Trading with a view to join a prop firm

This is a discussion on Trading with a view to join a prop firm within the Trading Firms forums, part of the Trading Career category; What sort of risk might be typical of an average prop firm? Ive been doing a lot of exploratory trading ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 5, 2017, 7:09pm   #31
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread What sort of risk might be typical of an average prop firm?
Ive been doing a lot of exploratory trading to date. Much less now but a lot for the first 4 months of my 6 month experience. It was intentional and I have accumulated knowledge from them,win or lose.

Im fine with elevated risk but I dont want to spook them. Ill abide by their set guidelines for risk
Nowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:03am   #32
 
DionysusToast's Avatar
Joined Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowler View Post
What sort of risk might be typical of an average prop firm?
Ive been doing a lot of exploratory trading to date. Much less now but a lot for the first 4 months of my 6 month experience. It was intentional and I have accumulated knowledge from them,win or lose.

Im fine with elevated risk but I dont want to spook them. Ill abide by their set guidelines for risk
Rought guidelines as every shop is different...

If you want to go from SIM to live in a prop firm - they will start you off with very small size. So, once you are live on 1-2 contracts...

They wont allow you to hold overnight positions.

If you go over $3-500 losses intraday, they'll stop you trading for the day.

Do that 3 times in a week and you are back to SIM.
__________________
The proof of the pudding is whether there is actually any pudding in the first place.
DionysusToast is offline Software vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:52pm   #33
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by DionysusToast View Post
Rought guidelines as every shop is different...

If you want to go from SIM to live in a prop firm - they will start you off with very small size. So, once you are live on 1-2 contracts...

They wont allow you to hold overnight positions.

If you go over $3-500 losses intraday, they'll stop you trading for the day.

Do that 3 times in a week and you are back to SIM.
Makes sense.
Thanks for the heads up.
Nowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:08pm   #34
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread I applied to Maverick Trading and almost immediately my spidey senses were tingling. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but I continued...what harm?
I was required to watch a 48 min video during the application process and I did attempt to do this immediately but I had to pop out. I had gotten to about minute 10 at this stage and by then I could sense something a little off. I actually had to skip a part of the video because they were wasting my time talking about their tinder profiles and driving while taking selfies... I know right...wtf has this got to do with trading. I was in a bad mood this morning, so maybe that's the only reason I got the hump over that but still...get on with it

In hindsight I probably should have just moved on there, haha.
When I got home I had an email from them saying that my application was received and that I was required to finish the video. Reasonable request. Throughout the whole process it was made abundantly clear that I had to pass a few week training/education period and prove that I possessed the ability to move to firm capital. Again, reasonable. They went into grand depth about how good their guidance was during this education period and beyond. I still felt something was off and I was waiting for it to pop up...and it did!

It wasn't until toward the end of the video that it shot up. Once I have passed their fantastic educational period (of a few weeks) I then develop my strategy/s and prove it. Once I prove a profitable strategy then I move to level one live capital of €25,000. But there's the catch...I have to deposit 5k and then they will add the 20k

Pwahaha... I immediately stopped the video (when I finished laughing) and emailed them back, stating that I saw their video and was no longer interested.

Maybe this is how it is...but they won't be getting my money or ability
I knew I smelled a rat!

If their education is so great at ensuring I am going to be a profitable trader, then why do I have to put up 5k of my own money?
Nowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:16pm   #35
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread I just found this now
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Em...RVW7178589.htm


PS: I realise that it would be smart to do a check up on these places first. I just didnt this time

Last edited by Nowler; Nov 6, 2017 at 7:23pm.
Nowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:41am   #36
 
DionysusToast's Avatar
Joined Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowler View Post
I applied to Maverick Trading and almost immediately my spidey senses were tingling. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but I continued...what harm?
I was required to watch a 48 min video during the application process and I did attempt to do this immediately but I had to pop out. I had gotten to about minute 10 at this stage and by then I could sense something a little off. I actually had to skip a part of the video because they were wasting my time talking about their tinder profiles and driving while taking selfies... I know right...wtf has this got to do with trading. I was in a bad mood this morning, so maybe that's the only reason I got the hump over that but still...get on with it

In hindsight I probably should have just moved on there, haha.
When I got home I had an email from them saying that my application was received and that I was required to finish the video. Reasonable request. Throughout the whole process it was made abundantly clear that I had to pass a few week training/education period and prove that I possessed the ability to move to firm capital. Again, reasonable. They went into grand depth about how good their guidance was during this education period and beyond. I still felt something was off and I was waiting for it to pop up...and it did!

It wasn't until toward the end of the video that it shot up. Once I have passed their fantastic educational period (of a few weeks) I then develop my strategy/s and prove it. Once I prove a profitable strategy then I move to level one live capital of €25,000. But there's the catch...I have to deposit 5k and then they will add the 20k

Pwahaha... I immediately stopped the video (when I finished laughing) and emailed them back, stating that I saw their video and was no longer interested.

Maybe this is how it is...but they won't be getting my money or ability
I knew I smelled a rat!

If their education is so great at ensuring I am going to be a profitable trader, then why do I have to put up 5k of my own money?
That's not a prop firm.
__________________
The proof of the pudding is whether there is actually any pudding in the first place.
DionysusToast is offline Software vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:48pm   #37
 
Quantt's Avatar
Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by DionysusToast View Post
That's not a prop firm.
Looks like a complete scam...
__________________
"If you don't find a way to make money while you sleep, you will work until you die." Warren Buffett, CEO of Berkshire Hathaway.

Count de Money number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:14pm   #38
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
Looks like a complete scam...
Sounds and smells like it too.

I was warned about this sort of stuff though, and I can usually smell BS a mile off! ...usually...

All my Irish eggs are in the basket of the legit looking firm I applied to. I won't be applying to any more Irish firms. I am doing some homework on the lads at this legit looking firm. I know who the 3 owners are, I know that they took over Saxon and then rebranded and moved away from Saxons failed attempt at going full algo. I know I know the educational history of one of them, I know a non-work related passion for another one of them...just need to look a bit deeper into the last 2 guys so I can tailor my interview. I know roughly how much the firm made since '08 and prior to this year. I have an idea of where they want to be in 5-10 years after reading some interviews with them. Thankfully my attitude and work ethic fit perfectly with what I am perceiving from them.

It's been said that we should be doing our homework on our markets, gathering as much info as possible in order to make the best informed decision. I am treating this potential interview like a trade. I want to be as informed about them as possible and then I'll execute the "trade" to the best of my ability.
Nowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:29pm   #39
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread Saw a Tweet earlier from this prop firm i've applied to, stating that interviews have commenced and that C.V's can still be submitted. About an hour later I got a phone call from an American number...I thought it might be one of the main fellas (he's a yank)...it was some clown from Ninja Trader asking if I was OK with the setup of the Futures demo I downloaded yesterday... You could almost hear me deflating haha

The suspense is killing me...which today I realised is something that I should be OK with considering I am attempting to be a trader. Me sitting around wondering when/if I am going to get this call from them reminds me of my first 2 months of trading. Watching each twitch on a trade

I am going to put the wheels in motion for my move to the UK. I am not going to wait around on this crowd. If they contact me in time then good but if not, their loss (and mine too unfortunately). I probably won't actually leave until January but I need to find an area to move to. I snagged a few hours in a bar tonight. Once I get a few more shifts under my belt then that's something I can do in the beginning when I move.
Nowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:17pm   #40
FXX
Joined Oct 2017
Hey Nowler
What are you looking to get out of this?
FXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:48am   #41
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXX View Post
Hey Nowler
What are you looking to get out of this?
Out of working for this prop?

The benefits of me getting on that trainee program with them are almost endless.

- Id be trained by professionals who have an invested interest in me succeeding
- They are willing to pay me each month to be a trainee (very little money, but it would cover rent/food)
- There is likely a job with them at the end. If not, i'd be far more attractive to other employers because of it.
- It would get me out of this soul destroying place and would certainly get my life back on track (socially, gym, sense of productiveness)...

There's loads!
- It would open to door for me to earn €30-50k/year towards the beginning and then give me the opportunity and experience to become a "senior trader", which brings more money.
- I could pay off my whole families debt
- I could pay for medical procedures for my mom and her partner.
- I'd be able to put a nice bit of money away into an account for family use
- I could start a college education fund for my nephew and now the new niece/nephew on the way(still 7 more months to go)

All of this opens the door for me to accumulate far more money than I have now. This will allow me to be a far more efficient philanthropist. I'd like to go back out to Sri Lanka where I went last year as a mental health volunteer and I could use my financial wealth to help build things like schools and whatnot...

I don't need to be a millionaire to achieve most of these...though it would help

I could work at a prop firm for 5-10 years and then trade my own large account.
Nowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Lee Shepherd
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:59am   #42
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread Oh!
And my hip!

I can't have many more years left on this as it is. I got it done 12 years ago, so... surely that'll have to be redone this side of 2025 which the last time I checked will cost me €15k minimum!

So getting into a prop firm would help me pay for that too
I guess I could get back on the road again too! Been ages since I drove! Since I started uni in '13

I miss my car
When stuff got too negative and difficult here I could just go for a drive. Now I have to deal with it continuously.

Look at the bright side... I'm trying to use it as motivation

I need a root canal for the last 4 weeks but didnt have the money to pay for it. I told him to just pull it out but he said that he wouldnt recommend it. Lol, I immediately changed my mind and said OK
I will have to get a loan for that during the week, so getting into a prop firm would pay off my own debt too!
Nowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:42am   #43
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowler View Post
I am going to put the wheels in motion for my move to the UK. I am not going to wait around on this crowd....
Cool.. but will you be saying goodbye to steak and BJs ?
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:01pm   #44
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
Cool.. but will you be saying goodbye to steak and BJs ?

Ah no. That doesn't rest on getting into this firm. It would have been nice to get into this one as they sound quite compatible with me but I was determined to become a full time profitable trader before I applied to them. Nothing has changed and I will still be aiming to be a full time trader if I don't get in with them.
Nowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Kaeso
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:26pm   #45
Joined Sep 2017
Nowler started this thread Just an update on the application. Unfortunately I wasn't successful.
Disappointing, but considering I am only 6 month trading and this was the only place I applied for, it's not a shock

I guess I continue with my original plan... move to the UK in the new year.
I have found a few hours work here and there in the local bar, so I will gather up what experience I can there and then I should be OK for a job in the early days of the move, until I find better work.

Just like any of our losing trades, we dust ourselves off and go again. Thanks for all the help and the support folks!
Nowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
YESFX Prop Trading firm Nikos70 Trading Firms 0 Jun 8, 2015 11:47am
Trading From Home To A Prop Firm? Pipsaholic Home Trader 19 Nov 23, 2011 10:38am
prop trading firm smt2000 Forex Brokers 1 Mar 14, 2011 7:08pm
Want to join a Prop firm Mr Flibble General Trading Chat 20 Aug 17, 2010 10:37pm
what can i expect trading fx for a prop firm richard7173 Trading Firms 5 Nov 9, 2009 2:43pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)