• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Dowser

I thought I'd start this thread in the Trading Journals section because it gives me moderation powers.

I was a regular lurker and occasional contributor to another thread with a very similar name. Unfortunately it's gone down the pan recently and regulars know why.

I hope the same people who contribute useful/interesting/witty commentary on the other thread will post here (should they be in the same mind as I, of course).

Needless to say, if you have form on the other thread, you will not be able to post here.

Last edited by a moderator:
DOW. Price around yesterday's median. I'll be watching the PA around 18875. Support here could send the price through the overnight highs. Weakness here and we could see the price head for yesterday's low.

DOW. How strong is the selling gonna be from 18900? Will 18875 act as support?

Wohoo! fab idea. Im guessin endscuff wont be trotting through here anytime soon :cheesy:

Cheers DT. Yep, this is the 'Eff you and the horse you rode in on' thread

18825 in play, which way's she goin? M5 closes still under 5EMA suggest down.

18825 in play, which way's she goin? M5 closes still under 5EMA suggest down.

5EMA is the only indicator I look at these days having decided all the others are of little or no value. I think I'd do well to get rid of this one too! But am just so used to looking at it now that the price looks like it's floating in the void without it - all psychological of course - they are my training wheels!

Well wasn't going to trade today whilst I got my head around this blogging lark but saw this set up and couldn't resist. Thought there might be a bounce from the low but did expect it to take me out. Hey ho

Attachments

• DOW15-11-16.png
    DOW15-11-16.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 293
selling from 18850 weak expect the price to break out from this level

What a day! had to check the numbers to make sure I wasn't watching the footsie! Can anybody, who has a broader knowledge of the markets (news, correlations etc.) tell me why volatility is so low today?

. . . Can anybody, who has a broader knowledge of the markets (news, correlations etc.) tell me why volatility is so low today?
Hi cbrads,

Market_Overview_15.11.2016.png

I can't - and don't - claim to have a broad knowledge of the markets, but today doesn't strike me as being particularly unusual. Where there's broad equilibrium between buyers and sellers, then there's nowhere for the market to go. Today is one of those days that hasn't been particularly volatile, but that's a against a backdrop of spectacular volatility following the U.S. elections. The chart above covers the major indices and there was plenty of opportunity on the Dax today and over 100 points for you on the Dow.

The indices are displaying a hinge pattern. If you've not read it, this thread on the topic by dbphoenix may be of interest: The Springboard .
Tim.

Last edited:
Tim, you're quite right. I was just suffering a little tunnel vision watching the price grind along in that tight range (and licking my wounds from the losing trade). Never heard of the hinge pattern before, will take a look thanks(y)

I'm looking at yesterday's median price 18866 as a potential area of support for a push back up to 18900. I think PA at this level will be important. If the price can push through 18900 and stay there I think it will breakout past yesterday's high. Otherwise we could be testing the lows again.

. . . Otherwise we could be testing the lows again.
I don't really look at the Dow much these days - especially pre-market. However, FFIW, this is how it looks to me on a 10 point reversal Kagi chart.

Dow Tick 10 point reversal.png

I'd be short (currently short on the Dax) until there was a clear break of the trendline.
Tim.
PS. Your trade from yesterday was at the end of the down move during what turned out to be sideways chop. That's always a bu88er!
;)

Hmmm weaker than i thought. Some buying coming in now from a lower level, how far can they push it? Res at 18875?

Hi Tim, I rarely trade pre-market either. Yes, there's a clear down trend that your non-time-based charts highlight nicely, my problem is that too often I'm trying to pin point the reversal. I think I'd do well to try a longer T/F with-trend strategy.

Thanks for the input

Chris