Diary of a new Crypto Trader

This is a discussion on Diary of a new Crypto Trader within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; Hi Charty, Originally Posted by Charty McChartface . . . In terms of misconceptions about indicators i disagree, simply because ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:57am   #31
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Hi Charty,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charty McChartface View Post
. . . In terms of misconceptions about indicators i disagree, simply because of the power of social media. You mention prop traders who are taught by a single tutor, well imagine 20000 traders following the same advice of one "pro" trader using one system on Twitter. If everyone's using the same setup, looking at the same chart, then one can deduce that a move via an indicator will have some momentum? In crypto it doesn't take much to swing the needle. And this is why trading in crypto is different.
Social media, especially Twitter, is very powerful indeed.
Twitter (in this context) is little more than a modern day boiler room - and what you're describing is a well known boiler room scam called 'pump 'n dump'. Sure, you will have some winning trades (possibly a few very profitable ones) using this approach but, in the long run, you will lose money. But don't take my word for it - or anyone else's for that matter. Just remember these comments - and those from mike and FXX etc. - when your account hits the maximum stop loss limit you've set!

Quote:
I have however recently stopped relying on indicators to solely make decisions, and have concentrated more on support and resistance, candlesticks, volume and price ranges to make entries/exits. This simplified view is helping me to learn quickly. This coupled with the fact that i follow a Twitter trader has accelerated my learning.
Beware of what you learn on Twitter. Actually, that also applies here on T2W - I'm not being Twitterist. Traders (if they really are traders) who use Twitter to gain followers rarely have the best interests of the followers in mind. So, question everything and don't accept anything anyone tells you until you have checked it and cross checked it every which way to satisfy yourself that it (i.e. the idea, statement, advice or tip etc.) complements your view of the markets and how they function.

Quote:
Out of curiosity how much TA do you use in your decisions, and out of that proportion what drives you the most?
I'm a big fan of Renko charts as I find time based charts too misleading. This is especially true for Japanese candlestick analysis a la Steve Nison. But that's just me - most other people get on with candlesticks just fine!
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Quantt
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:55pm   #32
Joined Apr 2018
Charty McChartface started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
Hi Charty,

Twitter (in this context) is little more than a modern day boiler room - and what you're describing is a well known boiler room scam called 'pump 'n dump'. Sure, you will have some winning trades (possibly a few very profitable ones) using this approach but, in the long run, you will lose money. But don't take my word for it - or anyone else's for that matter. Just remember these comments - and those from mike and FXX etc. - when your account hits the maximum stop loss limit you've set!

Beware of what you learn on Twitter. Actually, that also applies here on T2W - I'm not being Twitterist. Traders (if they really are traders) who use Twitter to gain followers rarely have the best interests of the followers in mind. So, question everything and don't accept anything anyone tells you until you have checked it and cross checked it every which way to satisfy yourself that it (i.e. the idea, statement, advice or tip etc.) complements your view of the markets and how they function.

I'm a big fan of Renko charts as I find time based charts too misleading. This is especially true for Japanese candlestick analysis a la Steve Nison. But that's just me - most other people get on with candlesticks just fine!
Tim.
Thanks Tim.

Yep i'm totally aware of pump'n'dumps, and fortunately can spot them a mile away (The one's i refer to aren't in that category).
There are but a few genuine traders. The few that i follow don't tell you to buy, they exchange idea's and also show you their trades and often mistakes. But again i can see how people fall for the scammers and their tactics.

I question everything, and i want to learn!

Charty
Charty McChartface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2018, 1:04pm   #33
Joined Apr 2018
Quote:
Hi Charty,

Tim.
Other than Renko what do you chart with?ie indicators . And i take it TA is a small proportion of your analysis?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:44pm   #34

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Hello one and all.
Hello and welcome...

One of the reasons I am active in this forum is a bit nostalgic I guess, in a sense that I see myself in new traders like you - making exactly the same mistakes... I wish there were forums like this many moons ago, when I started, so if I am you I would listen to the others commenting before me...

