Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis

This is a discussion on Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis within the Technical Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; for anyone who is interested ProRealTime free charts (daily and above) have the mansfield relative strength indicator built in...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 26, 2011, 8:23pm   #49
Joined Mar 2010
Re: Stan Weinstein's Stage Analysis

for anyone who is interested ProRealTime free charts (daily and above) have the mansfield relative strength indicator built in
jesteruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:30pm   #50

Joined Oct 2010

isatrader started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesteruk View Post
for anyone who is interested ProRealTime free charts (daily and above) have the mansfield relative strength indicator built in
Thanks jesteruk, I didn't know that. I've also had a search around the web and found a page that explains the calculation of it so people can program it into their own charting software. Here's the link:

ChartMill.Com | Articles on Technical Analysis Indicators and Screeners

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.
isatrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 9:43pm   #51
Joined Apr 2003

interesting thread.
which stage would you put the ftse and SRP(serco) in at the moment?
could you give a few examples of recent trades either closed or still in?
hopefully il be able to contribute something as this method is interesting me..
theblackmamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:10pm   #52

Joined Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackmamba View Post
interesting thread.
which stage would you put the ftse and SRP(serco) in at the moment?
hopefully il be able to contribute something as this method is interesting me..
Hi @theblackmamba, thanks for the reply. I'd say the FTSE 100 is currently still in Stage 4 - the declining stage. I did a number of examples earlier in the thread of each stage to compare with, so I could learn to identify the stages and give others a reference also. Here's the link to the stage 4 examples:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/tech...ml#post1701114

I've marked up the monthly, weekly and daily charts of SRP. Using the method I'd say it's in a Stage 4 continuation phase on the weekly chart - so the declining phase. However the monthly chart shows a large amount of support in the range it's approaching, but it's is quite old support, so it may not be as valid as if it was within the last few years.

The trendline on the monthly chart is currently being tested so a significant break of it would be quite negative and could cause a drop towards 350. But it easily rebound here if the markets turn around as that's a major trendline.

Quote:
could you give a few examples of recent trades either closed or still in?
A couple of my current trades are:

01/11/11 - RR.L long @ 678.85
24/11/11 - Silver short @ 32.009
25/11/11 - STI short @ 16.729
25/11/11 - RAI long @ 40.06

Attached are the charts of SRP.L
Attached Thumbnails
srp_monthly_25_11_11.png   srp_daily_25_11_11.png  

Fate does not always let you fix the tuition fee. She delivers the educational wallop and presents her own bill – Reminiscences of a Stock Operator.

Last edited by isatrader; Nov 27, 2011 at 11:32pm.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:04am   #53
Joined Apr 2003

hi thanks very much
i see you do the daily and weekly. doyou treat them both differently? ie if say serco looks good on weekly you wll short it, and if looks a weinstein on daily you open a seperate short?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:17am   #54
Joined Apr 2003

ps. just seen the ones you in. thanks for posting.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:43am   #55
Joined Apr 2003

aml looks like a potential stage 2 on daily chart, but on weekly still at best begining stage1.
Attached Thumbnails
aml.png  
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:04am   #56

Joined Oct 2010

Quote:
hi thanks very much
i see you do the daily and weekly. doyou treat them both differently? ie if say serco looks good on weekly you wll short it, and if looks a weinstein on daily you open a seperate short?
I look at all the time frames in the same way, but give more weight to the higher time frame. The method in the book is based on the weekly time frame, so when you look at what stage it's in, that should be your first chart.

Quote:
aml looks like a potential stage 2 on daily chart, but on weekly still at best beginning stage1.
On the daily chart, I'd say it's Stage 1,and would move into Stage 1B if it breaks above the recent high at 322.10, as it then has to break resistance above resistance above 354.50. That would then be a move move into Stage 2A on the daily. However, the weekly Stages are the most important and currently AML.L is still in Stage 4 - see the downward moving average. So any trades should still be either short or nothing as it's still in the declining stage. Also don't forget volume when you are looking as a decent increase on the breakout is crucial.

You also shouldn't look at the chart in isolation. First you need to see what the major trend of the market overall is?
Then look at how the sector group is performing - I've attached the chart for non life insurance.
Compare relative performance of AML.L versus the general market and also versus the sector. Is it outperforming?
Compare the sector versus the market as well.

If all looks good then you buy half your position on the breakout to stage 2.
If volume looks promising on the breakout (2x the 4 week average) and then contracts on the pullback towards the initial breakout level, then buy the remaining half of the position.
If volume doesn't increase enough on the breakout then sell on the first rally. If it doesn't manage to rally and falls back below the breakout point then dump it immediately.

Edit: Attached is the charts including the relative performance vs the S&P 500 and versus the Non life insurance sector. You can also see the sectors performance versus the S&P 500 on the sector chart, which is under performing.

Edit 2: An additional thing I like to look at is the 200 day correlation with the S&P 500 as this tells you how much of the daily movement is influenced by the general market. AML.L has a current correlation of 0.86. So 86% of the daily movement is caused by the general market.
Attached Thumbnails
aml_weekly_25_11_11.png   aml_rs_weekly_25_11_11.png   nonlifeinsu_weekly_25_11_11.png  

Last edited by isatrader; Nov 28, 2011 at 11:41am.