How many times do you trade in a month!

This is a discussion on How many times do you trade in a month! within the Swing & Position Trading forums, part of the Methods category; Originally Posted by Quantt Hey, yes that is how I started, I didn't have a master plan to write a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:07pm   #9

Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
Hey, yes that is how I started, I didn't have a master plan to write a killer trading robot and take over Wall Street :-)

I am very lazy guy and couldn't find a scanner to use, so I did write my own, because I was fed up to do it manually every morning, after that I did automate the alerting on stocks to buy with the exact number of shares based on my risk / account size and after than the next logical step for me was to automate the trade... The last algo to complete the picture was the one monitoring my trades and exits...

All this is done on python with my broker's API and the reason is because I don't trust the companies providing trading automation... Maybe because of my job (leading a security/systems team), but I am yet to see an audited track record on how those companies are preventing their employees to look into their clients strategies...

No to mention some of them are directly financed by hedge funds, most of them are startups loosing money, which means the security is not the highest priority and if one day I decide the go to the dark side, they are going to be my first target and it is going to be the perfect crime: noting to steal or ransom, just copy the most successful trading strategies...

Hope this helps...
Ah yes helpful thanks, you mentioned your python before but i'm not familiar with pythons or APIs I will cross that and the other bridges if i come to them. I'll do what you did and automate bits as i go. MT4 seems to be a good enough place to start as i will be using an MT4 account

Last edited by Kaeso; Oct 17, 2017 at 6:12pm.
Kaeso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:17pm   #10

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
Ah yes helpful thanks, you mentioned your python before but i'm not familiar with pythons or APIs I will cross that and the other bridges if i come to them. I'll do what you did and automate bits as i go. MT4 seems to be a good enough place to start as i will be using an MT4 account
Python is just a program language, I don't like it much (not that I am developer by any stretch of the imagination), but it is easy to learn and wildly used in finance, so it is worth the hassle, because programing is the 21st century literacy as I like to say...

Also it is great for back testing (you'll need to buy data tough), you can program whatever you like and let it run, easy to make changes and adjustments...

Once you know how to program, the next step is to take a look the API provided by your broker - essentially it is a set of functions you can use, the documentation often contains examples as well...

Here is the link to the IB API:

https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=5041

Good luck!

My number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:56pm   #11

Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
Python is just a program language, I don't like it much (not that I am developer by any stretch of the imagination), but it is easy to learn and wildly used in finance, so it is worth the hassle, because programing is the 21st century literacy as I like to say...

Also it is great for back testing (you'll need to buy data tough), you can program whatever you like and let it run, easy to make changes and adjustments...

Once you know how to program, the next step is to take a look the API provided by your broker - essentially it is a set of functions you can use, the documentation often contains examples as well...

Here is the link to the IB API:

https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=5041

Good luck!
thanks for clarifying, i can do some simple code in prorealtime and i use that at the moment to screen, so im confident i can do more automation in time... maybe one day ill do some "fishing in the cloud" like you
Kaeso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:11pm   #12

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
thanks for clarifying, i can do some simple code in prorealtime and i use that at the moment to screen, so im confident i can do more automation in time... maybe one day ill do some "fishing in the cloud" like you
Good plan! Speaking of fishing, with so many English lads here, is anyone carp fishing? I am about to go for a short 2 hours session...

My number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is online now   Reply With Quote