Email alert if PC disconnects from ADSL

This is a discussion on Email alert if PC disconnects from ADSL within the Techies Corner forums, part of the Trading Career category; Hi, I'm looking to set up an email alert if my ADSL connection drops, it immediately sends me an email... ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:18am   #1

8 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Email alert if PC disconnects from ADSL

Hi, I'm looking to set up an email alert if my ADSL connection drops, it immediately sends me an email... does anyone know of a service that can handle this?
Many thanks
Joe
J123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:31am   #2

Joined Jul 2008
get another adsl
forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:37am   #3

8 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Re: Email alert if PC disconnects from ADSL

J123 started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by forker View Post
get another adsl
Yes, planning to do that too. If the primary ADSL drops, do you know how to get it to immediately switch to the backup ADSL? I prefer to use leads than wireless, is there software that can handle this or does it need a special router?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:32am   #4

8 Posts
Joined Oct 2007

J123 started this thread Did some research... it looks like the DrayTek router can handle this with the Broadband Failover technology. OK so I'm being ultra paranoid, but I still want an email alert if my ADSL connections drop... I'm running API autotrading and can't afford a broken connection. Does anyone know a service that can do this?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:49pm   #5
Joined Sep 2009

get a VPS nearest to your exchange, will be cheaper than another DSL and will have a better SLA.
gktk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:58pm   #6

Joined Jul 2008
those are good routers.. not for the folks that dont know too much about networking though. it somewhat bridges professional equipment with retail
forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:16pm   #7
Joined Mar 2011

Hi All, as an IT guy I wouldn't recommend buying comlex router configs. Cloud based is the way to go and prices are coming down. Get yourself a VPS and let the IT guys worry about it being up and running under an SLA.

If you insist on doing somethng at home then yes, you could do a NIC teaming on a server or do some complex router config that will take you weeks to work out, or you could stick to the basics and solve what you originally asked. There are plenty of uptime monitors online which will ping your service and drop an email if not there for x attempts but you will need to ensure you have a fixed IP which typically costs money in the UK.

VPS is very much the way to go for retail traders.... You want to spend your time Trading not becoming an IT professional...
Steve.Newton is offline   Reply With Quote