The Problem with Technical Analysis

This is a discussion on The Problem with Technical Analysis within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by wisefoolx No apology needed but you might think about not deliberately misleading people. I doubt if you ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:44pm   #33
Joined Nov 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisefoolx View Post
No apology needed but you might think about not deliberately misleading people. I doubt if you even read the article properly before jumping to your own conclusions regardless of what it said:

Very simple really, we as traders are trying to forecast where future prices might be.

Where is the word predict in this ? I said " Forecast" and that is not the same and has a particular meaning in maths.

The first line reads originally in bold no less:

The problem with TA is simple, it's in its calculation, which is hardly ever objective and almost always subjective

The subject in the " thesis " as you called it, is very very clear, NO PREDICTION there. How did you missread that ? Either you must have bad eyes or you are deliberately cognitively dissonant.

So the rest of your rant is irrelevant, and I think you will need more luck then I; one for predicting prices on charts without axis no less and two for taking things so personally without justification.
A moving average is objective. You decide what it's based on, you can base it on the close of a particular timeframe, the high the low, whatever you want. It's just an average. It's an example of TA. I think there are a lot of TA indicators that are objective. That doesn't necessarily make them better forecasters
seekingTruth16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:25pm   #34

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
No apology needed but you might think about not deliberately misleading people. I doubt if you even read the article properly before jumping to your own conclusions regardless of what it said:

Very simple really, we as traders are trying to forecast where future prices might be.

Where is the word predict in this ? I said " Forecast" and that is not the same and has a particular meaning in maths.
Forecast or predict, it's immaterial. Some/many traders try to forecast/predict the course of future prices but that's not the function of technical analysis, regardless of the contents of any article.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:00pm   #35

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
Sounds like you need to pick a good maths textbook.
Why? Technical analysis isn't about math. Which is why small children are so much better at it than adults.

But, as I said, best of luck to you.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:01pm   #36
Joined Aug 2017
wisefoolx started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekingTruth16 View Post
A moving average is objective. You decide what it's based on, you can base it on the close of a particular timeframe, the high the low, whatever you want. It's just an average. It's an example of TA. I think there are a lot of TA indicators that are objective. That doesn't necessarily make them better forecasters
I already covered this :

" The problem with TA is simple, it's in its calculation, which is hardly ever objective and almost always subjective. "

You two need glasses or something ?

Anyway, true that MA and a few other indicators are objective but in my view the calculations are to simple to be of use, too slow.

I'll will be covering these soon, so do keep an eye out for it .
wisefoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:04pm   #37
Joined Nov 2016
Quote:
I already covered this :

" The problem with TA is simple, it's in its calculation, which is hardly ever objective and almost always subjective. "

You two need glasses or something ?

Anyway, true that MA and a few other indicators are objective but in my view the calculations are to simple to be of use, too slow.

I'll will be covering these soon, so do keep an eye out for it .
Sometimes when you're lost and failing and don't really understand, you hit out aggressively at people that are offering you help. You might not realise it's help, because you don't want to listen.

It's almost never necessary to be rude or aggressive and insulting to others. It usually indicates something else.

I hope it works out well for you.

Last edited by seekingTruth16; Sep 6, 2017 at 11:10pm.
seekingTruth16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: IceMan
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:09am   #38
Joined Aug 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekingTruth16 View Post
Sometimes when you're lost and failing and don't really understand, you hit out aggressively at people that are offering you help. You might not realise it's help, because you don't want to listen.

It's almost never necessary to be rude or aggressive and insulting to others. It usually indicates something else.

I hope it works out well for you.
And sometimes self entitled people use the false excuse of taking things personally when they have suffered imagined sleights.

With an attitude like that I wish you good luck, you might need it ....
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:15am   #39
Joined Aug 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphoenix View Post
Why? Technical analysis isn't about math. Which is why small children are so much better at it than adults.

But, as I said, best of luck to you.

Again, you misread and misunderstand. You mean why not ! Who's refering to Technical analysis ? you are, not me.

I'm saying for the umpteenth time, price forecast is about futures prices which is a number and that is based on time, another number.

So give me one good reason why numerical forecast should not be based on numerical analysis (maths ).

At this rate a child would be better than you at maths, I think you are the one that needs the luck.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:00am   #40

Joined Aug 2003
Quote:
Who's refering to Technical analysis ? you are, not me.
Perhaps you should not have included Technical Analysis in the title of your thread. Then I wouldn't have posted here at all.