Automatic Pattern Search

This is a discussion on Automatic Pattern Search within the Trading Software forums, part of the Commercial category; An interesting snippet from last night's radio4 was that Man the biggest hedge fund in the world worth £50 billion, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 30, 2006, 4:48pm   #29

Joined Mar 2004
An interesting snippet from last night's radio4 was that Man the biggest hedge fund in the world worth £50 billion, has been using a computerised black box system to make their trades since the 1980s. It displaced their commodity traders.

Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:28am   #30
Joined Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494
An interesting snippet from last night's radio4 was that Man the biggest hedge fund in the world worth £50 billion, has been using a computerised black box system to make their trades since the 1980s. It displaced their commodity traders.
Probably it's something as simple as a 3-MA cross. All that counts is discipline. In the long term a disciplined trader with a mediocre system will do better than a compulsive trader with a superb system.

Jim
dmilong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:59am   #31
Joined Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494
Are you still happy with tradingbasis ? Please could you say why you think it is so good.
Thx
I just checked the purchase page and the following info appears: Publisher: Beate Zmuck, Austria.

There is no clear address or any tel number/fax on that website. I wouldn't trade a black box of this kind. There is no historical performance analysis available for any of the signals the program generates. Actually, the user doesn't even know how the signals are generated in the first place. The price is about $270 for the complete package , which is reasonable although you can purchase a Metastock add-on at this price range that will do a lot more than this program and you won't have to switch to Amibroker.

Jim
dmilong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:22am   #32

Joined Jan 2004
Quote:
An interesting snippet from last night's radio4 was that Man the biggest hedge fund in the world worth £50 billion, has been using a computerised black box system to make their trades since the 1980s. It displaced their commodity traders
many of the large players now use neural nets to find trades within an accepted model
Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:51pm   #33
Joined Apr 2005
Has anyone read about Ed Seykota from Market Wizards? He was one of the first and still only using complete mechanical trading systems. Considering he built his first profitable one in the early 80's it probably only consited of moving averages and some sort of trailing stop.

damo
damo484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:51pm   #34

Joined Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmilong
I think so Ron. I'm working on an algorithm that calculates the probability of a winner at any given time based on the frequency and number of generated patterns by APS. It isn't the Holy Grail but I'm sure it'll get close enough.

Jim
Hello Jim, I have APS (version 4.9) and it has worked well for me but I need to get to the next stage of organising the output of the program and calculating probabilities along the same lines you suggested. If you are still around please send me a message to discuss possible cooperation. I have realized APS has many capabilities I am not utilising at the moment.

Alex
Old Nov 9, 2006, 3:15pm   #35

Joined Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmilong
Initial results for S&P 500 futures tell me that a good number of patterns pass the forward test. Jim
Hi Jim,
I see you are testing the program out on the S&P 500. Please could you say about how often does the program throw up a buy/sell signal on say <3 consecutive losers. Would it be about 1 a month or 1 a week perhaps ? and is the profitable trade ratio about 70% ( as per the sales blurb ) ?

Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote