Anyone scalping/day trading the bund?

motion100

hi all,

this is a new thread to discuss trades on one of the most liquid futures markets in the world.

whatever your strategy, whether you're new or experienced, discussion is most welcome.

i'll kick it off...

im short from this morning average 136.90. stocks look heavy but then they looked heavy yesterday and the bund sold off aggressively. is it time the market started seeing german risk as real risk?! stocks off, bund off. the new norm?

perhaps not. stop just above today's high at 137.30. target 1 136.65 target 2 136.16

Hi M,

levels to watch on Bund today

138.51 - T2 if on momentum 137.7 breaks
138.07 - T1 if 137.7 breaks
137.7 - previous high
137.52 avergage rally
136.68 previous days low
136.32 average decline
136.00 decline on momentum follow through

VAH FROM YESTERDAY 137.59... VAL ...137.15

I notice bund has traded all morniing in lower range of its value area from yesterday.. and heading down.. watch for test of yesterdays low.. past this is 136.32

If Bund goes back to highs this morning it is heading up to 137.52 at least

DJ, i was hoping you would come across!

i agree with what you're saying albeit with an ignorance to exactly how you get the levels. I tried taylor's book a while back but just found it too heavy.

I mainly use pivots/price action at pivots and general market sentiment/cross market correlation.

do you have any positions on at the moment?

DJ, i was hoping you would come across!

i agree with what you're saying albeit with an ignorance to exactly how you get the levels. I tried taylor's book a while back but just found it too heavy.

I mainly use pivots/price action at pivots and general market sentiment/cross market correlation.

do you have any positions on at the moment?

no I dont .. I am focusing on FTSE this week. I tend to do the Bund when I have no clue what the FTSE wants to do... as you say , Bund very liquid and behave very well around pivot points / key prices.. But I always use a stop even when scalping Bund for a few prices because every now and then it has a tendency to pop up or down 20-30 prices .. which can hurt. I tend to use bigger size in the Bund and go for small high prob moves... 7am open is also good to trade if it opens close to a level

yeh that would have been the better trade. i'm out at b/e

the GDP news should have propelled it easily through that level and it didnt.. we had the same on the FTSE... shot down .. but unconvincingly ..got everyone short and then pushed back up

I started trading it about 5 weeks ago when I was forced away from home to a place with poorer internet connection.

I quite like it now.

Do you guys watch it alone or alongside the Bobl/Schatz? I dont bother watching Schatz but I do watch Bund & Bobl together...

I started trading it about 5 weeks ago when I was forced away from home to a place with poorer internet connection.

I quite like it now.

Do you guys watch it alone or alongside the Bobl/Schatz? I dont bother watching Schatz but I do watch Bund & Bobl together...

no I dont watch either.. in what way does it help?

no I dont watch either.. in what way does it help?

In theory, you should be watching the Bund, Bobl & Schatz which are all interest rate products and are used by spread traders.

As such, you will often see that a 'play' being made in one market that allows you to take a position in another market.

This is similar to watching the 30,10,5 yr notes in the US.

In practice, the Schatz moves so little, I've taken it off altogether.

In theory, you should be watching the Bund, Bobl & Schatz which are all interest rate products and are used by spread traders.

As such, you will often see that a 'play' being made in one market that allows you to take a position in another market.

This is similar to watching the 30,10,5 yr notes in the US.

In practice, the Schatz moves so little, I've taken it off altogether.

Is there a sufficent enough lag between them that it gives you time to react?

It's not so much that there is a lag, more that people are trading spreads across the markets and that activity can tip you off.

Hi all,

Happy to see a thread about the bund.

I'm quite new to trading, i have been watching the bund and bubl for some months now, and am now trading live since a few weeks. Agree that the bobl is very important to watch, i only take trade in the bund when the bobl is telling me the same story i see in the bund. It doesn't lag but it gives me confirmation.

I am interested in the way you guys see and trade this market. My way is watching the orderflow, and look closely to volume to spot price of interest and act on these. I think i have become pretty good at spotting those prices but i have a very hard time to pull the trigger. The goal is to scalp for a few ticks, but it is not easy especially in the bund who moves very fast at times and require extrem focus.
Now i would like to look at the bigger picture, and hold trade for longer than a few seconds...

"motion100":
First of all i was wondering how you can handle such a stop loss, i may sound naive but i am used to look at the market in a scalping perspective and when i see that i am wrong, at worst most of the time i take a 5 ticks loss. Now i can understand you probably have to let your trade some space, hopefully i'll be able to do the same. Because yes i take 5 ticks loss but i don't take 30 ticks winner either.

Thanks, hope we can get some people to be active on this thread.

hey man,

it depends on your time frame/targets. if you're targeting a 5tick profit then having a 20tick stop doesnt make sense but if you're aiming for 70ticks then it probably does.

my hard stops tend to be pretty far away as 95% of the time i kill the trade ahead of that stop based on price action.

i not really doing true scalping more day trading