my journal 3

This is a discussion on my journal 3 within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; Daily math done: They came up with 4 new exercises, so I've done many, but I still have 49 exercises ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 2, 2011, 8:12pm   #8

Joined Mar 2003
Re: my journal 3

travis started this thread Daily math done:

snap1.jpg

They came up with 4 new exercises, so I've done many, but I still have 49 exercises to go. 80% of work done. After this, I will have very solid foundations (and what's most important, I will have confidence in my math skills), but still not enough to tackle portfolio theory. I have plenty of time in my hands anyway, since there's no capital in sight. And this is the best investment of my time.

Last edited by travis; Dec 3, 2011 at 2:24pm.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:34pm   #9

Joined Mar 2003
weekly update (forward-testing)

travis started this thread The (formerly) traded combination did not recover yet from the day we stopped trading it with real money (but it didn't go any lower either):
snap.jpg

The best systems at the moment are (trades made on the x, sharpe ratio on y, not shown those with trades less than 10 or sharpe ratio less than 2):
snap1.jpg
Old Dec 3, 2011, 2:19pm   #10

Joined Mar 2003

travis started this thread I've done 3 exercises, and now I have 46 to go. 81% of work done.

snap1.jpg

The web application for this exercise was quite impressive:
Graphing inequalities | Khan Academy

Little by little, I am conquering math. My dislike for math is gone. Now I am almost starting to like it. It feels like playing a videogame, almost.

Last edited by travis; Dec 4, 2011 at 12:10am.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:58pm   #11

Joined Mar 2003

travis started this thread No more caring about the rating of my journal. I used to be obsessed about this, but, just as I successfully got rid of the trolls (with the new option of "only posts from people on contact list"), I now must get rid of this worry, too. Indeed, this is the only way the idiots of the world can still affect me (as far as this journal).

So, given that I just got the first rating of 1 star, by some idiot, to offset this rating, I would have needed to register 10 times, and rate myself five stars. But that would be a way to cause myself worries endlessly for the future.

Instead, I rated my own journal one star, and used another nick (registered a long time ago, to give "my journal 2" five stars) to rate myself yet another "one-star". This way, I am contributing to my own low rating, and it's a psychological trick to not worry about it anymore.

Given that there are in the world a majority of idiots, I should not be surprised to get a low rating anyway. Actually, a low rating may even be a guarantee of my journal being good. I should be honoured to have a low rating.

My only concern from now on, as far as this journal, is to keep track of my work and my thoughts. I don't have to worry about the contacts, not about the ratings, and I am not even worried about unpleasant idiots popping up here without warning. This is going to be a pleasure. I can write whatever I want, show it to everyone, and yet not worry about anything.

Last edited by travis; Dec 3, 2011 at 7:06pm.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 7:03pm   #12

Joined Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
The web application for this exercise was quite impressive:
Graphing inequalities | Khan Academy
Agreed - enjoyed that one Khan now bookmarked. Cheers
'Common patterns transcend individual market behaviour. For example, bond prices have a lot in common with the way cockroaches crawl up and down a wall. Unfortunately for cockroach followers, there is usually no one around to take the other side of a trade'. - Ed Seykota / Market Wizards
p-lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 7:06pm   #13

Joined Mar 2003

travis started this thread Yeah, thanks for the feedback. I am glad you liked it.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 4:11pm   #14

Joined Mar 2003

travis started this thread Ok, that's it for today, probably.

snap1.jpg

I did 6 exercises, but since they added 3 new exercises, now I still have 43 to go. 83% of work done.

Last edited by travis; Dec 5, 2011 at 5:08am.