Sports Trading: the £20 challenge

This is a discussion on Sports Trading: the £20 challenge within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; A video I made about sports trading using the ladder:...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:19am   #36

Joined Jul 2007
Re: Sports Trading: the £20 challenge

shadowninja started this thread A video I made about sports trading using the ladder:
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:23am   #37

Joined Jul 2007

shadowninja started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by firionicable View Post
Hi there. This offer seems to be interesting. How can I start with it? By the way, I can't reply to your message. Don't know why..
Not sure why. When you sign up to Betfair, quote "WYEPD3DNH" and you'll get the £25 bet.

Good luck!
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:04pm   #38

Joined Jul 2007

shadowninja started this thread A thread bump for those looking for opportunities over the weekend... and because it's charity fundraiser time again.

The Geek is running another fundraiser for BBC Children in Need. Some great prizes up for grabs, so well worth checking out.

For those of you unfamiliar with Geeks Toy, it's completely free software for betting or trading on Betfair.

Don't be fooled by the price though, as it's as good as (if not better than) other trading software that you'd have to pay a subscription for! The recently released 1.2 Beta now has Dutching, Bookmaking, stop loss, a multibet tool, support for Betfair video, and a new kick ass in-play interface being released on Monday.

And if that's not enough there is a Betdaq version due in the coming weeks as well.

They also run a great trading forum too, so well worth checking out.

Geeks Toy - Probably the best Betfair trading software in the world!

Oh, at some point before the end of the year, I'll put up another video going into more detail about trading but for the moment, check out this video someone's kindly posted on YouTube.

(I'll be giving a commentary on that to explain how traders take advantage of the price movements.)
Old Nov 20, 2011, 1:25pm   #39

Joined Jul 2007

shadowninja started this thread Oh, boy. I'm a gnat's whisker from the big £1000. Not bad considering it's degenerate gambling.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:47am   #40

Joined Jul 2007

shadowninja started this thread Just an update:

I've got fed up of trading in-game for a tick whilst trying to avoid taking a big loss, then taking a hit and spending a whole week or more trying to earn it back while avoiding taking another loss so I decided to just stick to half time trading. I had done well with that in-game system and had dramatically grown my account (all relative) so have a very nice pot to play with but the stress was not enjoyable at all. With my HT trading, the growth is slower but more consistent with no crazy-arsed drops or rises due to "good" or "bad" goals and red cards. And dare I say it, it's almost enjoyable. It feels a bit like a game of chess.

I suppose I could have carried on with that in-game system via a bot to remove the stress/anxiety as I've proven to myself that it is a winner but I don't have the technical ability.

I'm also working on another system that risks lots of ticks but aims for lots of ticks; only risking £1 a trade but it has so far proven to be limited in its downside. The snag is that I'm looking for a very specific set of events that may only occur two or three times a week. Still, there's always good liquidity so if I'm satisfied that I have something that works, I could risk a few hundred pounds (or even thousands on the big games as putting £5k on a Premiership game ladder is a drop in the ocean) and make a few hundred per game with the overall expectation of more winners than losers. At the moment, I don't have the confidence with it; I could have made a nice bit of profit with the Birmingham game a couple of nights ago as I was tempted to go in, with an 8:1 reward to risk ratio as the game ticked a lot of boxes in my checklist but I'm still not convinced by my system. My "Too Good To Be True" alarm is honking still. Time will tell.

For the mathmos amongst us, the new system appears to have a high probability (80%-90%; only monitored the outcome of about 30 trades so far hence not 100% convinced) of being right with on average a 1:1 R/R (being modest as I suspect it could be about 3:1 reward/risk with some basic adjusting).
Old Feb 9, 2012, 2:49pm   #41

1 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Thumbs up Re: Sports Trading: the £20 challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowninja View Post
I suppose I could have carried on with that in-game system via a bot to remove the stress/anxiety as I've proven to myself that it is a winner but I don't have the technical ability.
Hi shadowninja. I recently got interested in trading through Betfair and this comment of yours really picked my curiosity. I had in mind this idea of developing an automated trading bot too.. I'm pretty confident I have the technical ability, what I lack is the trading system. Maybe you would be interested in making a 'partnership' so we could develop a sofware system that works for the two of us? I know we don't know each other at all, but that could be changed.. Drop me a line if this sounds interesting to you at all!
hhaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:25am   #42

Joined Jul 2007

shadowninja started this thread Well, I scratched that new idea. The averages kicked in, if you see what I mean.

I'm now using a longer term system going for 15-20 ticks a time which seems to be working quite well over maybe 100 trades. Am trying to refine the rules for a "set up" that gets profit while keeping losses to a minimum.