Best Thread US day traders thread.

Just logged into my trading platform: PitBull said he would be watching SLAB today - anyone catch the $2 pre-market run on it!

PitBull said:
The earnings pick of the bunch today I will be looking at:

Before open: SLAB, MXIM

Time not supplied: KOMG, NVLS, QCOM

I'm also looking at

HOLX
FLSH
JOYG
AMTD - $6 drop, over 25% but normally a pretty flat stock, so low probability.

And favourite VLO which has tested 61.30 resistance in pre-market - nice U completed from yesterday or hopefully a BIG cup and handle.

You guys seem more concentrated on intraday rather than eod stuff like me but I though I would post my current positions.

If anyone has any comments I would appreciate hearing them..

CKEC
CAG
HOTT
UFCS
FDP
FRED
VCI (this one could be a real dog)...

Cheers
Splurge

Been trialling Via Trader today. Trying to work out how to match the calls to potential trades. The answer is to just relax! Chill! Watch what is actually happening on your charts and L2 when it throws something up. Enter if it's good, avoid if it's not. If you relax and don't flap, you're ok, otherwise you get smacked by the car with the headlights coming hurtling towards you!

And don't try to look at everything!

Very interesting though. And loads of opportunities.

does Via Trader issue alerts in the evening, after Naz has called it a day with the comments?

Only one trade for me today and that was SLAB. :cheesy:

Chart attached. Long @ 43.53, out half 48.05, other half run to 49.96 = $3.22

Attachments

• SLAB.jpg
    SLAB.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 289
Cigar said:
does Via Trader issue alerts in the evening, after Naz has called it a day with the comments?

Yes, and from what I've seen the comments last through till the close.

PitBull said:

What a fantastic run. Nice trade!

Good one

Not traded today - work broadband went down - we should sue bt for missed opportunities !!

Mark

PitBull said:

PitBull said:

great stuff PitBull!
you derserve a starbucks and a SLAB of cake!

back to chart watching for me thou.

samtron said:
just a thought, I'm not sure if its practical, instead of routing it to the selected ECN use smart routing (ib has it, not sure about other brokers) then you should still get filled, but you might even get a better price than the price offered by your selected ECN.

As a novice I'll be steering well clear of the pre/post market stuff for the time-being :eek:

Good luck today gang

Hi Samtron

I can't comment on IB, but yes smart routing should work OK, limit not market though, as outside hours.

I only hit bids or take offers when a bit slower and I want to have absolute control of my exit and find where the liquidity is. Otherwise I'll be pegging the inside (dynamic limit order). I imagine with IB smart routing it will be routed to ARCA, BRUT, then ISLD, so with ARCA, you don't need an uptick if shorting.

Had a nice short in QCOM post market for a $1.15 and 2 trades this evening. One in CBRL for 39 cents and a 7 cent loss in JNPR.

Nokia earnings tomorrow are going to cause some stir ;) plus Nasdaq heavyweight AMGN. Both before open.

Last edited:
PitBull said:
Nokia earnings tomorrow are going to cause some stir ;) plus Nasdaq heavyweight AMGN. Both before open.
And check out VRSN's after-hours tonight. Earnings tomorrow pre-market. Hmmmm, think somebody knows something? The trouble is, what?!

Oh - and SNDK tomorrow night........... think I'll stick to KLAC and let dvdh and PitBull take that on!

Hi

QCOM probably good from both sides last night. I took a long on the basis of the 1 min chart and L2. I've been a little sceptical re the utility of L2 in the past, I use it but not as the main decision factor in entering a trade. I must admit though, that with these pre/post market trades, I am finding momentum seen on the L2 screen and tape to be the most useful thing to look at.

Won't be trading for the next couple of days - away on more mundane business. Pity - should be good - major results, and which way are the US market going to go ? Bounce or start of a short term downtrend. I've a small short on the Dow, but who knows.

Mark

Attachments

• qcom.jpg
    qcom.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 200
I'm looking at intel, Jnj and GE - all hit 52L Wed. Expecting one of them to bounce with pre-market euphoria. And you know some bank will probably come out to defend one of them before the end of the week ?
Hookie

hi
IB feed update,
I have ditched the IB data feed and I am now trialling iqfeed on a 7 day free trial. If fhat doesn't come up to scratch then it'll have to be.............
esignal and dam the expense :eek:

good luck today guys