Good alternatives to esignal

This is a discussion on Good alternatives to esignal within the Trading Software forums, part of the Commercial category; Hi I would have posted this one in the software forum, but there is no esignal subforum - which is ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 22, 2004, 10:41pm   #1
Joined Dec 2002
Question Good alternatives to esignal

Hi

I would have posted this one in the software forum, but there is no esignal subforum - which is a bit of a surprise - as I have always considered esignal to be one of the main charting software providers.

I like esignal for the affordable price, reliability, customer support, the wide range of datafeeds/markets that it caters for, and EFS - esignal formula script - for being able to design and implement mechanical strategies.

I would like to know the names of the alternatives to esignal - with a similar subscription cost, and the ability to custom build and implement strateges. Also, if you are aware, how they compare to esignal for reliability and technical support.

Many many thanks

jtrader.
JTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 10:48pm   #2
Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrader
I would like to know the names of the alternatives to esignal - with a similar subscription cost, and the ability to custom build and implement strateges. Also, if you are aware, how they compare to esignal for reliability and technical support. Many many thanks
jtrader.
This doesn't really answer your question at all, but I used to use eSignal and don't any more. I've switched to a thing called ProRealTime from www.prorealtime.com. At the moment, I'm still on the week's free trial of real-time service, and I'll certainly be subscribing when the week's up (or rather when I get back from holiday which will be a week or so later). It seems to me to contain exactly the same at a much lower price. They have also been a pleasure to deal with (so far, anyway ... very limited experience, I grant you, but if you don't know them, take a look at their website). There's a thing called the "programmable version" of the "workstation" which might interest you.
Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 3:04pm   #3

1 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Roberto

are you still using prorealtime ? If so are you trading forex ? Interested in your opinions

Jeremy
jemodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 3:18pm   #4
Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemodile
Roberto

are you still using prorealtime ? If so are you trading forex ? Interested in your opinions

Jeremy
Yes, I'm still using ProRealTime. I hardly trade forex at all (but I admit to one small cable trade this morning!). I'm happy with it, especially the price. Ask away, if there's anything specific. You're welcome to send PM, if you wish.

Roberto
Old Oct 18, 2004, 3:30pm   #5

Joined Aug 2004
I am a beginning paper trader and I'm just starting to get information from different brokers about the platforms they available, comissions, spreads, etc...

One broker I talked to offers esignal and described it as comparable to tradestation. I've looked at the tradestation demo and this does not seem likely to me. One big difference I see immediately is market share - (and hence forum support and script sharing in the user community). The fact that esignal does not have its own forum on this BB is a warning flag to me....

Perhaps Esignal is used more by professionals who already are familiar with it's concepts and script language and who don't have time to gab on BB's....

Any remarks?
JO
JumpOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 3:53pm   #6
Joined Feb 2003
Roberto

Would I be correct in assuming they do not cover the FTSE 100 index Liffe Future exchange, at least I cannot find it. The prices are much lower than Esignal but unfortunately I require Liffe data the FTSE cash chart is not suitable for my day trading as it tends to be behind so better for positional day trading but I am working on a momentum style at present for covering the market over the 1st few hours rather than the day.

Regards

Kevin
kevin546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 5:55pm   #7
Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin546
Would I be correct in assuming they do not cover the FTSE 100 index Liffe Future exchange
Hi Kevin; yes, I believe that's right. I "gave up" the FTSE. This was the price I paid to switch from eSignal to ProRealTime. My own guess was that this probably accounted in part for the enormous price-difference. (Maybe the feed from Liffe exchange is far more expensive than others, or something?). I decided I could live without it. Obviously this won't suit everyone, though.