How many times do you trade in a month!

This is a discussion on How many times do you trade in a month! within the Swing & Position Trading forums, part of the Methods category; How many times do you guys trade within a month as a swing trader. I just converted into swing trading ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:08pm   #1

1 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
How many times do you trade in a month!

How many times do you guys trade within a month as a swing trader. I just converted into swing trading , I realized that swing trading takes a lot of paitience and it helps out with the psychological aspect. Went from trading about 200 positions in a month to like 40 in a month. I feel that 40 is still a little to much my losses does outweigh my wins atm. But I do see really greatest setups from time to time.
Also how much screen time do you guys spend on the charts each day checking for setups?
I'm not used to waiting out candles this long.
Tfadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:46pm   #2
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfadee View Post
How many times do you guys trade within a month as a swing trader. I just converted into swing trading , I realized that swing trading takes a lot of paitience and it helps out with the psychological aspect. Went from trading about 200 positions in a month to like 40 in a month. I feel that 40 is still a little to much my losses does outweigh my wins atm. But I do see really greatest setups from time to time.
Also how much screen time do you guys spend on the charts each day checking for setups?
its a work in progress but somewhere between 10 and 20 average

i have about 10 instruments on watch at the moment and it could just take 5 to 10 mins to flick through them for potentials but setting orders, setting stops/limits or trailing stops, setting alerts, manual exits, etc etc makes it take longer

I might do this about twice a day - am and pm. I have a full-time job.

how long do you spend on screen?

Last edited by Kaeso; Oct 13, 2017 at 9:54pm.
Kaeso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:10pm   #3

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfadee View Post
About 1 trade every other day on average and I don't look at charts daily anymore when trading, everything is programmed into a system... Once a week I'll double check the logs to make sure everything is working properly...

My number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:19pm   #4
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
About 1 trade every other day on average and I don't look at charts daily anymore when trading, everything is programmed into a system... Once a week I'll double check the logs to make sure everything is working properly...
im starting to think the OP is a one-post wonder

im trying to introduce more "mechanics" too e.g. screeners and then perhaps coding on MT4 or something, is that what you use?

Last edited by Kaeso; Oct 16, 2017 at 9:29pm.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:11pm   #5

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
im starting to think the OP is a one-post wonder

im trying to introduce more "mechanics" too e.g. screeners and then perhaps coding on MT4 or something, is that what you use?
Hey, yes that is how I started, I didn't have a master plan to write a killer trading robot and take over Wall Street :-)

I am very lazy guy and couldn't find a scanner to use, so I did write my own, because I was fed up to do it manually every morning, after that I did automate the alerting on stocks to buy with the exact number of shares based on my risk / account size and after than the next logical step for me was to automate the trade... The last algo to complete the picture was the one monitoring my trades and exits...

All this is done on python with my broker's API and the reason is because I don't trust the companies providing trading automation... Maybe because of my job (leading a security/systems team), but I am yet to see an audited track record on how those companies are preventing their employees to look into their clients strategies...

No to mention some of them are directly financed by hedge funds, most of them are startups loosing money, which means the security is not the highest priority and if one day I decide the go to the dark side, they are going to be my first target and it is going to be the perfect crime: noting to steal or ransom, just copy the most successful trading strategies...

Hope this helps...

My number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:57pm   #6
tar

Joined Nov 2006
tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:00pm   #8
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by itspossible View Post
yeh its a fascinating thread aint it!
Thanks! The following members like this post: itspossible