Automated Trading - Is there hope?

This is a discussion on Automated Trading - Is there hope? within the Trading Systems forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by hellrise I will agree with Mr Ashan , if you dont have time to trade manually and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:00pm   #16
Joined Jun 2011
Re: Automated Trading - Is there hope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrise View Post
I will agree with Mr Ashan , if you dont have time to trade manually and you want to copy other traders then your choice is Zulutrade . Mirror trader does the same thing but with fewer traders , fewer customize options and i'm preety sure fewer subscribers.
Even if you do have time to trade, why would you need to ? Can you not just copy other people and sit back and collect the money ?
BeginnerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 3:12pm   #17
Joined Jan 2012

Well in order to copy someone there should be traders that you could copy lol So someone should do this job in this chain. If you are a trader and you have the time for this then you could make profits from both your followers (as you'll get compensated in zulutrade) and your trading.
hellrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 5:09pm   #18

Joined Mar 2004

Is there any point in trying to learn MT4 or MT5 ?
I mean are any of the indicators remotely useful ? There appear to be a lot of them but quantity doesn't mean quality.
Me
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 8:06pm   #19
tem

I would like to find a Trading Platform that would allow me to add my own data. For instance, I would like to add the data provided at globalzoneonline.com Financial Market page. Any suggestions. I'm using AmiBroker but can't find any advise...
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:21am   #20

Joined Mar 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl365 View Post
There are better trading platforms with better and far easier languages.
Do you mean ninjatrader ?
Me
Old Nov 23, 2012, 1:24pm   #21
Joined Oct 2011

is ninjatrader as good and easy as they all say it is?
robbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 3:15pm   #22

Joined Mar 2004

Quote:
For learning, the best language is probably EasyLanguage from TradeStation. Next best is lite-C from Zorro Trader and third best is C# from Ninja Trader, which is very similar. Then there is a large gap and at the end comes MQL4.
Thanks
Looking through the threads it looks like TradeStation was good but is now lagging behind.
Me
Old Nov 23, 2012, 4:17pm   #23
Joined Jun 2011

Quote:
In my opinion any trader should learn to code, otherwise he will never be able to test his system and determine if it's profitable or not.
Since you know how to code, has it helped you come up with a profitable system yet ? If it hasn't, why would it help a trader ?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 2:59am   #24
Joined May 2012

Quote:
I'm running many profitable automated systems that I've collected over the time, almost 30 so far, some from me and some taken over from others. I've posted an example here in another thread.
Can you please provide the link to the thread you mentioned. Thanks.
Brumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 9:16am   #25

3 Posts
Joined Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
I would like to find a Trading Platform that would allow me to add my own data. For instance, I would like to add the data provided at globalzoneonline.com Financial Market page. Any suggestions. I'm using AmiBroker but can't find any advise...
My advice is to always favor open platforms. The more a platform can be extended and modified, the better. Closed systems with proprietary scripting languages usually paint a pretty small box where you have to try to make due within their rules.

I prefer .Net based applications which allow you to code in C# and to plug in whatever DLLs you like. Build your own data adapters, visualizers, position sizers etc and take control of your trading system. It will allow you to do much more with your trading system and it will make for easier migration to other platforms down the road.

A few good ones are WealthLab, RightEdge and OpenQuant. They are all CLR based and highly plugable.

------------------
Andreas Clenow
Author of Following the Trend
AndreasClenow is offline Training literature vendor (e.g courses / spreadbetting guides / eBooks)   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 9:42am   #26

3 Posts
Joined Dec 2012

It depends on your definition of open platform, I guess. Most platforms can be extended in some way, but for most consumer level apps you'll hit a wall quite fast. When you try to do something more complex you'll see very big differences between say MetaStock and TradeSignal on one end and RightEdge and OpenQuant on the other.

MetaTrader of course is a very good platform and there are other very good platforms with more or less proprietary languages. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not criticizing these platforms or those who use them. Every good tool has its use. My preference for open platforms and standard languages is both for the flexibility it offers and for the ease of migrating.

It all comes down to your business needs and your own personal taste. Not everyone benefits from the added flexibility and not everyone wants to learn a full fledged programming language.

--------------------
Andreas Clenow
Author of Following the Trend
AndreasClenow is offline Training literature vendor (e.g courses / spreadbetting guides / eBooks)   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Pat494
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:32pm   #27
Joined Oct 2011

of course there is hope...!!! you should check out zulutrade for having forex on auto-pilot.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:48pm   #28
Joined Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasClenow View Post
It all comes down to your business needs and your own personal taste.
My bushiness need and personal taste are both for pips. Do you know any open system that will satisfy this requirement ? I will also accept closed systems. In fact I am willing to take on any system as long as it produces pips and I don't care if it's an open, shut, go round and round, shake it all about kind of system. I can code c, pro*c, object c, c++, c#, java, pascal, basic, vba, excel, access, modula 2, 6502, 68000, 8088 and derivatives, html, javascript, pl/sql, t-sql, forth, fortran, cobol, ada, perl, bat, sh, lex/yacc, make, expect, FIX, swift (the system that Iran was thrown out of), tcp/ip, CAN-BUS, OBD1/2 (yes, this is for cars), rs232, MQL4 and many, many more - you name them. I am even willing to learn morris dancing if a system requires it to produce the pips.

The only system I would not take on is zulutrade, since no one ever shown me convincing evidence of pips from that.

Last edited by BeginnerJoe; Dec 3, 2012 at 5:19pm.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:54pm   #29

Joined Mar 2004

The non maths/programming types imho should concentrate on technical analysis and charts - and not even bother to attempt complicated programming, which is a lot of hard work to learn and then what ? There is the problem of what to code up to make a profit. Like optimisation there is vain hope but I think not many pass the acid test of regular profits.
Me
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:10pm   #30
Joined Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeginnerJoe View Post

The only system I would not take on is zulutrade, since no one ever shown me convincing evidence of pips from that.
you are kidding right:
just see these public followers accounts: https://v4.zulutrade.com/performance
if this is not an evidence of profitability, dunno what can be for you......