Anyway, here is my advice:

1. Do not trade tokens, there is just not enough data to build a good trading strategies and no reliable exchanges to do it on (with account insurance)

2. Forget about indicators and candle sticks, unfortunately they just don't work, maybe they did for the rice merchants in Japan few hundred years ago... The moment I became profitable was the moment I realized this simple truth...

3. Trading real money is different than paper trading only if you are risking large amounts like monthly wages, etc and if you do not know what you are doing, it is pure stupidity (and I know it first hand), risking few dollars per trade is just the same as paper trading to me...

4. Twitter and the like is just noise, there is no herd mentality, there are few people/companies trading most of the money and the larger number of traders are trading significantly smaller total amount, so it wont work even if the majority of people are doing the same thing... Not to mention that every one tweeting regularly must have an agenda (selling something: training, signals, etc) otherwise why do it at all... help humanity :-)

Count de Money number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: brewski1984 , timsk
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:16pm   #35
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Quote:
Other than Renko what do you chart with?ie indicators . And i take it TA is a small proportion of your analysis?
Hi Charty,
Renko is pretty much where it's at for me these days. Although one can use indicators with Renko - I've not found any that tell me anything especially useful. So I just keep it super simple and use two charts to provide a macro and micro view. The longer term chart (i.e. larger brick size) indicates the dominant trend, while the short term one (i.e. smaller brick size) helps to time entries and exits. Put very simply, when the bricks of both charts are green I'll be long the market and when both are red I'll be short the market. This obviates the need to work out what a Harami Cross or Tombstone Doji etc. might be telling me - if anything (on Japanese Candlesticks). My personal view is pretty much in line with Quantt's above: I think candlestick analysis is mostly hokum (note emphasis) and has little relevance (especially intraday) to the current market place. The notable exception to this are daily or weekly candlesticks in exchange traded markets. That said, fair play to those traders who swear by such stuff. It's a case of whatever works for you, floats your boat, mows your grass and sends your elevator to the top floor.

Tim.
Thanks! The following members like this post: Charty McChartface
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:03pm   #36
Joined Oct 2015
Whether one is trading TA, indicators, fundamentals, renko, twit signals etc... if you "don't know what you're doing" and you're relatively new, there's a higher risk of losing a few coins Start small...

what is your twitter account McChart? i couldn't find it

Last edited by Kaeso; Apr 27, 2018 at 10:10pm.
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:50am   #37
Joined Apr 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
Whether one is trading TA, indicators, fundamentals, renko, twit signals etc... if you "don't know what you're doing" and you're relatively new, there's a higher risk of losing a few coins Start small...

what is your twitter account McChart? i couldn't find it
Should be Charty McChartface as typed in on search.

Cheers
Old Apr 28, 2018, 9:55am   #38
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Should be Charty McChartface as typed in on search.

Cheers
ok cool, got it, i was searching google which didnt work (i dont have a twitter account btw)
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:42pm   #39
Joined Apr 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
Hello and welcome...

One of the reasons I am active in this forum is a bit nostalgic I guess, in a sense that I see myself in new traders like you - making exactly the same mistakes... I wish there were forums like this many moons ago, when I started, so if I am you I would listen to the others commenting before me...

Anyway, here is my advice:

1. Do not trade tokens, there is just not enough data to build a good trading strategies and no reliable exchanges to do it on (with account insurance)

2. Forget about indicators and candle sticks, unfortunately they just don't work, maybe they did for the rice merchants in Japan few hundred years ago... The moment I became profitable was the moment I realized this simple truth...

3. Trading real money is different than paper trading only if you are risking large amounts like monthly wages, etc and if you do not know what you are doing, it is pure stupidity (and I know it first hand), risking few dollars per trade is just the same as paper trading to me...

4. Twitter and the like is just noise, there is no herd mentality, there are few people/companies trading most of the money and the larger number of traders are trading significantly smaller total amount, so it wont work even if the majority of people are doing the same thing... Not to mention that every one tweeting regularly must have an agenda (selling something: training, signals, etc) otherwise why do it at all... help humanity :-)

Well thanks Quantt.

My purpose for posting this thread was to enable me to learn from other more experienced traders, which i am doing, but i would love some pointers as to what i should be studying - if my way is not the most profitable.

