T2W - Security and Virus Information

This is a discussion on T2W - Security and Virus Information within the Techies Corner forums, part of the Trading Career category; A new version of Ad-Aware has been released. Described here on PC Pitstop http://pcpitstop.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=61244...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 10, 2004, 12:59pm   #41

Joined Feb 2003
Thumbs up Ad Aware SE NEW

A new version of Ad-Aware has been released. Described here on PC Pitstop
http://pcpitstop.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=61244
Old Aug 10, 2004, 8:18pm   #42
Joined Jan 2004
Thanks Oatman. I've binned AVG although, I must say, it always seems to have worked ok for me.

No infections when I ran the newly installed 'Avast'

LII
LevII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 8:51pm   #43

Joined Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevII
Thanks Oatman. I've binned AVG although, I must say, it always seems to have worked ok for me.

No infections when I ran the newly installed 'Avast'

LII
Yeah I'm still with AVG at the moment, I think the combination of it and ZoneAlarm probably means a lot of infections can't happen as dodgy attachments are stripped out by the firewall. Also using an email client which is not Outlook probably helps a lot too.

I've seen mixed reviews of AVG, I think some of the things found by other virus tools are more spyware than virus perhaps.

Stew
theknifemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 9:01pm   #44
Joined Mar 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossored
Afraid I dont know if its been resolved. I do know thay my old copy of ZA wouldnt update though - I had to remove it, and manually re-install the new version. I still think its the best, though.
It seems that this new version of ZA has solved that conflict with NAV. I'm sure Oatman is right that the previous ZA had an Anti-virus element. During this install you are asked if you are using AV and I guess this gets around any conflict.

I also run Adaware and have just updated to SE with no problems. It does seem to pick up more rubbish than the older version.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 9:22pm   #45
Joined Dec 2002
rossored started this thread For all security conscious amongst us, Microsoft have just announced the imminent release of SP2.

Taken from CNET Downloads :

The world of Windows news watchers has been abuzz over the upcoming release of Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. Microsoft is making the release available to Microsoft Developer Network members today, August 10, and will push it out to Windows users via the Automatic Update feature on August 25.

Microsoft's mission with Service Pack 2 is to increase overall security in Windows XP and head off any more negative publicity caused by security exploits. Service Pack 2 will turn on XP's internal firewall by default. (I will be turning it right back off because I use ZoneAlarm for my firewall.) Both Outlook and Outlook Express will keep any e-mail attachments in a sandbox where they can't automatically interact with the system. This should prevent many worms and viruses.

The most visible changes will be in Internet Explorer, with the introduction of a pop-up blocker. I've been waiting for this feature for quite a while and can't wait to put it through its paces. Microsoft also is improving IE's add-on management, which should let you see and remove any spyware installed as a browser helper object. Many of these changes are long overdue, but very welcome nonetheless.

For advertising issues ONLY please email advertising (at) trade2win.com
rossored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2004, 9:33pm   #46

Joined Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossored
For all security conscious amongst us, Microsoft have just announced the imminent release of SP2.
Fred Langa on the Langalist pointed out that there is a new version of WindowsUpdate which I guess will be included in SP2. There are express and custom options for installing updates, but by default automatic updates are turned on. This behaviour is different from the behaviour of the current version.

http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-07-15.htm#1

http://www.informationweek.com/story...cleID=22104207

Stew
theknifemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 2:26pm   #47

Joined Feb 2003
Thumbs up WinPatrol 8.0

http://www.winpatrol.com/
Exit the old version when installing the new one
Old Sep 15, 2004, 2:54pm   #48
Joined Jun 2004
thx oatman
aarie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 6:06pm   #49
Joined Dec 2002
rossored started this thread Thought so.

Stumbled across this today :

http://www.driverheaven.net/dforce/s...?doc=txp_about

Does it do what is says on the tin? anyone know? Its freeware so I'm going to give it a go.

Watch this space...

For advertising issues ONLY please email advertising (at) trade2win.com
rossored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 6:10pm   #50

Joined Feb 2003
It doesn't tell you a lot. I'll try it as well