ADVFN UK - be aware!

Couldn't agree more - It's the "dumping" bit which is difficult - as anyone who has experienced it will agree. Complete underhandedness from a "respected" company - Yeah right !

Prices can be found elsewhere - feed is usually better - and there are plenty of other forums out there that are better.

W

Totally agree.

Wrote to cancel in June, still taking my money. :mad:

Another letter this time recorded del and asking for refund - don't hold out much hope of that.

Have also spoken to credit card co to get them to help. They were very helpful.

I've had enough of being ripped off by companies and I'll never use ADVFN again!

:clap:

Old thread resurrected.

Sent my letter and 3 days later got my email confirming cancellation - may be things have changed or may be I told a porkie in the letter, saying I was emigrating and all cards would soon not be operational.

Glad I found this info. Been looking at various data suppliers including ADVFN. Recon I need to look a little longer.

well having gone through the painful process of telephoning, emailing and writting in (all within the required time-scale to cancel) guess what...my credit card has been debited....will I get a refund, have to wait and see I guess....

well having gone through the painful process of telephoning, emailing and writting in (all within the required time-scale to cancel) guess what...my credit card has been debited....will I get a refund, have to wait and see I guess....

I have had no extent of trouble with trying to cancel with ADVFN.

I initially upgraded to a Silver subscription in early August only for the service to cease to work for me (it wouldn't work in Internet Explorer 9, Firefox 6 or Google Chrome). I tried for a few weeks to get this working again (including emails to their support desk) but to no avail.

I then tried to cancel with them, which is still an ongoing exercise in seemingless futility. I initially sent the required letter to cancel in late August. There was no reply to this and I was once again charged the monthly subscription. I followed up in mid-September by email to find out what was going on and was told that my letter had not been received and that my emails (including scans of said letter posted) would be ignored in regards to cancellaton.

I dutifully sent a second letter in mid-September (with a copy of the first letter) to again confirm cancellation and complaint that the service had not worked since mid-August. Once again I heard nothing back but again was subsequently billed the next two months.

At this point, I emailed once again to find out what was going on. Again, I was told that my letter had not been received. I dutifully sent them a third letter (including copies of the first two letters) and a further email with copies of these letters too. Funnily enough, this third letter has not been received either. Having worked for Royal Mail, I know the chances of three letters to the same address going missing is next to non-existent.

Currently, I have been in contact with my credit card provider to reverse these charges. As a precautionery measure, I have also had to cancel my existing credit card in order to ensure that these unlawful payments cease. Despite the numerous letters and emails to ADVFN, I have heard nothing about my complaints.

Frankly, ADVFN has been an odious company to deal with and has disgusting levels of customer service. I can only advise to stay well clear of them and their outdated and clearly duplicitous practices.

So in effect, I'm the only one who sent in a letter, which they they acknowledged via email and confirmed my subscription would cease within 4 days of sending it.
Trouble is, overall they are probably the best in terms of live prices and news.

I will now, in defence of ADVFN, confirm that after many emails, calls and general ranting I got a refund.....plus my Credit Card Co HSBC were excellent and got the money back for me, even before ADVFN agreed the refund....

Anyone who wants to cancel please send your letter recorded delivery to avoid a sticky situation!

Best idea is stay well away from these crooks. That Clem Chambers has done this scam for years, I remember this going on in 2001, people had to cancel their credit cards to stop the Direct Debits. To some of us that's impossible, but most customers end up paying for at least one month more than they wanted to, and you add that up and you will see why Chambers is a lard @rse with no morals.

Best idea is stay well away from these crooks. That Clem Chambers has done this scam for years, I remember this going on in 2001, people had to cancel their credit cards to stop the Direct Debits. To some of us that's impossible, but most customers end up paying for at least one month more than they wanted to, and you add that up and you will see why Chambers is a lard @rse with no morals.

Have to say, I had absolutely no trouble with them...I did send mine recorded in fairness and would of course advise you do likewise to avoid any such hassle

There is no doubt ADVFN are slimey when it comes to cancellations via snail mail.
Saying that, when comparing services for like for like with Moneyam, Digitallook and III.co.uk - they do tend have better tools for those trading. i.e bid-offer spread charts, better top lists, combined LSE +PLUS trades, faster streaming news comparable to Reuters or Bloomberg (though the formatting is crap and their Dow Jones feed is full of generic US news crap also), better watchlist, etc

As a new and very novice investor, I was about to ask about alternatives to ADVFN.
From trillionaire's comment I guess they are the best ?
Appreciate if anybody to suggest competent alternatives.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

still in there t and c's to WRITE IN 30 days notice, how sneaky!!!!

Downgrade/cancel your subscription

14. TERMINATION : This agreement will continue unless terminated in accordance with the following provisions. You may terminate your monthly agreement by giving ADVFN not less than 30 days written notice from your next monthly renewal date. You may terminate your annual agreement by giving ADVFN not less than 30 days written notice before your next annual renewal date (see address below for contact details) and ADVFN may do the same.

I had a bad experience with ADVFN. I tried to get a trial subscription and despite the screen showing me the next billing date would be a month later, I was billed straight away.

I sent them several emails asking for immediate cancellation of this account being within the seven day cancellation period. Since it was during the weekend, I called them on the Monday and the person there said he could either cancel it or convert it to a trail subscription- I chose the trial subscription.

To my indignation and annoyance, when it was due to run out, I called up ADVFN and they told me it was a paid subscription NOT TRIAL. They denied speaking to me though I have the name of the person and the time of the call.

THIS IS CHEATING AND FRAUD.

I have never ever before had such an awful experience with any other seller before - VERY UNPROFESSIONAL. I will never deal with them.

ADVFN uses the trial subscription as an opportunity to cheat its customers.

Other similar sites such as MoneyAM and DigitalLook are far more professional.

As a new and very novice investor, I was about to ask about alternatives to ADVFN.
From trillionaire's comment I guess they are the best ?
Appreciate if anybody to suggest competent alternatives.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1)Morning Star
2) Digital Look
3)Money AM
4)INteractive Investor

SOme of these specially Morning STar offers far better features than ADVFN in my opinion. Hope this helps

Hi everyone,

I'm quite annoyed with ADVFN. I went for the 30 day free trial, which I forgot to cancel. Anyway, I decided that I was going to stay with them longer, but I wanted to know how to unsubscribe because I couldn't find the information throughout the website. I sent an e-mail asking how to cancel my subscriptionand this is the reply I received:

Thank you for contacting ADVFN Support

To cancel your ADVFN account you need to send your written consent via the postal system. ADVFN do require 30 days notice on all cancellations or downgrades. Please include your Username as part of this letter and address it as follows.

ADVFN PLC
Subs Dept
26 Throgmorton St
London
EC2N 2AN

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Regards

Support Team
ADVFN Plc

I think this is ridiculous. Now I definitely decided to unsubscribe. I think this kind of business policy is awful. They've just lost a possible yearly subscription because they are greedy to get a free month when you decide to leave.

Good luck with your trading,

A quite angry Silvia.

A quite angry Silvia please calm down :cool:
Yes, I find that’s usually the case with these ‘free month’ subscriptions!

I had the same with Spotify…

Depending on what you were subscribing to, there a lots of trading companies who provide most of the research/data that are provided by ADVFN for free, and most do not charge.

I assume this is because they think you’ll trade with them, which you may or may not decide to do! Ah well, you know what they say about gift horses.