so - when do we buy Tesco ?

This is a discussion on so - when do we buy Tesco ? within the Stocks forums, part of the Markets category; Is it time to buy, 165 ?...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:14am   #91

Joined Jan 2002
Is it time to buy, 165 ?
SuddenDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:34am   #92
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
NVP started this thread I suspect we need to see how xmas goes .........I also suspect that tesco already have PR strategic announcements ready if needed to bolster the SP...........when we see the announcements come we know they are really concerned about the SP falling further and the cogs start rolling........brinksmanship at the moment as every week of planning and preparation of new strategies will bring better long term dividends for the group
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:28pm   #93

Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuddenDeath View Post
Is it time to buy, 165 ?
Was over at Tesco extra over the w/e and didn't feel any buzz.

fwiw - I reckon sales will continue dipping. Didn't spend much either. Shop more now at my local groceries...

Wouldn't be buying anything right now. Impending doom and gloom.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:27pm   #94

Joined Mar 2004
Loads of people at my local Tesco, with reduced boxes of chocolates etc. at the door.

I did notice that the bin for the poor is near empty. maybe they just emptied it ?

Poor leadership at the top has near sunk Tesco like the CO-OP.

Who made a £250m hole in the accounts ? Hopefully not the tip of the Iceberg.

for quality of life.

The Westcountry is being overrun with
grotty new estates

Last edited by Pat494; Dec 9, 2014 at 3:51pm.
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:31pm   #95

Joined Jun 2005
Tesco's business model is now outdated. Even now I'd be looking at the possibility of a short if I was doing UK shares. Notwithstanding that, our local Tesco Metro has the freshest and best tasting veg in the district.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:59pm   #96
Joined Dec 2004
Tesco need a new CEO, the current guy is a winger. Easy way to turn the share price around shut the sheds down (Tesco Extra) or downsize them. The costs of running the things 24 hrs is uneconomical considering the hike in gas and electric.
Also the market likes lay offs but he is keeping on people. The other more drastic solution is to get out of food retail altogether and re-invent themselves on line. After all what's your profit from
27p toothpaste?
pigbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:16pm   #97
Joined Nov 2001
It's difficult, isn't it? When was it? 15-20 years ago Next's shares went down to penny status? I was too scared to get them at that price and bought them, finally, at something just over 100p. They had no debt and 120 million pounds cash! I was trying to find the catch.

Supermarket shares are different, though. They have so much uncovered debt that it is difficult to sort it out.
Splitlink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:01pm   #98
Joined Sep 2013
this morning at 8:15 for a 16:00 sale.

worked just great.
toknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:29pm   #99

Joined Mar 2004
I still think that the top hogs should bear some responsibility for incompetence, gross mismanagement etc. just as they used to. The American way of shrugging it off just isn't good enough. That man at the top of the COOP ruined 150 years work with his nonsense.
The directors who appoint these useless bosses should also face substantial penalties imho and not just pass the buck onto the shareholders.

Toughen up politicians or mind out the way imo.

for quality of life.

grotty new estates
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:33pm   #100
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
NVP started this thread [QUOTE=0007;2448494]Tesco's business model is now outdated. Even now I'd be looking at the possibility of a short if I was doing UK shares. Notwithstanding that, our local Tesco Metro has the freshest and best tasting veg in the district.[/QUOTE]

welcome to the future .........they are all at it ........and will all close some of those out of town abominations (or sublet them to other brands/services)
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:34pm   #101
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
NVP started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitlink View Post
It's difficult, isn't it? When was it? 15-20 years ago Next's shares went down to penny status? I was too scared to get them at that price and bought them, finally, at something just over 100p. They had no debt and 120 million pounds cash! I was trying to find the catch.

Supermarket shares are different, though. They have so much uncovered debt that it is difficult to sort it out.
Next is a peach of a company .........no idea how they continue to defy gravity in such a brutal sector .......... but boy is that Next board savvy
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:07am   #102

5 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
They did rise slowly after selling the south Korean and Turkish division... competition is fierce at home enough as is, I think it's wise from them to narrow down from the China market and pulling from the US and Japan altogether.
Intern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:32pm   #103

Joined Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
I still think that the top hogs should bear some responsibility for incompetence, gross mismanagement etc. just as they used to. The American way of shrugging it off just isn't good enough. That man at the top of the COOP ruined 150 years work with his nonsense.
The directors who appoint these useless bosses should also face substantial penalties imho and not just pass the buck onto the shareholders.

Toughen up politicians or mind out the way imo.

Just to recap what I wrote the above in 2014.

We still have in the UK total plonkers at the top of so many FTSE companies who do their worst for the companies. From Fred the shred and kindred spirits who ruined Lloyds, the CO-OP, TSB etc. and are even now doing their worst with Marks & Spencers, House of Fraser etc.
Who gives those people top jobs should at least help pay for the damages they cause surely. But no not a word from Mrs. Poodle or even Carbuncle.
Golden bowlers all round for the boys.
Enough to make one weep.

for quality of life.

grotty new estates

Last edited by Pat494; Jun 5, 2018 at 3:13pm.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:33pm   #104

Joined Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
Just to recap what I wrote the above in 2014.

We still have in the UK total plonkers at the top of so many FTSE companies who do their worst for the companies. From Fred the shred and kindred spirits who ruined Lloyds, the CO-OP, TSB etc. and are even now doing their worst with Marks & Spencers, House of Fraser etc.
Who gives those people top jobs should at least help pay for the damages they cause surely. But no not a word from Mrs. Poodle or even Carbuncle.
Golden bowlers all round for the boys.
Enough to make one weep.
I tend to agree Pat, it does indeed feel like incompetence is endemic throughout management and boards. but is it real incompetence? or bogus and deliberate.

I came across and briefly skimmed an article in my google news feed about how hedge funds (and therefore company board directors, if any way connected or incentivised) can profit immensely from cds swap payouts if their company nearly goes under technically, but can carry on, as we've seen recently on a regular basis. quite a clever rouse I might add if indeed going on, champers all round no doubt.