Brexit and the Consequences

If I were the EU - I would not grant an extension to UK unless presented with something substantial resembling a plan.

Three options:

1. Accept current withdrawal agreement to progess to next stage (third time lucky? I hope not as £39bn cost for two years is ludicrous)
2. New elections (unlikely as Tories will lose to Labour)
3. Another referendum (voted out)

Daaa daaaaaa - Postpone/Cancel Article 50 - Best option coming to you very soon! (y)

Teresa May will get her lousy deal through next week because the spineless MPs would rather agree to that than have a long extension of Article 50. Even if she fails, she'll just keep nibbling away at the ERG and the DUP and bringing her deal back again and again until they eventually cave in. So, it looks like it's game over to me, time me thinks to iron the white handkerchiefs and practice waving them submissively.
Teresa May: 1 / UK: 0.

The very best that brexiteers can hope for is that - for a third time - her deal fails to get the backing of Parliament and that Nigel Farage is successful in lobbying Eurosceptic leaders and one of them exercises their veto to the EU granting us an extension. That's the only way that I can see we'll leave on the 29th. But the odds against that happening are longer than a very long long thing. Likely as not, this time next week this thread will be history.
:cry:
Tim.

Shall we have a vote to decide if we are to extend the thread :ROFLMAO:

Dear SC,

Nothing would give me more joy than to hear Eurosceptics and Brexiteers pack up their bags and leave the Tory party. I may even get to vote for them one day again.

However, I think that is unlikely. Consequence of Brexit will be carried around like long-wearing luggage for sometime to come.

I think you do have an OCD element about you though that's for sure.

Brexit has become a drug to the UK, self indulgent intoxication with thyself. Withdrawal symptoms will be tough to deal with.

People have forgotten what life was like before Brexit. Be nice to visit the good old days again. :love: :love: :love:

If I were the EU - I would not grant an extension to UK unless presented with something substantial resembling a plan.

Three options:

1. Accept current withdrawal agreement to progess to next stage (third time lucky? I hope not as £39bn cost for two years is ludicrous)
2. New elections (unlikely as Tories will lose to Labour)
3. Another referendum (voted out)

Daaa daaaaaa - Postpone/Cancel Article 50 - Best option coming to you very soon! (y)

1. Unless a withdrawal deal is agreed before the end of the month, we leave with no deal.
2. There isn't a snowball in hells chance that Labour will form the next Govt as long as Corbyn and McDonnell are at the helm.
3. Another referendum on what! May's deal or no deal as we have already voted to leave. So remaining is not an option.

Too early to surrender - this is just Brexit's Dunkirk moment. The current now-disenfranchised voters will not forget when the (election) day of reckoning comes.

The will be no surrender. Escalation a more realistic course.

1552649367932.png

Dear SC,

Nothing would give me more joy than to hear Eurosceptics and Brexiteers pack up their bags and leave the Tory party. I may even get to vote for them one day again.

However, I think that is unlikely. Consequence of Brexit will be carried around like long-wearing luggage for sometime to come.

I think you do have an OCD element about you though that's for sure.

Brexit has become a drug to the UK, self indulgent intoxication with thyself. Withdrawal symptoms will be tough to deal with.

People have forgotten what life was like before Brexit. Be nice to visit the good old days again. :love::love::love:

I agree I vote to keep the thread running, after all what would I do with 4 hours of each day without it, it's like an intravenous thread drip :love:(y)o_O

I agree I vote to keep the thread running, after all what would I do with 4 hours of each day without it, it's like an intravenous thread drip :love:(y)o_O

There's probably not much danger of it ending even if the vote goes the wrong way by a few percent - I'm sure the Continuers would be able to keep stringing it along for years through a series of debates and votes designed to frustrate the Enders until finally it would be euthanised by the EU Sharky..... or maybe just continue just as things were before the first vote to End it.

There's probably not much danger of it ending even if the vote goes the wrong way by a few percent - I'm sure the Continuers would be able to keep stringing it along for years through a series of debates and votes designed to frustrate the Enders until finally it would be euthanised by the EU Sharky..... or maybe just continue just as things were before the first vote to End it.

Wow that's a loaded statement dude. Mamamia!

Which direction, constitutes the wrong way? Clarification required :eek::LOL::eek: :love:

Uncertainty costs time and money. Everybody loses.

Colossal waste of two years plus reputational damage.

Hope lessons learned worth it? (y)

the MP's will learn lessons from it ?.......jees thats a stretch.....

we are out in canaries at moment and visiting a lot of friends who live out here .........one of the old guys that lives here actually voted to exit the EU because he still hates germans .....and he loves to be contentious

some of us explained to him that unless he takes spanish residence we brits will soon come under the Schengen agreement where non europeans can only spend 6 months a year in europe (max 90 days in any 180 day cycle) and he would not be able to live out there anymore......

he was furious and said no one told him that

laughed i nearly cried ..........

god bless the old-uns in this country

If you are interested in the sovereignty aspects of Brexit (as opposed to the economics) you may find this explanation by Prof. Vernon Bognador (leading UK constitutional expert) of interest. The first part of his talk covers how parliamentary sovereignty (as opposed to national sovereignty) has transferred to the control of the courts/judiciary during EU membership; and how Brexit (if enacted truly) will reverse it to the former arrangements. Put simply - how Brexit could take back control.

It's quite a long piece - so you'll need a quiet cup of tea or only a very mild sharpener if you're to maintain concentration. He does however explain it all very succintly. If on the other hand it's of no interest to you but you are having difficulty in getting to sleep at night, this could be a lot more effective than a bottle of pills!

we are out in canaries at moment and visiting a lot of friends who live out here .........one of the old guys that lives here actually voted to exit the EU because he still hates germans .....and he loves to be contentious

some of us explained to him that unless he takes spanish residence we brits will soon come under the Schengen agreement where non europeans can only spend 6 months a year in europe (max 90 days in any 180 day cycle) and he would not be able to live out there anymore......

he was furious and said no one told him that

laughed i nearly cried ..........

god bless the old-uns in this country

Is this another remainer misconception or just cracking a joke with friends?

It's not quite as you explain Schengen:

https://www.etiasvisa.com/schengen-visa

Reflecting on the referendum and the assault on democracy touted by all the non-experts, increasingly it is not so much the will of the British people that is the sticking point but more the reasons why the referendum was called, the way it was organised and conducted and the consequences on many businesses and lives in the UK resulting from a very narrow difference.

I sincerely hope that once Article 50 is cancelled, the new dedicated Brexit Party formed by Nigel Farage can forge the way towards Brexit in future elections. He will need time to setup and prepare his party so this really would help all sides in the debate. Let the stewing pot settle a little. People get a grip on events and then onwards and forwards we can all roll.

It will ultimately be the best way to wrap up the last couple of years.

I don't feel the Tories or Labour are electable anyhow. LibDems also, have some more soul searching to perform as Vince Cable announced he is stepping down. By then I also hope each of these parties will have new elected leaders too. Get rid of dead wood. :)

The future is certainly very exciting. Should help sell some more papers.