Technical Problem - help / ideas urgently wanted

This is a discussion on Technical Problem - help / ideas urgently wanted within the Techies Corner forums, part of the Trading Career category; I am receiving live data from IQ Feed and viewing it through QuoteTracker. Unfortunately the data is not updating in ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 13, 2007, 5:27pm   #1
Joined Jul 2006
Technical Problem - help / ideas urgently wanted

I am receiving live data from IQ Feed and viewing it through QuoteTracker.

Unfortunately the data is not updating in QuoteTracker and my charts are not therefore working.

I think I have established that there is no problem with QT or IQFeed so the problem presumably lies within my own system / home network.

Could this be something to do with my internet connection, firewall, viruses etc etc...

Any ideas or suggestions warmly welcomed because right now I cannot trade.
yacarob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 6:27pm   #2

Joined May 2003
Is this a new problem, by which I mean was everything working ok, and now it isn't, or have you just started using IQfeed, or QT or both?
Old Feb 13, 2007, 6:32pm   #3
Joined Jul 2006
yacarob1 started this thread No, I have been using them both for quite a long time and this problem just started last Thursday.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 6:58pm   #4

Joined May 2003
I presume from your first post.....
Quote:
I think I have established that there is no problem with QT or IQFeed
.....that this means IQFeed is not experiencing any probs, QT on the other hand, may have problems you are unaware of, a recent update may have caused a problem, such as corrupted a file. does QT connect to the server ok, what sort of bandwidth does it say it is using?

As a late stage solution you may want to copy and save somewhere any profile, and setting folders the program has (I am not too familiar with this program) and try an uninstall / re-install.
But ahead of that when I did look at it I came across this forum, where you might ask, you're prolly ware of it but just in case
http://www.forum.qtusers.com/
Quote:
Could this be something to do with my internet connection, firewall, viruses etc etc...
All of these things could have an effect, but in relation to internet conection and firewall something would have to have changed recently since you were using it all together b4
It is possible that a virus or spyware could wreak all sorts of havoc, should run scans of your system perhaps as a starting point.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 7:42pm   #5
Joined Jul 2006
yacarob1 started this thread 1. I have talked to other users of the IQFeed / QT Combo and they are not experiencing problems. Hence my conclusion that the problem lies with me.

2. I have 5 computers networked in my house. My son is the resident " network expert" and he may well have changed things. Dunno exactly but I will be talking with him later.

3. The bandwidth number on the QT page keeps changing. Sometimes it is 5224 or 35.6k or even zero. Not sure what this means.

4. Wasn't aware of that forum at all but I'll take a look at it.

Thanks for your time.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 8:10pm   #6

Joined Apr 2005
Have you tried switching off all the PC's except yours and if so does it make a difference?

Are there any Peer-2-Peer applications running on any PC's downloading/uploading files which could be hogging bandwidth?
Slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 8:41pm   #7
Joined Jul 2006
yacarob1 started this thread My son just told me has downloaded Lime Wire over the past few days.

He is now deleting it so we will see if that was the problem.

Later...... it wasn't the problem.

Last edited by yacarob1; Feb 13, 2007 at 10:33pm.
Old Feb 13, 2007, 11:02pm   #8

Joined May 2003
Quote:
The bandwidth number on the QT page keeps changing. Sometimes it is 5224 or 35.6k or even zero. Not sure what this means.
As I said earlier I am not fully familiar with this program's habits, though I did play around with it a few months back so I have a basic awareness of it. I'd be surprised that the bandwidth indicator would drop to zero during the trading day, that would suggest that there is some interuption to the connection.
I have it on my old laptop, so I will try and play around with it over the next couple of days and see if I can come up with anything. If you resolve thissue in the meantime please let me know