Brexit and the Consequences

cantagril

2,127 472
Hmmm ... yes, that's probably the weakest point of the cunning plan. But it is good to wind up the Remainers – there is so little entertainment left in Brexit these days!
Oh, I dunno.... I see Monty Python and Tommy Cooper - slapstick and pratfalls abound and if it wasn't reality the whole sorry saga would be great satire. Brecht would be rubbing his hands. A song about one of his best-loved characters -

Did our boy do something rash?

Signalcalc

3,025 633
Nice to see someone (Bill Cash MP) writing to the Tusk with a legal threat that the intention of parliament, as expressed through the laws it makes, cannot be frustrated by the government and will be challenged through the UK courts if the EU was to implement a long extension, he was pointing out that motions passed by MPs have no standing in law, parliament has to pass laws to make their intentions clear.

At least someone other than Gina Miller has a handle on how parliament conducts itself and is prepared to make legal challenges and is a Brexiteer (y)

I foresee many long legal challenges ahead.

timsk

Legendary member
6,938 1,812
. . . So, is it time to wrap up this thread or, at the very least, put it on hold 'til mid October? In the meantime, the big question now for everyone on this thread must surely be: Brexit Party or UKIP? UKIP or Brexit Party? Such a shame they can't sort out their differences and unite as one.
Tim.

2,219 553
Nice to see someone (Bill Cash MP) writing to the Tusk with a legal threat that the intention of parliament, as expressed through the laws it makes, cannot be frustrated by the government and will be challenged through the UK courts if the EU was to implement a long extension, he was pointing out that motions passed by MPs have no standing in law, parliament has to pass laws to make their intentions clear.

At least someone other than Gina Miller has a handle on how parliament conducts itself and is prepared to make legal challenges and is a Brexiteer (y)

I foresee many long legal challenges ahead.
It'll be a long struggle but we'll get there in the end. I don't think the UK voters will roll over as easily as the continentals.

2,219 553
. . . So, is it time to wrap up this thread or, at the very least, put it on hold 'til mid October? In the meantime, the big question now for everyone on this thread must surely be: Brexit Party or UKIP? UKIP or Brexit Party? Such a shame they can't sort out their differences and unite as one.
Tim.
With Nigel back on the scene the fun is about to start. I suspect there will be behind the scenes cooperation between ERG/DUP/Brexit Party. UKIP is tainted and no match for Farage. May is putting the finishing touches towards trashing the Conservatives. Corbyn and Abbott have just had a "funny turn" over Assange which will remind the voters about their peculiar sympathies when all they have to really do is to sit tight! Field now wide open to anything other than Conservative/Labour. Suspect Liberals & Independent Group won't even get a look in.

This is the equivalent of a trade that looked good, went bad, but is now poised for recovery.

Last edited:

Signalcalc

3,025 633
With Nigel black on the scene the fun is about to start. I suspect there will be behind the scenes cooperation between ERG/DUP/Brexit Party. UKIP is tainted and no match for Farage. May is putting the finishing touches towards trashing the Conservatives. Corbyn and Abbott have just had a "funny turn" over Assange which will just remind the voters about their peculiar sympathies when all they have to really do is to sit tight! Field now wide open to anything other than Conservative/Labour. Suspect Liberals & Independent Group won't even get a look in.

This is the equivalent of a trade that looked good, went bad, but is now poised for recovery.
Following the developments in UKIP, it seems there are many unhappy members and voters that see Farage as [yet another] traitor to his party, even worse he slurred UKIP on the way out. So it will be interesting to see how the old UKIP vote is split between the new UKIP and Farage's Brexit party. As I understand it the Brexit party is a subscriber membership meaning no voting rights and no real say in its direction and will only be fielding MEP's. He will take alot of the old UKIP mainstream vote, but UKIP has been steadily building a largely non-mainstream following as a result of the various debacles of the the last 3 years, plenty of fodder for both parties.

I doubt there will be enough UKIP votes to get any real power in domestic elections, although there is a chance for one or two seats no doubt.

Agree Libdems and independents are nowhere on the scene, hard to call it a LibLabCon cabal anymore, it's more just LabCon nowadays.

Signalcalc

3,025 633
Tim.
Wrapping this thread up would be premature, the parliamentary idiots are only on leave for 2 weeks before they get back to not agreeing on anything.....and then there are local and EU elections, that will take us into June at least, with only 4 months after that before we reach a no-deal compromise :rolleyes:o_O:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: timsk

DT5

24 3
We all know what will happen before the EU elections. TM will try to get her deal agreed and she will fail again

Pat494

Legendary member
13,490 1,331
Too many self serving Prima Donnas and not enough pragmatism, common sense and patriotism imho.
TM isn't trying very hard hoping the whole question can be kicked into the long grass with a fudge to stay in.

Signalcalc

3,025 633
All the indications are that the Tories are haemorrhaging members and losing massive support as a result of Brexit, enter Labour or a new party altogether, the Tories and the EU have miscalculated the strength of feeling. Of course Labour have also miscalculated over Brexit, both parties are going to be scratching their heads at the next elections.

Reactions: timsk and 0007

2,219 553
All the indications are that the Tories are haemorrhaging members and losing massive support as a result of Brexit, enter Labour or a new party altogether, the Tories and the EU have miscalculated the strength of feeling. Of course Labour have also miscalculated over Brexit, both parties are going to be scratching their heads at the next elections.
And this will be one of the reasons why:
Nigel Farage launches Brexit Party, introduces first EP candidates, Coventry, 12th April 2019

Reactions: counter_violent