Automatic Pattern Search

This is a discussion on Automatic Pattern Search within the Trading Software forums, part of the Commercial category; If anyone is willing to sell their version, please contact me at inbox.chi@gmail.com . Thanks....

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:27am   #346
Joined Mar 2010
Re: Automatic Pattern Search

If anyone is willing to sell their version, please contact me at inbox.chi@gmail.com.

Thanks.
skanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 11:31am   #347
Joined Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanker View Post
If anyone is willing to sell their version, please contact me at inbox.chi@gmail.com.

Thanks.
I do not think anyone will risk selling his version to you. Next thing you will do is to contact the company and say such and such customer of yours sold me (illegally) a copy of the program.
intradaybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:50pm   #348
Joined Mar 2010

What is everyone's thoughts on the p-indicator? Worth the money?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:13am   #349

Joined Mar 2005

Skanker see my previous posts. All of Harris' products and books are worth their money. He is one of the most sensible, practical and knowledgeable trader around. For details on the p-Indicator try this

http://www.tradingpatterns.com/The_p-Indicator.pdf

IMO it is not a good practice trying to illegally purchase software from the internet. You never know to whom you are talking. You may get software that contains sophisticated spyware that it is virtually undetectable and can steal trading passwords, cc numbers and do all sorts of nasty things to your life. Be very careful.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 3:39am   #350
Joined Mar 2010

dsregard

Last edited by skanker; Mar 12, 2010 at 4:00am.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:41pm   #351

Alex, what is your data provider please ?
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:06pm   #352

Joined Oct 2006

Quote:
What do you mean by "worth the money"? Any tool out there is as good as its user. A trader can have the best system and still screw up and lose all of his money.

APS is one of the most powerful trading programs I have ever used but at the end of the day it won't help anyone who does not know how to use the power properly. I think I have figured out how to use APS properly and it has worked nicely up to this point. Please do not ask for details because I am not going to say anything over and above what I already have said in other posts.
ronblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:36am   #353
Joined Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronblack View Post
What do you mean by "worth the money"? Any tool out there is as good as its user. A trader can have the best system and still screw up and lose all of his money.

APS is one of the most powerful trading programs I have ever used but at the end of the day it won't help anyone who does not know how to use the power properly. I think I have figured out how to use APS properly and it has worked nicely up to this point. Please do not ask for details because I am not going to say anything over and above what I already have said in other posts.
Nothing can help a trader who does not understand probability theory and risk management. Even the best systems fail when not properly traded. As far as APS, I do not think it is for everyone. Its proper application relies on a good understanding of probability and statistics. I do not think it can help traders who do not understand well these concepts. It is remarkable that this program can find all these patterns but using the output in profitable ways is not as straight forward as some may think.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:55am   #354

2 Posts
Joined Mar 2010

Quote:
Does the company have a demo?
paulzastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:38pm   #355
Joined Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzastro View Post
Does the company have a demo?
They do. It is the full program minus some rather important functions. Actually, you can get a very good idea about the program from the demo. You may have to contact the company as it seems they do not allow direct demo downloading any longer. http://www.tradingpatterns.com/Contact/contact.html
Albert Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2010, 1:57pm   #356
Joined Jan 2008

It appears that APS licenses are not for sale any longer:

"As of 03/31/2010 APS is no longer available for sale to the public. "

http://www.tradingpatterns.com/Purchase/purchase.html
Old Apr 1, 2010, 3:27pm   #357

but you can get something close to aps
http://ww.breakoutfutures.com/Builder/index.htm
Old Apr 2, 2010, 7:55pm   #358
Joined Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by val2004 View Post
but you can get something close to aps
http://ww.breakoutfutures.com/Builder/index.htm
Thanks for the link but for $2k you get nowhere close the power of APS. The code generation seems ad-hoc. From the example on that website

"Code Sample
An example of the EasyLanguage strategy code generated by Builder is shown below.* This code represents a day trading system where the logic for long and short trades is different (Symmetry option set to false). The strategy enters long on a breakout from the prior close, where the breakout amount is a fraction of the average true range (ATR)."

It is an indicator based search that looks for an optimal system after a number of permutations. This is very naive type of search. Strata Search does the same thing a lot better.

Even worse, they do not offer a demo version. I would consider buying it if I could do extensive testing before, like I did with APS.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:40am   #359

Joined Mar 2008

I upgraded to the new version with the p-indicator a month ago. I was not sure about the indicator capabilitites but my profits from my recent three trades covered the cost. I am still not sure what the best way is to use this indicator. For example, in a T/S file, do you input just one line of parameters or multiple lines, what is better?. Which is the best target/stop to exit the actual position when multiple lines are present in a T/S file? I use the smallest value of the target to exit the position but maybe using the average makes more sense.
trader3cnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:21am   #360
Joined Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by trader3cnd View Post
I upgraded to the new version with the p-indicator a month ago. I was not sure about the indicator capabilitites but my profits from my recent three trades covered the cost. I am still not sure what the best way is to use this indicator. For example, in a T/S file, do you input just one line of parameters or multiple lines, what is better?. Which is the best target/stop to exit the actual position when multiple lines are present in a T/S file? I use the smallest value of the target to exit the position but maybe using the average makes more sense.
How do you backtest the p-Indicator? This is my problem since I upgraded too. It works nicely, I have gotten a few good signals and I think I will be concentrating on that portion of APS.

For the backtest, I am trying to develop a script that will do the following:

1. Start with a historical data file.
2. Run APS p-Indicator
3. Save the results in Excel
4. Extract the following from the excel file and historical data file and store in a text file: Date, O,H,L,C, PIL, PIS, S
5. Delete the last line in the historical data file
6. Go to step 2
7. Invert the text file to have the most recent data in the last line
8. Use the text file to backtest p-indicator

I think it should work in principle. Any thoughts?