You and others have mentioned trading via price, with no indicators or candlesticks, how do you learn to do that? What resources are good to learn this?

I'm not here to argue the pro's and con's of what i trade, if i papertrade or not, and if i follow people on Twitter. I take those points on board, but i think that what i am doing is right for me.

Anyway, thanks for getting in touch and i look forward to your response.

Charty
x
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:51pm   #40
Joined Apr 2018
Quote:
Hi Charty,
Renko is pretty much where it's at for me these days. Although one can use indicators with Renko - I've not found any that tell me anything especially useful. So I just keep it super simple and use two charts to provide a macro and micro view. The longer term chart (i.e. larger brick size) indicates the dominant trend, while the short term one (i.e. smaller brick size) helps to time entries and exits. Put very simply, when the bricks of both charts are green I'll be long the market and when both are red I'll be short the market. This obviates the need to work out what a Harami Cross or Tombstone Doji etc. might be telling me - if anything (on Japanese Candlesticks). My personal view is pretty much in line with Quantt's above: I think candlestick analysis is mostly hokum (note emphasis) and has little relevance (especially intraday) to the current market place. The notable exception to this are daily or weekly candlesticks in exchange traded markets. That said, fair play to those traders who swear by such stuff. It's a case of whatever works for you, floats your boat, mows your grass and sends your elevator to the top floor.

Tim.
Hi Tim.

I've looked at Renko, but couldn't put it onto smaller timeframes on Tradingview without paying the premium membership. I will look into this further.

I'm guessing that Renko is more suited to Swing Traders than intraday, as you are not too worried about small changes in price - as long as the general trend is up or down?
I think that's right?

If i was to switch over to stocks from Crypto where would you recommend a good start? I've opened an account on AJ Bell, but find the interface much harder than Binance which i use for Crypto. Any help would be appreciated.

Charty
x
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:42am   #41

Joined Mar 2002
Hi Charty,
Quote:
I'm guessing that Renko is more suited to Swing Traders than intraday, as you are not too worried about small changes in price - as long as the general trend is up or down?
I think that's right?
Renko is just another way of presenting price in a visual format and has a lot in common with other graphic representations that don't use time, e.g. Kagi, 3 Line Break and, most notably, Point & Figure. (If you want to explore PnF - dentist007 is the forum expert, check out his thread: Trading with p/f) All of them can be used to day trade, swing trade or position trade. Theoretically, they could even be used by scalpers who are in and out of the market in a matter of minutes. How each trader utilizes their preferred chart type is entirely down to them - there is no right or wrong way - just what works for them.

Quote:
If i was to switch over to stocks from Crypto where would you recommend a good start? I've opened an account on AJ Bell, but find the interface much harder than Binance which i use for Crypto. Any help would be appreciated.
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking here - is it what broker to use to trade stocks? If so, this will - to a greater or lesser extent - be determined by your chosen vehicle to trade them, i.e. direct market access (buying and selling actual shares) or a derivative product of some kind such as CFD's or spread betting. Thereafter, this FAQ will help you sort the wheat from the chaff: Can You Recommend a Data Feed, Charting Software & Broker?

Lastly, in response to your post replying to Quantt in which you ask for resources for trading by price, the go to member on this topic is dbphoenix - it's well worth looking at his threads. He's provided a lot of content, so I suggest you start with these two:
Straight Line Approach, The (the SLA)
Trading Price
Tim.

Last edited by timsk; Apr 30, 2018 at 9:53am. Reason: typo
Thanks! The following members like this post: Quantt
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:20pm   #42

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Well thanks Quantt.

My purpose for posting this thread was to enable me to learn from other more experienced traders, which i am doing, but i would love some pointers as to what i should be studying - if my way is not the most profitable.

You and others have mentioned trading via price, with no indicators or candlesticks, how do you learn to do that? What resources are good to learn this?

I'm not here to argue the pro's and con's of what i trade, if i papertrade or not, and if i follow people on Twitter. I take those points on board, but i think that what i am doing is right for me.

Anyway, thanks for getting in touch and i look forward to your response.

Charty
x
Best is to get data and start experimenting... Tim also gave very good pointers above...

Count de Money number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote