isa's short term trading journal

This is a discussion on isa's short term trading journal within the Trading Journals forums, part of the Reception category; Attached is my trades in the S&P 500 Index this week. Both closed positions were losers and the current open ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 16, 2011, 5:41pm   #41

Joined Oct 2010
S&P 500 Trades Ė Jan 11 Week 2

isatrader started this thread Attached is my trades in the S&P 500 Index this week. Both closed positions were losers and the current open position is currently negative as well. I have given the stop loss more room as I think the market is getting a bit old after 7 up weeks. But the short term price action still looks positive, so Iím going to wait and see what Mondays price action looks like before moving the stop down or closing it.

Constructive critique of the trades would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
sp500_30min_trades_wk2.png  

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill Ė Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
isatrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 2:33pm   #42

Joined Oct 2010
Open position update

isatrader started this thread Attached is the chart of my current open position in the US SP 500 Mar 11 Spread (S&P 500 Index). I don’t expect a lot to happen today because the US markets are closed.

I’ve moved my target to breakeven.
Attached Thumbnails
sp500_30min_17-1-11_open.png  

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill Ė Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

Last edited by isatrader; Jan 17, 2011 at 2:39pm.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 6:36pm   #43

Joined Oct 2010
Re: Open position update

isatrader started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by isatrader View Post
Attached is the chart of my current open position in the US SP 500 Mar 11 Spread (S&P 500 Index). I donít expect a lot to happen today because the US markets are closed.

Iíve moved my target to breakeven.
Attached is the updated 30 minute chart of the US SP 500 Mar 11 Spread. European markets are closed now and US is closed today, so I donít expect much else to happen until the Asian session tonight. However, I would be interested to see someone else's opinion of the price action at the moment on the chart. From what I can see it broke down through the first uptrend line but rebounded at the 100 bar EMA and is now between the 22 and 50 bar EMAs just below the down trend line. So Iím not willing to do anything until it breaks in either direction. Thoughts anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
picture-10.png  

Old Jan 17, 2011, 7:44pm   #44

Joined Dec 2010
re: isa's short term trading journal

1282 through 1284 seems to me as a pivot zone. And look what happened, you got a bullish pin right from this zone. But not all is bad, the bar before the pin is very long and pin has a small nose, plus there is a traffic zone after the pin, I would not go long here after this pin, so it could work in your favor, but I have no experience in stocks. Good luck and keep us posted!
pingvin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 7:59pm   #45
Joined Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingvin123 View Post
1282 through 1284 seems to me as a pivot zone. And look what happened, you got a bullish pin right from this zone. But not all is bad, the bar before the pin is very long and pin has a small nose, plus there is a traffic zone after the pin, I would not go long here after this pin, so it could work in your favor, but I have no experience in stocks. Good luck and keep us posted!
Just an interesting fact. Every pre election year for the last 100 years has been positive for the S&P and averaged returns of 20%. Maybe an idea for bias when trading. I don't know. I don't want to influence you that much.
brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:31pm   #46

Joined Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettus View Post
Just an interesting fact. Every pre election year for the last 100 years has been positive for the S&P and averaged returns of 20%. Maybe an idea for bias when trading. I don't know. I don't want to influence you that much.
Iíve read a fair bit about this recently and there was an article on another site which I read. I have attached their backtest data. It looks very positive, yet from looking back at the charts I can see that a lot of the gains were during very short periods during the years, so Iím going to do my own chart study as I think the figures donít show the whole picture.
Attached Thumbnails
19400_b.png  

Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:34pm   #47
Joined Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by isatrader View Post
Iíve read a fair bit about this recently and there was an article on another site which I read. I have attached their backtest data. It looks very positive, yet from looking back at the charts I can see that a lot of the gains were during very short periods during the years, so Iím going to do my own chart study as I think the figures donít show the whole picture.
Thanks for that. Looks like its not as good as i've heard. Interesting none the less. There's another interesting fact. I might delve into that later.
brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:34pm   #48

Joined Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingvin123 View Post
I was thinking that this chart looked a bit like the reverse of the Hecla Mining chart you analyzed the other day, and that a possible retest of the highs needed to happen before it could make a bigger reversal down?

Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:48pm   #49

Joined Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettus View Post
Thanks for that. Looks like its not as good as i've heard. Interesting none the less. There's another interesting fact. I might delve into that later.
Hereís the link to the article the backtest is from http://www.safehaven.com/article/194...idential-cycle

Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:04pm   #50

Joined Oct 2010
S&P 500 Presidential Year Charts

isatrader started this thread Attached is the S&P 500 charts of the 3rd Year in office of the President since 1975. I think these show it better than back test data.
Attached Thumbnails
picture-20.png   picture-19.png   picture-18.png  

picture-17.png   picture-16.png   picture-15.png  

picture-14.png   picture-12.png   picture-13.png  

Last edited by isatrader; Jan 18, 2011 at 1:43am.