The Arcade Traders "Pit Stories" Thread

This is a discussion on The Arcade Traders "Pit Stories" Thread within the Trading Firms forums, part of the Trading Career category; Originally Posted by Arbitrageur was it common for floor traders to be invited to such highbrow society events? Common floor ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:46pm   #17

Joined Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitrageur
was it common for floor traders to be invited to such highbrow society events?
Common floor traders are not invited to such highbrow events as you put it, but however, the individuals so invited would be expected at least to observe the bare minimum sartorial standard and not succeed in portraying themselves as yokels to the embarrassment of their fellow diners and the consternation of the nation. It is plain to see if you look at it reported on TV. So you don't have to be present yourself there to observe it and take note of it, as it is plain for all to see. Whether it is understood or not is another matter altogether.
SOCRATES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 2:09pm   #18

Joined Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCRATES
And does anyone remember when ladies were first admitted on the floor of the London Stock Exchange . . .
That's before my time but, many years ago in the late 80's I did work alongside Susan Shaw who was the first female stockbroker (and a very nice lady she was too).
A Dashing Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 2:42pm   #19

Joined Feb 2005
Directional started this thread I liked this story from the IPE floor, when greenpeace tried to stop oil futures trading:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...487741,00.html

would be great to hear from anyone who was actually in there thumping the hippies!
Directional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 3:17pm   #20

Joined Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitrageur
I liked this story from the IPE floor, when greenpeace tried to stop oil futures trading:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...487741,00.html

would be great to hear from anyone who was actually in there thumping the hippies!

Not quite in that league, but I once had the pleasure of removing a bunch of 'SHAC' (Stop Huntingon Animal Cruelty) protestors from the premises of a broker I was working at. There was a bit if a stand off for a while with about a dozen protestors pushing on one side of a glass door, and a similar numbers of dealers on the other ... I happened to be in the lobby so was on the same side as the protestors, watching on with mild amusement until the door shattered. One of our guys got a slight cut, so we considered them fair game after that - security cameras prevented too much aggression ... but I had to knock open that heavy wooden fire door with something!
turtle trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Directional
Old Sep 21, 2005, 4:53pm   #21

Joined Feb 2005
Directional started this thread i personally think the IPE traders were well within their rights to kick hippie ass... they were only responding to a direct attack on their livelihood. Whatever Greenpeace say, they werent there to "discuss their point of view" - they were threatening the personal financial situation and livelihood of every trader on the floor. I am all for taking steps to control climate change, but those tactics are not the way to acheive meaningful dialogue.

I also think the tactics employed by SHAC and other activist groups against legitimate businesses are nothing less than terrorism by a different name.

thoughts for a different thread anyhow, this thread is for laughs.
Thanks! The following members like this post: lurkerlurker
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:37pm   #22
Joined Sep 2005
talking of the stock exchange, who remembers sweaty betty being taken to one side by percy the door man (always utterly well dressed) advising her the committee felt it time they advised her to wear a bra????

and then the liffe market, that animal who worked for alpha who was piad off to stay away from the floor the day the queen came to visit...oh yes he was that bad........

fraggle, anyone remember him, and his 1000 lot bund order he chucked in the pit one morning at 7.01 having just come from his private drinking members club where he'd been all night.......

or the gamma bros..you never knew what was paper or what was their jobbing account...
Pitscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:42pm   #23

Joined Feb 2005
Directional started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitscum
or the gamma bros..
surely not GammaJammer?
Old Sep 21, 2005, 11:26pm   #24
Joined Sep 2005
there you go gamma, ye walketh in their shadow....
Pitscum is offline   Reply With Quote