Any other swing traders?

I am keen to learn about swing charts. can you recommend a book or a course? my software now has swing charts in it but i don't understand them

Hi Gruntnoway

I'd recommend Marc Rivalland's book on swing trading.

It covers a method (best suited to indices) very clearly and with backtested examples.

It will not cover the mental side or money management but you should be able to get this elsewhere.

The plus side of the method is that you don't need to be sat at the screen all day, the downside is that dry periods can occupy weeks if not months on end which can be mentally challenging.

It does work though.

hope this helps

Hi Minted,

Does Rivalland go into any detail about how “Swing” charts are constructed in his book? I’m thinking in terms of Gann Swing Charts, which are sometimes referred to as Manhattan style charts? There are some examples of these charts here:

http://www.gannalyst.com/Basics/Gannalyst_Articles_Swing_Charts_nf.asp

http://www.gannalyst.com/Gannalyst_Professional/Gannalyst_Gannalyst_Pro_Chart_Overlays_nf.asp

I’ve read the flier for the book, but it’s not really clear if he covers these points in any depth?

Thanks for your help with this. :)

Mayfly

Hi mayfly

the book covers swing charts in a few pages early on, but in fact it is not necessary to draw the charts to use the method. My software does not offer swing charts, the position can be seen quite easily from a quick review of the daily barcharts.

hope this helps.

Hi Minted,

I was specifically interested in the construction of the swing charts and so it’s useful to know that he doesn’t cover this style of charting. I’ll try and borrow a copy of the book at some stage – it sounds like it should be an interesting read.

Thanks again. :)

Mayfly

Hi mayfly

I may have mislead you slightly.

He does explain the swing chart himself but then goes on to say that you do not (and in fact he does not) actually require them to be constructed to follow the method. Sounds odd I know, but the book's worth a read.

Good Luck
:)

I've only just found this (very interesting) thread. I'm a relatively new trader and am looking at small-scale SB indices spread betting as a possible start/learning point. I'm going to see if I can find a copy of Marc Rivalland's book, as it seems to get a general thumbs up.

I'm interested in the thumbnail nomish posted on the previous page (post #71). Could he, or any other kindly soul, explain how the various graphs, top to bottom, are derived? Also what software would allow this sort of tracking, or is it homemade?

Cheers,

Calvin.

Calvin said:
I'm interested in the thumbnail nomish posted on the previous page (post #71). Could he, or any other kindly soul, explain how the various graphs, top to bottom, are derived? Also what software would allow this sort of tracking, or is it homemade?

Cheers,

Calvin.

The indicators are MACD, Stochastics and Volume.

Many people on these boards will tell you that Volume is the most important, if not the omly one you need. You can get these and many other indicators on free charts at places like http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/default.asp?siteid=&avatar=seen&dist=ctbc

There's a good explanation of the various indicators at http://www.stockcharts.com/education/ . You might want to start with MACD at http://www.stockcharts.com/education/IndicatorAnalysis/indic_MACD1.html

Good luck

Thanks for those links MGBRoadster.

I believe that volume is one of the most important things to look at as well.

That's great, very useful - thanks MGB (sorry for the delay in replying - I've been licking my wounds for the last few days...!)

Calvin

Hi

Was just looking through this board because I am interested in swing trading and have recently made a start. I use Marc Rivalland's method almost exclusively. The main reason that I post is that I attended a seminar recently (which was excellent) but MR said that he wished that he had not put in his book that there was no need to actually draw a swing line and that might change if he does a second edition. The reason was that although this is strictly true he has found that for people starting off less errors are made if you actually draw the line swing on the bar chart as well. Just thought that might be of interest.

Mark

minted said:
Hi mayfly

I may have mislead you slightly.

He does explain the swing chart himself but then goes on to say that you do not (and in fact he does not) actually require them to be constructed to follow the method. Sounds odd I know, but the book's worth a read.

Good Luck
:)

Hi Mark, Minted.

Many thanks for your replies. I had a specific reason for asking Minted about the rules for constructing these types of chart and being fairly lazy, I was hoping that Mr Rivalland explained them in his book. There doesn’t appear to be a lot of free stuff about on the web and so I had to go back and find some source material for myself.

I agree with Marc Rivalland’s point about be able to draw the chart by hand to understand it, it’s exactly the same with P&F really. :)

Thanks again.

Cheers

Mayfly

FTSE 100 trend as of 29 August

I'n new to Technical Analysis and keen to start swing trading the FTSE 100. I thought I'd use this board to outline my analysis and would welcome any feedback from those who are also taking a view on the FTSE for the purposes of short term trading (rather than intra-day trading). all comments welcome!

FTSE100 on upward trend.

Arguments for:
A double bottom that begin at the beginning of July has completed and a breakout occurred with a breach off 4430. A trend line up can be drawn from 16 Aug The 200 DMA has also been breached

Arguments against:
Volume associated with breakout appears low

Attachments

• FTSE100 290804.gif
    FTSE100 290804.gif
    26.7 KB · Views: 402