Pin Bar System

This is a discussion on Pin Bar System within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; Originally Posted by Splitlink I was trying something new, today, because I can afford it, just now, and it involves ...

View Poll Results: Should Pocrel trade the "pin bar system" live again
yes 21 87.50%
no 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:23pm   #3151

Joined Nov 2008
Re: Pin Bar System

pocrel started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitlink View Post
I was trying something new, today, because I can afford it, just now, and it involves a bit more stop risk than I normally use.

I don't view pinbars as anything more than a curiosity but thought that I would mention this one. It is the the 1400 2 hour pin on Footsie.

Just in case anyone is interested. I hope that it works, because I am short, at present. I have been higher and running at a loss, but am now getting into profit.
Nice little setup splitlink, I am currently short the s and p so looking at something similar, let hope it works for both of us
pocrel is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:32pm   #3152

Joined Nov 2008

pocrel started this thread This is not a pin bar system setup but it has some elements, I love fading the 1.27 fib extension of the previous up trust, no need for a confirmation bar just enter at that level and ride it back to previous days high or previous weeks high which happen to be the same from yesterday. The zigzag indicator help to measure the the move just for anyone who wants to try something a little bit different, I find this works very well on the 1 hour time frame and also we should be close or at Average Daily range to reduce stoploss risk

s-p500.gif
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:57pm   #3153
Joined Nov 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocrel View Post
This is not a pin bar system setup but it has some elements, I love fading the 1.27 fib extension of the previous up trust, no need for a confirmation bar just enter at that level and ride it back to previous days high or previous weeks high which happen to be the same from yesterday. The zigzag indicator help to measure the the move just for anyone who wants to try something a little bit different, I find this works very well on the 1 hour time frame and also we should be close or at Average Daily range to reduce stoploss risk

Attachment 146554
I've been trying the SP, too, but have not been able to get too enthusiastic about it. I found it very slow, perhaps because it has been running sideways for a while. The Ft has a 1 point spread and, although it is OOH two hours after Wall Street opens, it seems to move the same and has more points to the move. Probably my imagination.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:06pm   #3154

Joined Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocrel View Post
This is not a pin bar system setup but it has some elements, I love fading the 1.27 fib extension of the previous up trust, no need for a confirmation bar just enter at that level and ride it back to previous days high or previous weeks high which happen to be the same from yesterday. The zigzag indicator help to measure the the move just for anyone who wants to try something a little bit different, I find this works very well on the 1 hour time frame and also we should be close or at Average Daily range to reduce stoploss risk

Attachment 146554

and there you go pattern complete, last weeks high becomes support now

s-p500.gif

I would always recommend having the previous weeks high and lows and previous days high and low and use them as support and resistance if your struggling to find levels
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:25pm   #3155

Joined Nov 2008

pocrel started this thread Just to show people what I mean by using previous highs and lows

here are a few examples from today and this can be used on all time frames and the levels you might want to keep an eye, this is very easy support and resistance to mark on your chart, now just like anything else it does not work all the time and you should base your entry on a few other things

usdcad
usdcad.gif

wti
wti.gif

gold
gold.gif
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:45pm   #3156
D70
Joined Nov 2009

Threads back up!
D70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 5:37pm   #3157

Joined Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by D70 View Post
Threads back up!
Not sure D70, not seeing alot of interest in it, 14 versus 2 at the moment not a huge interest so perhaps I should put it to bed
Old Oct 7, 2012, 6:59pm   #3158
Joined Aug 2012

14 versus 2? 14 what?
by the way, do you have a link for that indicator which draws prev week hi and low. thanks
FringFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 7:59pm   #3159
Joined Jan 2008

Selfishly I think you should keep the thread going. Price action and pin bars seem to be the way ahead to me, and I (along with many others I suspect) need all the help I can get.
jbu001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:48pm   #3160

Joined Nov 2008

pocrel started this thread Great little trade today on the audusd

using the previous weeks low and fridays low again which are the same for the reversal area

audusd-pin-bar-1.gif
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:39pm   #3161
Joined Jul 2012

Really like this thread and your trading style. I traded 15 min pin bars using candlesticks before but found i was sat infront of the monitor for too long.

Using the same principal but on dailys.

Any ways well done your way ahead mate
Gup16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:34am   #3162

3 Posts
Joined Oct 2011

hi pocrel, nice thread. I would certainly watch this closely should you decide to start it up again. Thanks!
caes1uM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:28pm   #3163
Joined Nov 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gup16v View Post
Really like this thread and your trading style. I traded 15 min pin bars using candlesticks before but found i was sat infront of the monitor for too long.

Using the same principal but on dailys.

Any ways well done your way ahead mate
Yes, I see your point but don't you think that the stop distance may make, even if they are occasional, losses more damaging when they get hit?

I know that many do trade on daily bars but I have never been able to accept those kind of losses.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:16pm   #3164
Joined Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitlink View Post
Yes, I see your point but don't you think that the stop distance may make, even if they are occasional, losses more damaging when they get hit?

I know that many do trade on daily bars but I have never been able to accept those kind of losses.
You and me both.

Peter
wackypete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:51am   #3165
Joined Jan 2008

How about a short on $/Y at 7923 off the 11.30 pin? (IG Index charts-and not sure how to import them to this)
John
jbu001 is offline   Reply With Quote