Advice from you all would be great

ryangillespie

Hi everyone,

I have allways been very interested in the financial markets.

When I left school it came down to the Army or uni, I chose the army and followed in the family tradition. I served 6 years and have left at the age of 24.
As I do not have a degree I know it will be extreamly hard to break through to the front office .

I have been employed by Rathbones in the channel islands initialy as a trainee in the trust department but after 5 months I have been promoted to bookkeeper. I am studying ACCA and hope that when I am a qualified accountant this will make up for the fact that I have not been to uni.

I hope to move into product control and from the to an assistant or trainee position.

Do you think this is the best route? I know im way off in the Trust department and may move to funds.

Any ideas or advice would be great

Thank you all in advance

Cheers:D:D:D

Ryan,
i did my 6.
if i'd stayed in i would already have just completed my 22.
in life one should never have any regrets, but if i could roll back time, knowing what i know now, i would never have left the Army.
i would have used the fantastic situation of living virtually rent- and food-free, to put a down-payment every 12 or 18 months or so on a buy-to-let apartment.
With the advent of the internet now, I'd also trade part-time.
Then when my 22 years finished, all the mortgages paid off on 10+ apartments, I'd retire somewhere hot and cheap (Thailand ?) and never work again.
So my advice to a young man ?
Re-enlist !

I wish I could mate, I have a baby on the way. Its not a family life as im sure you know.

I had the best years so far in the army. Now that I have left I am determined to get were I want to be in finance. Do you trade full time or do you have a job in finance.

You have a big plus!

I wish I could mate, I have a baby on the way. Its not a family life as im sure you know.

I had the best years so far in the army. Now that I have left I am determined to get were I want to be in finance. Do you trade full time or do you have a job in finance.

Ryan,

I hope rathcoole will agree with these thoughts: having done mil service you are so much better placed to cope with life (have you been out long enough to realise this yet?)

You will most likely be: independent, confident, able to make a reasoned judgement and act upon it, know your limits, not afraid of new learning, prepared to accept and adapt to change, admit when you are wrong, able keep a cool head under pressure. If you have all these qualities then you should be well placed to learn trading - or any job for that matter. I learnt many things at Uni but the foregoing weren't on my curriculum - perhaps it works for others but I haven't seen much evidence. rathcoole is right about the bonuses of service life but no one should forget that this sometimes comes at a very heavy price (which some of my friends have paid).

I hope you succeed in your financial firm but never let the thought that you haven't got an academic degree deter you. Many degrees today aren't worth the certificate they're written on - so many degrees in "underwater basket weaving".

If I were a young man in your position I would first find out if I am any good at trading and then (ability permitting) amass as much capital as poss with a view to trading for a living - why do it for someone else (but lots do!)

Good luck.

Ryan,

I'm only guessing but I reckon 6 years in the forces looks good - even if irrelevant to markets - on any cv, and will impress potential employers.

Assuming you're still 24, I would consider going to Uni. You'll graduate at 27 but with your background and a good degree, this wouldn't be a hindrance.

Good luck,

Grant.

Two people in the British rich list are traders... and they both have a military background. Something about discipline, mefinks.

Ryan,
Assuming you're still 24, I would consider going to Uni. You'll graduate at 27 but with your background and a good degree, this wouldn't be a hindrance.

Good luck,

Grant.

Cheers Grant, yes im still 24/ just. As i said earlyer Im having a baby in august so I need to keep working to bring the money in. I live in the channel islands so a part time course is out of the window. I think my only options are the open uni or ACCA.

Do you work in finace? Would being a certified accountant be a push in the right direction. Ive heard of people with masters getting rejected from various banks.

One I have passed ACCA i will also have a degree from oxford brooks,

Hopefully this will be enough to get my toe in the door

Ryan,

Stick with Rathbones and study for the accountancy exams. If nothing develops at Rathbones on qualification consider a role with a stockbroker, possibly as an analyst. Or, following qualification, do a Masters in Finance - a uni should accept your accountancy exams in lieu of a first degree. Also, some of the larger brokers have departments dealing with off-shore/tax mitigation/investment advice.

Grant.