Mechanical Trading Intra Day

This is a discussion on Mechanical Trading Intra Day within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; April 10 Ym +5 EMD +580 ER2 +80 DAx +1100 ESTx +170 SMI + 635 Net 2,570 1 lot equity ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 11, 2008, 8:19am   #36

Joined Feb 2004
2nd day of profits

rdstagg started this thread April 10
Ym +5
EMD +580
ER2 +80
DAx +1100
ESTx +170
SMI + 635

Net 2,570
1 lot equity 25,823 Pos size Equity 24,708

Popped along to a training day yesterday with a relatively new company in St Albans. Always interested to see what others are doing. So impressed I even signed up for one of their courses - must have been a rush of blood to the head!
Anyway what I liked was they actually have a real live trading room and trade the hard right edge of the chart. None of this here's what you should have done on an old chart (which is easy).
I spend an average of 3-4k per year on books and courses, training, etc. I find it helps to keep up with what's new and there is always that element of "ah yes I had forgotten about that"
I toodle off in May so I will let you know.

My new electric golf cart arrived yesterday - so surprisingly I am out playing golf later today. Can't wait!

Last edited by rdstagg; Apr 17, 2008 at 8:36am.
rdstagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 2:39pm   #37

Joined Feb 2004
Week 3 - Portfolio +20%

rdstagg started this thread Frustrating week of missed opportunities really but always nice to bank profits.
Disappointed with SMI - so far it has managed to add
-$55 to our account in it's 19 days in our portfolio.
Similarly ESTX50 is -$515 for the same period.
Ironically ( and I say this from experience) - the Dow has been the star performer at +2,630.

I would like a nice set of straight breakouts please Mr Market. Thank You.

PS After a while I will add some charts of our equity but at the moment there really isn't enough data to make it meaningful. Plus I am experimenting with what works on the blog and what doesn't.
if anyone has any preferences please comment.
Attached Thumbnails
blog-equity-weekly-april-11.png  

Last edited by rdstagg; Apr 17, 2008 at 8:35am. Reason: PS
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:23am   #38

Joined Feb 2004
Real time trading Charts

rdstagg started this thread I find tape reading very difficult and I would be the first to say I am quite poor at it . But every now and again it comes together and this sequence of charts shows what I was thinking and how I played it out.
Importantly it prevented (so far) a loss on the dax on our standard breakout system
I would be quite prepared to re enter this long later though.

Tomorrow I am away at a mechancial traders group meeting so I will be unlikely to blog.

PS apologies for the slightly messy charts but these are what I use when I am screen watching.
Attached Thumbnails
14-04-2008-10.50.27.png   14-04-2008-10.51.27.png   14-04-2008-11.01.13.png  

14-04-2008-11.27.44.png  

Last edited by rdstagg; Apr 16, 2008 at 1:37pm. Reason: Added Italics for clarification
Old Apr 15, 2008, 7:49am   #39

Joined Feb 2004
Grinding our axes.

rdstagg started this thread April 14th

Ym -270
EMD -310
ER2 +50
DAX - 0
ESTX -180
SMI 0

Net -710

Well our view on the dax breakout saved us 600 of loss - marvellous. ( see previous post) Avoiding the losses really helps the equity curve.
All the other trades were of exactly the same type - entry long, go up for a point or two and then spend the rest of the day going down.
As I hardly touched any of the others in real time I have included these as full losses. I did not want to be in EMD but I can't really say why - just a feeling with the volume bloom and the hammer candle , however if unsure one has to just follow the plan. Shame.
Attached Thumbnails
ian.png  

Last edited by rdstagg; Apr 17, 2008 at 8:31am.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 7:51pm   #40

Joined Feb 2004
Sometimes you get lucky

rdstagg started this thread Went to my system traders meeting today and decided I was not prepared to just leave the system running blind.
Even though there are 2 hours to go to closing I am quite glad I did. Horrible system day.
More tomorrow....

Last edited by rdstagg; Apr 17, 2008 at 8:32am.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:47pm   #41

Joined Feb 2004
Yesterday

rdstagg started this thread Well, whilst not patting ourselves on the back we were saved from a drubbing yesterday.
I had decided not to trade purely automatically yesterday as the markets have been very volatile and very unfriendly to our breakout system. It seemed sensible to just take a day off - now this is not in my trading plan but sometimes you have to go with what you think. I was quite prepared to go with losing out on a big win as well but not being here and not really having any platform access I simply assessed the risk as too high. I did watch the European markets for about an hour and a half on the open and it was all a bit "random" as my teenager daughter tells me.
Net result we were saved from a loss of 2.320.
Phew!

Last edited by rdstagg; Apr 17, 2008 at 8:35am.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 8:09am   #42

Joined Feb 2004
USA 1 Europe 0

rdstagg started this thread April 16th

YM +370
EMD +670
ER2 +270
Dax -700
ESTX +15
SMI -400

Net +225

Ah what could have been. European markets all went for a great long trend but we were short. US markets saved the portfolio by putting in v good performances.
Today's chart shows the importance of looking at the bigger picture - in particular yesterday's important pivot levels.
The floor pivot levels are marked in magenta but the two white lines are where the market made significant turns the day before and voila - where do they turn tomorrow. Doesn't always work of course ( that would be way too easy) but it pays to have them on your chart.
The system is becoming increasingly frustrating - a sure sign things are lining up for a biggie.
Attached Thumbnails
blog-april-16.png  

Last edited by rdstagg; Apr 17, 2008 at 8:15am. Reason: Improved Chart pic