New, Interested in Swing Trading

This is a discussion on New, Interested in Swing Trading within the Swing & Position Trading forums, part of the Methods category; Hello Everyone in T2W, New to all this trying to understand it but from the information I have gathered I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:21pm   #1

2 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
New, Interested in Swing Trading

Hello Everyone in T2W,

New to all this trying to understand it but from the information I have gathered I would like to learn and do swing trading. All help and suggestions are welcomed, I also have got a few books I will write the names here and anyone can tell me if these are good choices I have not read them yet still waiting for them in the mail. Im not Looking to get rich quick or anything Trading is interesting to me and i would like to learn everything i can and also experience it first hand i dont have a lot of money once i start doing some actual swing trading sometime in the future i only have $1,000 to begin.

PS: not looking to know it all overnight or start trading tomorrow

Japanese Candlesticks Charting Techniques
Technical Analysis for Dummies
Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets
Economics in one Lesson
The Master Swing Trader Toolkit
Delta Phenomenon
cybernetic analysis for stocks and futures
Trading In the Zone
Trading for a living
Disciplined Trader
Swing Trading for Dummies
reminiscences of a stock operator
How i made 2 Million in stocks

Thanks

TS
TechSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:18am   #2
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Re: New, Interested in Swing Trading

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSolutions View Post
. . .All help and suggestions are welcomed, I also have got a few books I will write the names here and anyone can tell me if these are good choices . . .
Hi TechSolutions,
Welcome to T2W.

Most of the books you list are well regarded 'standard' texts for retail traders. That said, everyone has their favourites and then there are those who say all books are pretty useless and that you have to work all this stuff out for yourself! The only book that you've not got that I would recommend is this one: Marc Rivalland on Swing Trading by Marc Rivalland. Well worth reading, IMO.

We have a whole category devoted to Swing & Position Trading in the Articles section of T2W - lots of useful info in there. Here's an article to start you off with - written by a very well respected member and former T2W moderator called 'barjon': Simple Swing Trading

Let us know how you get on.
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 5:12pm   #3

Joined Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
The only book that you've not got that I would recommend is this one: Marc Rivalland on Swing Trading by Marc Rivalland. Well worth reading, IMO.
Interesting Tim, this is one I've never read and yet am an avid fan of P&F. I never realised Marc combined the two
Have you read Duplessis? and if so having read that book, would you still look at Marc's?
malaguti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:13pm   #4
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaguti View Post
Interesting Tim, this is one I've never read and yet am an avid fan of P&F. I never realised Marc combined the two
Have you read Duplessis? and if so having read that book, would you still look at Marc's?
Hi malaguti,
In a word: YES!
You won't learn anything about P&F from Rivalland's book that you don't already know or find in DuPlessis' book, but the way he uses P&F in conjunction with his swing charts (based on Gann) - is interesting, IMO. It's well written, easy to follow with loads of clearly annotated charts. For anyone wanting to develop a sound approach to trading the markets, it offers a methodology that will - if nothing else - get the reader thinking and exploring ideas they may not otherwise have thought of or considered.

Having said all that, you'll probably read it and dismiss it as a load of ol' tosh!

Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: malaguti
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:26pm   #5

2 Posts
Joined Jul 2013

TechSolutions started this thread Thanks for all the replies, anyone have suggestions on what the best website is to do any swing trading.
TechSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 12:34am   #6

Joined Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechSolutions View Post
Thanks for all the replies, anyone have suggestions on what the best website is to do any swing trading.
you'll be doing end of day I presume and US it looks like. Id say tradingview.com; they're free and they have great looking charts too
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:46pm   #7
Joined Oct 2008

This is a great ($50 but worth it) - Pring on Price Patterns : The Definitive Guide to Price Pattern Analysis and Intrepretation: Martin J. Pring, Martin Pring: 9780071440387: Amazon.com: Books

And this is a great free system - Price Action Swing Trading (PAST) Strategy eBook « Forex Useful

Also worth reading as mentioned in the first reply is the Marc Rivalland book (again, not free!)
wilczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 5:06pm   #8

Joined Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsk View Post
Hi malaguti,
In a word: YES!
You won't learn anything about P&F from Rivalland's book that you don't already know or find in DuPlessis' book, but the way he uses P&F in conjunction with his swing charts (based on Gann) - is interesting, IMO. It's well written, easy to follow with loads of clearly annotated charts. For anyone wanting to develop a sound approach to trading the markets, it offers a methodology that will - if nothing else - get the reader thinking and exploring ideas they may not otherwise have thought of or considered.

Having said all that, you'll probably read it and dismiss it as a load of ol' tosh!

Tim.
i read this, and could only take perhaps one point from it that might be worth looking at, but it was a point i already knew I wanted to develop.
Disappointing in my opinion. I'd like to write something now, and I think I could do a better more concise job.
Lets see if I can sell it for £40 a pop