£33k loss after 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joseph P. Kennedy (1888-1969) knew that it was time to get out of the market in 1929 when his shoeshine boy began giving him stock tips.

Reality had gone completely out the window in 1999 and early 2000, stocks only went up and they went up a lot, many of them 1000% in one year.

Happy days :drunk:

I remember. I was trading back then and when the bubble burst. I also traded through the crash of 1987. Sure, I made some mistakes and took some lumps during those times but never did I just throw caution to the wind or believe the markets will always go up.

Neither did I quit my job, sell the house, and put my life fortunes into a career I knew nothing about.

Oh well....people like that keep the rest of us in profits :clap:

Peter

Reality had gone completely out the window in 1999 and early 2000, stocks only went up and they went up a lot, many of them 1000% in one year.

Happy days :drunk:

Yep.
my dads best mate made a few million pounds from an account of about £60k.
I also believe that he lost nearly every penny when the market bubble eventually burst!
crazy days

I remember. I was trading back then and when the bubble burst. I also traded through the crash of 1987. Sure, I made some mistakes and took some lumps during those times but never did I just throw caution to the wind or believe the markets will always go up.

Neither did I quit my job, sell the house, and put my life fortunes into a career I knew nothing about.

Oh well....people like that keep the rest of us in profits :clap:

Peter

whaddaya want, a cookie?

Yep.
my dads best mate made a few million pounds from an account of about £60k.
I also believe that he lost nearly every penny when the market bubble eventually burst!
crazy days

Ouch. They were crazy days. I had a dabble. Got very lucky on some stocks. Realised I had no ****ing clue what I was doing and bailed. Then the bubble burst. :clap:

As they say, timing is everything.

Sorry it broke up your family. Not the first and won't be the last, sadly. What brings you to T2W then?

I can imagine.. I've just been trying to piece together exactly what happened while my father was trading, as only being 7 at the time I was too young to understand. My search led me to this forum and I felt compelled to say something.

Why don't you get in touch with him? (if you're not) A family breaking up just for money is probably up there with one of the most stupid reasons. It's only money and there's more to family life than just going on your 3 holidays a year and being sent to the best private schools around. Of course, women have a tendency to suddenly flee the moment they don't think they can keep up their spending habits when the well runs a bit dry. But that's love these days.

I can imagine.. I've just been trying to piece together exactly what happened while my father was trading, as only being 7 at the time I was too young to understand. My search led me to this forum and I felt compelled to say something.

Have you never asked him? There's always a few sides to every story... you have yours, your mother has hers... what's his?

Why don't you get in touch with him? (if you're not) A family breaking up just for money is probably up there with one of the most stupid reasons. It's only money and there's more to family life than just going on your 3 holidays a year and being sent to the best private schools around. Of course, women have a tendency to suddenly flee the moment they don't think they can keep up their spending habits when the well runs a bit dry. But that's love.

You're assuming things again!

Why don't you get in touch with him? (if you're not) A family breaking up just for money is probably up there with one of the most stupid reasons. It's only money and there's more to family life than just going on your 3 holidays a year and being sent to the best private schools around. Of course, women have a tendency to suddenly flee the moment they don't think they can keep up their spending habits when the well runs a bit dry. But that's love these days.

I actually find your comments quite rude and insensitive. A family breaking up for money is probably up there with one of the most stupid reasons, I won't disagree. However I do not recall stating that was the reason for the break up. A man who is self centred and indulgent enough to risk everything he had on something he had no idea about is not a fit father in my opinion. Clearly you are not familiar with the details of what went on, if you were I'm sure you'd have quite a different opinion.

I'd also like to point out that we were hardly wealthy prior to these events. We lived comfortably, not extravagantly.

How did he get the gig with Sunday Times, when he clearly had no idea. I wonder if I write to them with some random picks they will pay me!

A man who is self centred and indulgent enough to risk everything he had on something he had no idea about is not a fit father in my opinion.

And if he'd been successful would you still hold the same opinion ?

Status
Not open for further replies.