£10,000 what should I do?

petermac23

This is my situation. I finish university in May and I have a bond which has just matured at £10,567. I really don't want to put it back into another bond and be tied down as this is my only savings. However, I do want to make a bit more on this account but I'm not sure how to. I have been studying options trading for just over a year and I don't think this would be enough to begin with that just yet.

Any ideas on what I should do?

Thanks

Put 10k of it in a safe investment, put the £567 in a trading account and trade/read as much as you can. When you've lost it all/built your confidence you can go from there.

This is my situation. I finish university in May and I have a bond which has just matured at £10,567. I really don't want to put it back into another bond and be tied down as this is my only savings. However, I do want to make a bit more on this account but I'm not sure how to. I have been studying options trading for just over a year and I don't think this would be enough to begin with that just yet.

Thanks

I don't know your experience level but if you have not proved a winning method through forward testing and live trading don't just throw your cash on the line. This game is a marathon not a sprint so take care out there.

Thanks

open a trading account , give me the password i will increase them for u :cheesy:

Since you are posting on T2W, which is a trading site, I'm going to advise you right now. Buying shares is more profitable than trading shares, forex, commodities or anything else.

Trading is, without doubt, a dangerous road to go down. I do it with spare cash and as a pensioner. Tradinng shares for most is "get rich quick". It does not work. For many, it does not get one rich slowly, either.

Go into shares and, even then, get educated on share selection.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Ha ha Tar very funny! Splitlink I like what you have advised me and it does sound very interesting. Although I havn't got much experience in understanding which stocks to buy etc I will definitely look into it. However what Hotch has advised does sound a likely bet. As I want to persue a career in trading after University, I feel this would be a perfect opportunity to get the ball rolling.

Thanks guys, if there are anymore suggestions I am more than happy to hear from anyone else.

Ha ha Tar very funny! Splitlink I like what you have advised me and it does sound very interesting. Although I havn't got much experience in understanding which stocks to buy etc I will definitely look into it. However what Hotch has advised does sound a likely bet. As I want to persue a career in trading after University, I feel this would be a perfect opportunity to get the ball rolling.

Thanks guys, if there are anymore suggestions I am more than happy to hear from anyone else.

I would persue a career in trading BEFORE you invest your own money. You'll soon see what is the easier.

Hotch, more or less, says the same as me. The bit over £10,000 is the amount to risk.

Tar was not joking!

Last edited:
I would persue a career in trading BEFORE you invest your own money. You'll soon see what is the easier.

Hotch, more or less, says the same as me. The bit over £10,000 is the amount to risk.

Tar was not joking!

yeah right ! "if" i make 10% monthly for him he take 750 and i take 250quids after one month of hard work ,yeah it is worth it ! :|

I know you're a legendary member but I wouldn't trust giving my money to someone I don't know for him to gamble with it. Sorry.

I know you're a legendary member but I wouldn't trust giving my money to someone I don't know for him to gamble with it. Sorry.

u didnt understand my post , it is not worth it for me i am sorry 2 , i was kidding :)

@ stocks investing : i am with this concept but again it is not easy u need to do your homework first ...

Ah ok. When you say stock investing do you mean buying stocks or trading shares? Would you say buying stocks is a more long term investment?

Ah ok. When you say stock investing do you mean buying stocks or trading shares? Would you say buying stocks is a more long term investment?

long term investment i mean , u need to be well prepared , do more research , paper trade ... etc , dont put your eggs in one basket ....

@ trading : is it for u ? do u want to trade or u want to make some money only ? if u want to trade put in your mind u most likely will lose your 10k b4 u become "consistently profitable" , now i am not kidding :)

If you buy "The Zulu Principle" by Jim Slater you will find it an uncomplicated read. Some would say that it is out of date but I still refer to it. The main points that I watch for are earnings growth and debt. With a 16 quid per month data subscripton service like Sharescope you can filter out the companies that interest you very quickly for a few hours per week.

Trading shares will cost you much more time than that and is hardly worth it, unless you are good, which has to be proved, not by talking about it on here, but by your own bottom line assessment of your own abilities. It is not for everyone.

Last edited:
Agreed with no experience trading is pure gambling, if you want to actually make money look at shares with a 1-3 year view.

Thanks

Yeah go for it, learn to trade!, open an account with someone like IB, you will lose it all for sure, but you will learn!

I didnt start trading until i was 27.. i blew a few accounts and much more than 10K, but i wish had started 5 years sooner..

But dont go down this route unless you really really want to be a trader, more than anything else in the world..

Yeah go for it, learn to trade!, open an account with someone like IB, you will lose it all for sure, but you will learn!

I didnt start trading until i was 27.. i blew a few accounts and much more than 10K, but i wish had started 5 years sooner..

But dont go down this route unless you really really want to be a trader, more than anything else in the world..

You seem as though you, really, have the bit between your teeth, mate.

Frankly, I would not give that advice with that experience. Life is very short, you know.
Blowing several accounts sounds very courageous but living through it, especially if you've got a family to support, is another matter.

I would say trading definitely supplements investing. Both require a proper understanding of how the markets operate so it is incorrect to say that one is "safer" than the other. I have become a much more profitable and confident investor through the lessons I learned from trading.

You seem as though you, really, have the bit between your teeth, mate.

Frankly, I would not give that advice with that experience. Life is very short, you know.
Blowing several accounts sounds very courageous but living through it, especially if you've got a family to support, is another matter.

He is single and young, life is too short.. thats why i wished i had started earlier.
I probably wouldnt give that advice to a 50 year old who still has his mortage to pay and daughters to marry off.

I echo what Hotch said if you're serious about trading.

Also, just to let you know, the tags under the member's names here, such as "legenday member, veteran, senior, etc", are only to do with number of posts they've made on these boards, and absolutely nothing to do with profitability or ability in trading.