'Featured Discussions' - Do You Use It?

This is a discussion on 'Featured Discussions' - Do You Use It? within the T2W Feedback & Announcements forums, part of the Off the Grid category; On the left hand side of the T2W Homepage there is a box headed 'Forums' that contains 'Featured discussions'. Hopefully, ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:44am   #1
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
'Featured Discussions' - Do You Use It?

On the left hand side of the T2W Homepage there is a box headed 'Forums' that contains 'Featured discussions'. Hopefully, you've noticed it! I rarely use it myself and tend to click on the 'View Threads' link beneath my username in the blue panel on the right hand side of the page. I suspect many of you do the same - but why? In theory, the 'Featured Discussions' panel is a good way to access the 'hot' topical threads of the minute. However, if members don't want it, like it or need it, then there's a strong argument for removing it altogether and replacing it with something that everyone would like and find useful.

So the feedback we want - pretty please - are suggestions as to what could and should be done to make the 'Featured Discussions' panel more interesting, relevant and useful to members and guests alike when they first log on to the T2W Homepage.
Thanks for your feedback,
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:52am   #2

Joined Oct 2008
i just use view new posts..

Bullsh!t, Bearsh!t all smells the same to me!

"It is not cheap to develop automated systems , mine already cost over $1m. " oildaytrader
N Rothschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tenbobtrader
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:53am   #3
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
timsk started this thread To get the ball rolling, here are a few ideas to ponder on. . .
- How about 'Featured Discussions' nominated by individual members? How would we decide which members are invited to choose their favourite threads?
- Featured threads based on star rating only? Or some system where by members vote for the threads they want to see featured?
- Threads with the most views and/or replies?
- Editor's choice?
- Other . . . ?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:04pm   #4
Joined Sep 2004
imho buck should stop with the management and the content editorial team fwiw. Two reasons;

1) This is a prime spot on the front page and as such the casual browser will likely assume that the choice of content is approved / sponsored by the T2W team, whether this is the case or not.

2) Most people are muppets and many highly rated / active threads are muppetty troll-fests. Quality in any 'feature' area should aim to be higher than that

Suggestions box is an ok idea though imho.

grumpy GJ
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:16pm   #5
Joined Jun 2009
great threads remain active poor threads die

Supply & Demand

Last edited by tenbobtrader; Oct 6, 2009 at 12:36pm. Reason: seems to work ok
tenbobtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:23pm   #6

Joined Mar 2002
timsk started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaJammer View Post
2) Most people are muppets and many highly rated / active threads are muppetty troll-fests. Quality in any 'feature' area should aim to be higher than that.
Cheers GJ,
I take your point, but perhaps we should just accept the fact that many people come here these days as much for a laugh as they do to discuss trading in a serious and meaningful way? The Featured Discussions could be divided up into sections:
Mega Hard Core Trading Debate
Light Hearted Trading Banter
Non Trading Tomfoolery
That way, members would have a reasonable idea of what to expect?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:26pm   #7
Joined May 2008
I think its the other way around personally. All my threads are dead.
Technically Fundamental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:27pm   #8

Joined Oct 2005
Tim, I do read the featured thread, not every one, but often. Perhaps a poll would help gauge readers response, although of the 180K members, only a few will respond.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:39pm   #9

Joined Oct 2007
Tim, i don't really go to the home page as the only thing on there of any real interest(well maybe now they're improving) is the articles, I normally go straight to the forum/new posts.

To be honest i wouldn't go to read most of the featured threads anyway:

This week in Barrons...chances are if i was interested i'd go to their site anyway

New oil ETF starts trading........possibly a narrow audience there.

and none of them features in the first two pages of the "new threads" so hardly the ones catching the attention.

What's the criteria for them featuring in this list?

not a dig, just observations.

No need for a course http://www.trade2win.com/boards/gene...tml#post707344

Simple cable system http://simpledibs.blogspot.com/ http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trad...side-bars.html

Last edited by foredog; Oct 6, 2009 at 12:40pm. Reason: spelling, typed like had boxing gloves on
foredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:56pm   #10
Global Moderators are volunteer members with senior administrative powers to moderate all forums.

Joined Aug 2004
Tim
The hottest thread in the last 7 days was "Epic" and it's been closed for 2 days !

Those are my principles and if you don't like them, well..... I have others.

Kin Dissers Everywhere

We are all leavers now
counter_violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Technically Fundamental , zupcon , gedward3
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:59pm   #11
Joined Sep 2004
Bring back Kar Key Boi
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:33pm   #12
Joined Feb 2007
I want to see an early morning t2w indicator for one market only. One thread dedicated to the most popular market, no other markets can be discussed. Let's say it was the Cable. People can vote for up or down, like a heat map type of thing, but also discuss prices about that particular market. Maybe some of the t2w big-timers can join in...trading is easy u c. The reason why i ask for this is because i am lazy and can't be ars*d doing any 'work'. Put it to vote, and let's see if this God forsaken hell hole of chat forum can do something as a team for once in it's rotten history.

Madder than tramps shoes...but it may work.
Paul71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Technically Fundamental
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:41pm   #13

Joined Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by counter_violent View Post
Tim
The hottest thread in the last 7 days was "Epic" and it's been closed for 2 days !
Someone told me there's a new one starting on another elite trading site...

Ironically in this case I wasn't expecting it, someone just came into the chat room in my signature and announced it. Damn inconvenient actually
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:59pm   #14
Joined Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
On the left hand side of the T2W Homepage there is a box headed 'Forums' that contains 'Featured discussions'. Hopefully, you've noticed it! I rarely use it myself and tend to click on the 'View Threads' link beneath my username in the blue panel on the right hand side of the page. I suspect many of you do the same - but why? In theory, the 'Featured Discussions' panel is a good way to access the 'hot' topical threads of the minute. However, if members don't want it, like it or need it, then there's a strong argument for removing it altogether and replacing it with something that everyone would like and find useful.

So the feedback we want - pretty please - are suggestions as to what could and should be done to make the 'Featured Discussions' panel more interesting, relevant and useful to members and guests alike when they first log on to the T2W Homepage.
Thanks for your feedback,
Tim.

Tim,

Bring back the old Dow comp or something similar, it was a system in itself...if you followed the right people...

...over to ET to see what Arabian is on about.
Paul71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 2:02pm   #15

Joined Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul71 View Post
...over to ET to see what Arabian is on about.
Before you then go to citybulls to moan about it?

Does it not worry you that they're advertising it on that forum?

Judas
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote