Automatic Pattern Search

This is a discussion on Automatic Pattern Search within the Trading Software forums, part of the Commercial category; Originally Posted by johnpaterson Hello Pat, I looked at the APS product a couple of months ago. I tried to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 16, 2007, 1:03pm   #61

Joined Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaterson
Hello Pat, I looked at the APS product a couple of months ago. I tried to purchase a license two weeks ago but I was turned down -- believe it or not!

I then tried to get an explanation about the rejection but no details were offered.

Do you or anyone else know if there is a third party re-seller of this product? I googled but I could not find one.

Thanks in advance, John
Hello John, did the payment system reject you or the company? It is often the case that credit card processing systems reject a buyer because the address info does not match the address on record, etc. Did you talk to the company about it?

Alex
Old Apr 21, 2007, 9:07am   #62
Joined Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander
Hello John, did the payment system reject you or the company? It is often the case that credit card processing systems reject a buyer because the address info does not match the address on record, etc. Did you talk to the company about it?

Alex
Hello Alex. Thanks for your comments and suggestions. No, it wasn't credit card related problem. My payment went through but it was later refunded by the company. Well, I'm looking for alternative supplier.

John
johnpaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 3:44pm   #63

Joined Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaterson View Post
Hello Alex. Thanks for your comments and suggestions. No, it wasn't credit card related problem. My payment went through but it was later refunded by the company. Well, I'm looking for alternative supplier.

John
I see you got the program and making some money too! Good move John.

Make sure you read and understand the article by Michael Harris on trading multiple pattern formations. Fidelity found it important enough to publish it on their website. This is the way to make big money with APS. You will find it here:

http://personal.fidelity.com/myfidel...ugust2003.html

Alex
Old May 17, 2007, 6:28am   #64

Joined Oct 2006
How is your trading with APS going Alex?

I'm working on a few APS add-ons. I've written a VB program to take the scan output, filter it according to a number of criteria. This is useful if one plans to use the scan output to automate trading. You can have up to 10 different criteria in the filter like a ratio of price to 200 MA, RSI value, SMA crossover condition T or F, etc.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander View Post
I see you got the program and making some money too! Good move John.

Make sure you read and understand the article by Michael Harris on trading multiple pattern formations. Fidelity found it important enough to publish it on their website. This is the way to make big money with APS. You will find it here:

http://personal.fidelity.com/myfidel...ugust2003.html

Alex
ronblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:45am   #65

Joined Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronblack View Post
How is your trading with APS going Alex?

I'm working on a few APS add-ons. I've written a VB program to take the scan output, filter it according to a number of criteria. This is useful if one plans to use the scan output to automate trading. You can have up to 10 different criteria in the filter like a ratio of price to 200 MA, RSI value, SMA crossover condition T or F, etc.

Ron
Ron, sorry it took so long to reply. In case you develop any APS add-on as you say I would be interested to purchase it from you if I determine it is useful to my trading methods.

I do some filtering using an excel worksheet I get from the scan output. It is also interesting that in the latest version (I think it is 4.93) you can add scan results to system tracking directly. I plan to upgrade to that feature soon since APS signals have become an integrated part of my trading.

regards, Alex
Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:15am   #66

Joined Mar 2004
Has anyone tried using the system for intraday ? And if so with what results ?
Me
Pat494 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 4:18pm   #67

Joined Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
Hi Pat, I started testing intraday 15 minute EUR/USD and GBP/USD data and I am getting some good results. The main problem is execution time. I have over 30,00 bars in my data files and it takes about 3 days on a dual core 2.40 GHz CPU. I need to get one of those faster quad core machines.

If you are to run APS on intraday data it seems to me a dedicated machine is required.

By the way, I have gotten good results for ES intraday 5 minute bars but I am not trading that at the moment.

Another problem is getting the data files without errors and such. But it certainly worths trying.

Alex
Old Jul 13, 2007, 6:53am   #68

Joined Oct 2006
Quote:
The main problem is execution time. I have over 30,00 bars in my data files and it takes about 3 days on a dual core 2.40 GHz CPU. I need to get one of those faster quad core machines. Alex
Alex, best APS results are for daily bars. I made good profits during the recent Dow rally by just scanning a list of 50 stocks for profit target and stop loss equal to 5%. It only takes less than 10 minutes a day to run the scan in extended mode.

Good luck to you.

Ron
ronblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2007, 2:09pm   #69

Joined Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronblack View Post
Alex, best APS results are for daily bars. I made good profits during the recent Dow rally by just scanning a list of 50 stocks for profit target and stop loss equal to 5%. It only takes less than 10 minutes a day to run the scan in extended mode.

Good luck to you.

Ron
I agree and I like your approach. I do something similar one with S&P stocks.

Alex
Old Nov 23, 2007, 2:53pm   #70
Joined Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
Hi Pat, I know use APS with 15 minute forex bars and I have some excellent back tests. I will be using the software for real time trading soon. I have figured out a way to use the scan function real-time on 3, 5, 7 and 12 minute bars.
equtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 3:11pm   #71

Joined Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by equtrader View Post
Hi Pat, I know use APS with 15 minute forex bars and I have some excellent back tests. I will be using the software for real time trading soon. I have figured out a way to use the scan function real-time on 3, 5, 7 and 12 minute bars.
Interesting to know how you get on
thx
Pat494 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 3:33pm   #72
Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by equtrader View Post
Hi, you can automate it using MQL (metatrader) for forex. Custom timeframes are also possible...

I don't think having a large list of patterns would be a problem with MQL...

Last edited by ForexDude; Dec 9, 2007 at 3:40pm.
ForexDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:40am   #73

Joined Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForexDude View Post
Hi, you can automate it using MQL (metatrader) for forex. Custom timeframes are also possible...

I don't think having a large list of patterns would be a problem with MQL...
Hello ForexDude, MQL and Metatrader look interesting although the language appears complicated for someone without a computer science degree. Regardless, doesn't that tie you to a specific FX broker?

I am looking at NInjaTrader at the moment. It looks like it is much more easier to develop strategies in this program. It is also easier to use the data from NInja with APS. I was told next upgrade will be able to read the NInja export format directly and no conversions will be required. But it is easy at this point to use the data just by making a global replacement of characters in WordPad:

APS Automatic Pattern Search - NinjaTraders

Alex
Old Dec 17, 2007, 2:32pm   #74
Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Hello ForexDude, MQL and Metatrader look interesting although the language appears complicated for someone without a computer science degree. Regardless, doesn't that tie you to a specific FX broker?

Alex
I could help with MQL...

The majority of FX brokers use MetaTrader so it's fair to say that you have a wide selection...
ForexDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:13pm   #75

3 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
How do you forward test and why use a delay ?
Derby1 is offline   Reply With Quote