Dow 2007

Hi guys

Been away for a week on Hols. Had plenty of time for reading. just finished a book called "Understanding Day Trading", interesting reading. The conclusion I have come to,
after reading the book, is that I'm "GAMBLER", not a "TRADER", due to my poor disciplines. I would like to become more professional in my approach, but the information I require, but have not available is "Market volume", preferably real-time.
I am using the Puredeal interface that is supplied free with IG, but the volume indication is not available. I am only spread betting trading/gambling for a few hours a day, so can anyone advise if I can obtain the Market Volume from a free site.

Hi guys

Been away for a week on Hols. Had plenty of time for reading. just finished a book called "Understanding Day Trading", interesting reading. The conclusion I have come to,
after reading the book, is that I'm "GAMBLER", not a "TRADER", due to my poor disciplines. I would like to become more professional in my approach, but the information I require, but have not available is "Market volume", preferably real-time.
I am using the Puredeal interface that is supplied free with IG, but the volume indication is not available. I am only spread betting trading/gambling for a few hours a day, so can anyone advise if I can obtain the Market Volume from a free site.

probably not professional grade, but I watch the volume on the DOW for free at www.advfn.com ..you need to sign up for a free account

Hook

Slight departure from my usual .I'm gonna try micro calls..... as I have a little more time this week and Devel got me thinking with his little cakes analogy yesterday :cheesy:

My Dow target for today is 580 - 99% probability so any dip premarket is an opp for me.

Next up is 610/616 .......50% prob maybe a bit more.....
i.e up to +50 again premark dip is good buy...in fact really welcome Dow now 594/600
well above the last intra day dip at 480......

Hi Hookshot,

Just got in, and noticed above, I tell you Lurkers going to hate me. he"ll think I"v got a little book with them all in. :LOL: :LOL:

ONE MANS MEAT IS ANOTHER MAN'S POISON :!:

Trade well Hook ~ and keep doing what's working for you

Hi guys

probably not professional grade, but I watch the volume on the DOW for free at www.advfn.com ..you need to sign up for a free account

What you want is either the CBOT Live Book (order book and total daily volume), or the free NinjaTrader + OpenTick. NT is a comprehensive and FREE (as long as you don't use it for actual futures trades) charting and simulation platform. OpenTick is an excellent free RT data feed. You only pay exchange fees, and these do not apply for the CBOT eminis. This software will give you any number of charts complete with volume, and also you can see the best bid and offer and time and sales. It is very easy to set up - a fairly rubbish screenshot of my old NT setup - time and sales wasn't switched on at the time.

Hi guys

Something else which may be of help to you (please check out NT and otFeed). If you trade the Dow, and only have a few hours a day, only paper trade it. Either get a demo account with a SB firm like TradIndex or use the simulator feature on NinjaTrader - do not cheat. I was consistently profitable for 12 weeks on the Dow until I tried to trade it "just a few hours a day". I've lost for four weeks in a row now, and am down over 700 on the month. Trading is generally a full time job, unless you are trading using daily or higher timeframes. I wouldn't advise touching intra day trading if you can't watch the market from 2:30-9pm. Good luck!

Day Trading

Hi Tom

Hope you are well, your point regarding day trading, I think really each to their own, as you know I am predominantly a short term position trader, but do also day trade. IMHO with day trading, you have to find what you are comfortable with and understand the markets you are trading and when you can get the best possible results, I generally trade from the open in the morning through to 10.30, then 2.30 -4.30 and I am around the last hour US trading, in case a potential trade shows. You don't have to work long hours, adapt you trading accordingly and add it to your trading strategy, identify how many trades/points you want to make and when done, go away and do something else, unless you want to stay and trade longer, you really shouldn't have to.

On the whole, I normally have achieved my daily points by 10.30, I then choose to trade on, the benefit being, I don't have to, but do so because I enjoy it.

All the best

Hi Tom

Hope you are well, your point regarding day trading, I think really each to their own, as you know I am predominantly a short term position trader, but do also day trade. IMHO with day trading, you have to find what you are comfortable with and understand the markets you are trading and when you can get the best possible results, I generally trade from the open in the morning through to 10.30, then 2.30 -4.30 and I am around the last hour US trading, in case a potential trade shows. You don't have to work long hours, adapt you trading accordingly and add it to your trading strategy, identify how many trades/points you want to make and when done, go away and do something else, unless you want to stay and trade longer, you really shouldn't have to.

On the whole, I normally have achieved my daily points by 10.30, I then choose to trade on, the benefit being, I don't have to, but do so because I enjoy it.

All the best

Thanks Robert. I'm moving to short term position trading as I don't have the time to day trade. Naturally I'm taking a break from live trading until I formulate a strategy which suits my style and has positive expectancy.

Broken the .382 retracement (13626), if this holds, then we could be looking at a move back towards the 50% @ 13736, time will tell, fwiw, I'm flat and not trading this move, (more important things to do: Arsenal Champions league match). Shorter t/f suggest a bit of downside to come, longer t/f, upward motion likely, imho

taking nothing for granted and exiting half at 2195 for +8

in from 2187 and 2205 now... will try and keep this baby running as far as she gets
stops moved up to 2200 :)

Edit: stops now at 2205 and nothing to do but trail price
Yeah Murdock, I love it when a plan comes together :LOL: :cheesy:

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but does anyone have a (preferably free - or just exchange fees) source for real time QM or LC quotes (NYMEX light crude)?

Slightly off topic, but does anyone have a (preferably free - or just exchange fees) source for real time QM or LC quotes (NYMEX light crude)?

IB has QM quotes for free, if you are a customer.
If you don't generate commissions I believe it's 30 USD per month.

PS: exit 2212... taking home 25 points from the Techies :)

PS2: With the Nasdaq just touching it's highs after plunging on last Friday... are you still convinced that "shorts only" is the way to go?

IB has QM quotes for free, if you are a customer.
If you don't generate commissions I believe it's 30 USD per month.

PS: exit 2212... taking home 25 points from the Techies :)

PS2: With the Nasdaq just touching it's highs after plunging on last Friday... are you still convinced that "shorts only" is the way to go?

I'm not an IB customer unfortunately. Well done - that is quite a few Naz points!

Not convinced of anything where the YM is concerned - I'll most likely stay out until FOMC and take a view going in to that. I think we're range bound at the moment - I'd like to see the market a little over extended one way or the other again to gauge supply and demand.

FW, could you do me a favour and pull up T&S for QM? I have QM through CME Globex (OpenTick) rather than the NYMEX feed, and the time and sales looks pretty sparse. I understood that the QM and CL contracts had extremely high volume, yet there are hardly any trades / volume on my Globex. Could you post me a screenshot of a 5m with volume on the QM please? I could then compare it with my chart / feed.

I'm not an IB customer unfortunately. Well done - that is quite a few Naz points!

Not convinced of anything where the YM is concerned - I'll most likely stay out until FOMC and take a view going in to that. I think we're range bound at the moment - I'd like to see the market a little over extended one way or the other again to gauge supply and demand.

FW, could you do me a favour and pull up T&S for QM? I have QM through CME Globex (OpenTick) rather than the NYMEX feed, and the time and sales looks pretty sparse. I understood that the QM and CL contracts had extremely high volume, yet there are hardly any trades / volume on my Globex. Could you post me a screenshot of a 5m with volume on the QM please? I could then compare it with my chart / feed.

Sure,

This is a 5-min bar chart of the QM of last 2 days. Pretty low volume...

Attachments

• qm_nymex.jpg
    qm_nymex.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 150
QMZ7 @ Globex

Somehow I think the volume is a little suspect for a liquid mini futures contract. I'm guessing that this represents the volume which went through Globex, rather than total volume, which is rather useless. Sorry again for being OT.

Attachments

• QMZ7-Globex.png
    QMZ7-Globex.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 177
Okay, so FW's feed and mine look the same with regards to time and volume. This is a crude contract at NYMEX - why is there no volume? Does this follow the CL exactly? If not why not? How quickly does the QM update when the CL changes? I'm a little out of my depth here - I just want live realtime price and volume for the NYMEX light crude contract.

Okay, so FW's feed and mine look the same with regards to time and volume. This is a crude contract at NYMEX - why is there no volume? Does this follow the CL exactly? If not why not? How quickly does the QM update when the CL changes? I'm a little out of my depth here - I just want live realtime price and volume for the NYMEX light crude contract.

Sorry, won't be able to help you on that matter.

You might be getting more feedback here:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=116

Could this be a Globex issue? The NYMEX site reports 240k for todays volume (and this sounds far more sensible). FWs and my feeds are showing volume closer to 10K. What gives?