IG Index Charts Conundrum

This is a discussion on IG Index Charts Conundrum within the Spread Betting & CFDs forums, part of the Commercial category; PDriver, Closing prices at IG Index (trading platform) and prices at ProFinanceIT (charting platform) don't often match - and I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:43am   #16
Joined Aug 2008
Re: IG Index Charts Conundrum

PDriver,

Closing prices at IG Index (trading platform) and prices at ProFinanceIT (charting platform) don't often match - and I believe that ProFinance does not feed in the closing auction price. That may explain the discrepency between ProFinance's and other EoD's charts.
alphahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:09am   #17

Joined Mar 2007
Re: IG Index Charts Conundrum

you'll find a lot of the other indicators don't match either between charting platforms. some one showed a while back that even some of the algorithms are wrong/incomplete.

as long as the error is consistent then one can work around it.

people will provide those indicators in a form that make them the most money ?

free charts -you get what you pay for.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 5:47pm   #18

4 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
pdriver started this thread As mentioned earlier, I ended up working with a 240 period timeframe.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:25pm   #19

9 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
does anyone know if there is a market that allows me to buy/sell the FSTE 100 at or near the official market open price?
I appreciate the FSTE 100 is not really a tradable product per se, and IG's prices are built from the nearest futures price, but this essentially means that when the FTSE opens at 8am, the price I can get from IG's "daily funded" bet can be 30, 40, 50 or more points adrift of the "official" open.

Does a market exist that gives me access to the "real" open price?
Agentginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:35pm   #20
Joined Feb 2002
This is only theoretically possible, in practice the SB companies restrict their platforms so they are not offering a position so far from the underlying. Have you watched the IG market on the index through the open at 8 to see if you can actually open trades on it at this time?
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:35pm   #21

Joined Jan 2006
The IG daily charts have Sunday on them because they are actively quoting prices on that day - even though it's only for an hour from 23:00. This will alter the EMAs/MAs/RSIs and just about any other indicator you choose to put on the chart, making them practically useless from an analysis point of view as you are getting a whole candlestick for just one our of trading when the markets are closed...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend,
inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -- G Marx.
Hoggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:39pm   #22

Joined Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentginger View Post
does anyone know if there is a market that allows me to buy/sell the FSTE 100 at or near the official market open price?
I appreciate the FSTE 100 is not really a tradable product per se, and IG's prices are built from the nearest futures price, but this essentially means that when the FTSE opens at 8am, the price I can get from IG's "daily funded" bet can be 30, 40, 50 or more points adrift of the "official" open.

Does a market exist that gives me access to the "real" open price?
Hey now wouldn't that be a great money spinner - look at what IG is quoting and put a trade on at the "open" price (i.e. yesterdays close in most cases) and Bingo - instant profits.

Good luck with that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend,
inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -- G Marx.
Hoggums is offline   Reply With Quote