can't see it need to get their nut in the game. If I didn't know better I'd say that the people who can't see this are rampton subterranean multi-nic fooktards; certainly not the kind of people who can break a power-lifting record in the first gym I ever walked into, early '80s, with no fuss, just a handshake and shower, and then go and put out fires in the rough parts of Liverpool, just flying under the radar.

But then you've got people talking about different months etc, and different time frames. What's that got to do with it? Different months are er, different. And time frames don't exist, except in your mind. You buy five based on a daily chart, and you sell 5 based on a 5 minute chart, and you buy 5 based on the ladder, and you sell 5 because the dog farted, you're flat.

As The World Champion and Oxford don, Mr M Sloopyplopbagh, would say, "What the f*** is going on here?"

I'm absolutely baffled by this thread. What is there to discuss?

You're long 5, you go short 5, you're flat. Endex bud mate, kinell, it's not rocket science, as t2w'S greatest ever member would say. Those that can't see it need to get their nut in the game. If I didn't know better I'd say that the people who can't see this are rampton subterranean multi-nic fooktards; certainly not the kind of people who can break a power-lifting record in the first gym I ever walked into, early '80s, with no fuss, just a handshake and shower, and then go and put out fires in the rough parts of Liverpool, just flying under the radar.

But then you've got people talking about different months etc, and different time frames. What's that got to do with it? Different months are er, different. And time frames don't exist, except in your mind. You buy five based on a daily chart, and you sell 5 based on a 5 minute chart, and you buy 5 based on the ladder, and you sell 5 because the dog farted, you're flat.

As The World Champion and Oxford don, Mr M Sloopyplopbagh, would say, "What the f*** is going on here?"

It's a Paella thread, everyone off topic throwing a bit of something in.

It's a Paella thread, everyone off topic throwing a bit of something in.

I'm all in favour of that. But 77 pages later, and the central question isn't solved. How can this be? In the old days, you'd have needed Howard Cohodas with his head in the sand and his fingers in his ears, glued to his treadmilldesk and fingering his concealed weapon to get 77 pages. Now, when things are quieter, this thing is heading for a century?

I mean, what's to say about it? It's maffs, innit?

After baronjons seat ain't he...:LOL: Intel suggest Swanny's been sniffing about too, now these two alone could get tw2 right back on track:clap:(y)

Excellent news!

popcorn_yes.gif

I'm all in favour of that. But 77 pages later, and the central question isn't solved. How can this be? In the old days, you'd have needed Howard Cohodas with his head in the sand and his fingers in his ears, glued to his treadmilldesk and fingering his concealed weapon to get 77 pages. Now, when things are quieter, this thing is heading for a century?

I mean, what's to say about it? It's maffs, innit?

Teh central question isn't solved only because some people around here like having arguments based on contradicting other posts. Or don't they?