Best Thread Capital Spreads

As far as I know D4F now require £10k clear overnight before you'll get base less 2%. I can think of better things to do with my £10k.
Me too. Stay away from bookmakers!

looks like i should have kept my mouth shut!!

no doubt i will be shot down but ..... we are financial 'bookmakers' ... clients hold huge funds (amounts which would boggle the mind) with companies such as betfair ladbrooks william hill etc (who also do the odd financial market) but would not dream of asking for interest on the money and in the case of Betfair they are just an exchange with no hedging risk at all etc etc...just client matched bets many of which last for longer than most bets that we quote.

As I said if you want interest - keep your money in a bank !

anyway

good luck today everyone

Simon

Last edited:
Credit Interest

In support of CS, I would much rather have tighter spreads than credit interest. In this regard, to my knowledge, CS does have the tightest spreads in Dec DAX and FTSE, for example. Also, what he says is correct. If you only transfer amounts when necessary, all you will 'lose' is say 4 days interest (the time it takes to reach your account by BACS).

However, this transfer should be easy to do so that 'inertia' doesn't take hold (i.e. laziness in getting round to transferring the money). Simon, in this regard, could you please enable online transfers to be made both in and out, rather than having to telephone?

Thanks

starspacer

a fair enuf point... we have a few worries over security issues allowing anyone to remove funds as this opens us up to potential hacking / or unauthorised access to clients accounts.... but I will get our developers to look at it and see what they can come up with....

Simon

I do like the small spreads - congrats. I opened an account this morning with CS and have dropped my previous SB ( double the spread on SP500 ).
But re phone call last night certainly hope you won't raise min bet level on SP by 10 !! or I for one will be off ( you just get my dosh a bit slower if you have the patience to wait ) :)

starspacer said:
In support of CS, I would much rather have tighter spreads than credit interest. In this regard, to my knowledge, CS does have the tightest spreads in Dec DAX and FTSE, for example. Also, what he says is correct. If you only transfer amounts when necessary, all you will 'lose' is say 4 days interest (the time it takes to reach your account by BACS).

However, this transfer should be easy to do so that 'inertia' doesn't take hold (i.e. laziness in getting round to transferring the money). Simon, in this regard, could you please enable online transfers to be made both in and out, rather than having to telephone?

Thanks

Again, in support of CS, I recently found out that I could cash in an open bet to realise the profit and then reopen the bet at the same price (ie no spread). Maybe this isn't unique, but I can't do it with IG.

You can then use this money for margin on further trades, or transfer it to a high interest account. I was impresed anyway.

Level2 - as for a direct access broker, would this be for dealing in shares directly? It seems many senior traders sneer at SB companies for their pricing yet I am missing something here. In all my dealings with IG and CS, the price comprises the market spread, a level of interest plus a bit of commission. I haven't seen irregular pricing. Why is SB so disliked by some?

The commission is generally in line with stamp duty. The interest works both ways if you're long and short, and the market spread is unavoidable (almost) - could anyone inform me as to other reasons SB co's are viewed so negatively?

The fact that my gains are tax free, my trade length being 3months approx, coupled with the cash free'd up from by stocks paying off the mortgage, suggests SB is the way for me?

All info appreciated.

UTB

Level2 - as for a direct access broker, would this be for dealing in shares directly? It seems many senior traders sneer at SB companies for their pricing yet I am missing something here. In all my dealings with IG and CS, the price comprises the market spread, a level of interest plus a bit of commission. I haven't seen irregular pricing. Why is SB so disliked by some?
There are numerous threads on this site that beat this subject to death. Just use the search facility. The following link might help you a little although do take it with a pinch of salt.

I should stress I am not suggesting using this firm as a broker. They act as introducers to IB and charge an extra commission. Might as well use IB direct unless TWF can persuade you otherwise.

http://www.twowayfutures.com/futuresvsspreads.html

Simon

Any projected date anticipated for realtime data completion ? :)

NYMEX and Brent Crude on a daily with a spread of 5-6 ? Id like that one.

Perrington

Last edited:
Could anyone be so kind as to compare capital spreads versus IG and CMC where I currently have spreadbet accounts? My interest is only on trading uk stocks.

nobrainer said:
Could anyone be so kind as to compare capital spreads versus IG and CMC where I currently have spreadbet accounts? My interest is only on trading uk stocks.

CS have tighter spreads, though the difference is insignificant for the farthest bets. IG offer credit accounts (ie no margin required) which I find very easy to administer, and the IG platform is simpler. In fairness, the CS platform aint bad, just a little more comlex.

CS win on customer service - the staff are generally friendlier and spend more time on the phone.

To summarise, I use CS for my frequent trading (1day - several weeks) as the spreads are better, IG for longer holds (3 months ish). If you can't get a credit account with IG, or don't mind funding margin / stop requirements, I'd choose CS.

Hope this helps.

UTB

the blades said:
CS have tighter spreads, though the difference is insignificant for the farthest bets. IG offer credit accounts (ie no margin required) which I find very easy to administer, and the IG platform is simpler. In fairness, the CS platform aint bad, just a little more comlex.

UTB
The attached image compares the CS December quote for Alliance & Leicester with that of D4Free.

The large red digits are D4F quotes recorded at the same time as the CS platform.

How on earth can it be suggested that CS have tight spreads? If I am missing something please put me right!

LII

Attachments

• CapSpreads.PNG
    CapSpreads.PNG
    88.1 KB · Views: 339
Indeed

LevII said:
The attached image compares the CS December quote for Alliance & Leicester with that of D4Free.

The large red digits are D4F quotes recorded at the same time as the CS platform.

How on earth can it be suggested that CS have tight spreads? If I am missing something please put me right!

LII

I experienced a spread of 19 on United Technology (US) v D4F's 6 today.

Maybe some of CS's shine is wearing off?

Where a stock I want to deal in is quoted by both, I check spreads before dealing although this does not protect against the spread widening later.

Simon,

Are you going to comment on posts #879 & #880?

gcb01 in fairness to CS you may not be comparing like with like. Was the CS quote for a future while that for D4F was for rolling cash? If so, the CS spread was bound to be greater.

LII

LevII said:
Simon,

Are you going to comment on posts #879 & #880?

gcb01 in fairness to CS you may not be comparing like with like. Was the CS quote for a future while that for D4F was for rolling cash? If so, the CS spread was bound to be greater.

LII
Levll

CS was for daily cash as well.

LevII said:

LII

In fairness, I have never (I don't think) claimed they have "tight" spreads. A comparison was requested between IG and CS - and in my experience CS have "tighter" spreads ythan IG - a little different you'd agree?

I can't comment on D4F, other than I tried their platform and thought I needed a PhD to operate, but no doubt I was missing something there.

UTB

Blades,

I'm not a proponent of any SB operation or critical of your post comparing IG (who must be the most expensive operation around) and CS.

I just wonder what CS have to say about the wide discrepancy between their spreads and their general value for money when compared with their other competitors.

Just got all the way through 8 pages of online application and then...

"Unexpected error, click on link to home"

Aaargh!

Dunno whether this is because I used the same name for the real account as for the demo, but it's a tad frustrating, to say the least.

I'm just crap at spread betting and keep losing money even when it's all working fine

#PJ#

Parish said:
I'm just crap at spread betting and keep losing money even when it's all working fine

#PJ#

Parish,

Sorry to hear that - how long have you been SB'ing and what do you trade (stocks, indices etc)?

Wolfson Micro WLF

I currently use Deal4FREE, who no longer trade WLF.

Which SB company's have the best range of UK stock available to trade?

I understand that CS offer FTSE 350. Is that correct?