Advice on computers

WR1

206 9
i'm surprised no ones mentioned an HD video projector yet :)

Last edited:
L

Liquid validity

0 0
i'm surprised no ones mentioned an HD video projector yet :)
You do realise that by AV I don't mean domestic TV or hifi music don't you?

I mean this type of stuff:
http://www.avid.com/US/categories/Professional-Video-Editing-Finishing
http://www.avid.com/US/products/family/pro-tools
https://www.apple.com/uk/logic-pro/

The vast majority of what you watch on TV, or listen to on your ipod
has been mixed or edited using that type of software.
That stuff does stretch a CPU, so much so that they use external DSP racks
to handle the load.

Trading software by comparison is a joke in terms of CPU load.

WR1

206 9
I don't mind if you disagree, I'm only interested in the facts of the matter. As LV has pointed out, if you want an 'edge' in scalping then get an uncontested low latency line or co-locate an automated system. Any ticks appearing to skip are not because your trading software was waiting for cpu frequency unless you're watching high resolution webcams of a certain type at the same time...

Your trading software cannot use what you are giving it unless you're using a bespoke system.
the kit is out there for us to buy, and as long as one does n't go completely over board and is happy with the price and performance, there is no problem
and i do use a bit more than the average trader
i'm not saying buy a £3000 chip - but 1000-1500 on a PC is money well spent

we will have to agree to disagree on this one

Last edited:

A Dashing Blade

Experienced member
1,373 170
Yes ADB, I currently use a 60-inch LCD with 1080p resolution.

PS: Is your forum name a cricket reference?
Would have thought you'd need to be sitting a good few meters away from it to pervent it looking "blocky"?

Nick adapted from 70's kids TV program "The Flashing Blade" adapted for these more PC times

A Dashing Blade

Experienced member
1,373 170
Getting back to the OP . . . just finished the specs for a PC I'll be building for my old man, interweb browsing, on-line poker and light MS Office stuff. Advantage of a DIY build (for me anyway) is that I know that, given the budget and requirements, it's exactly what is required. For sure you could buy one pre-built with the same specs a fair bit cheaper, but NOT with those exact parts (ie you'd be getting a cheap no-name power supply, a crappier case etc).

Point is, slap any £150+ graphics card in there to get the 3 monitor solution you want and, unless you're doing HFT, I reckon it'll serve fine as a trading/multi media PC.

As an FYI, this build + one of these gfx cards is my current trading/gaming (everything turned up to 11) rig outputting to the twin Dell2711 monitors (so giving me 2 x 2560 x 1440 pixels) I mentioned earlier

Last edited: