IG Index Charts Conundrum

This is a discussion on IG Index Charts Conundrum within the Spread Betting & CFDs forums, part of the Commercial category; @ Blackswan. I agree that when using a crossing MA system the discrepancy would not be too crucial. However there ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 4, 2010, 10:55am   #9

4 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Re: IG Index Charts Conundrum

pdriver started this thread @ Blackswan. I agree that when using a crossing MA system the discrepancy would not be too crucial. However there are many professional money managers, hedge funds and institutions that use different trading rules. For example; buy (or buy dips) when prices are above a MA and sell (or sell rallies) when prices are below. As D70 says "Yes it is critical".
pdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:25am   #10
Joined Jan 2008

Since IG charts are therefore working on a 6 day week rather than 5 day, the MA values that I am now using are 240 (for 200), 120 (100), 60 (50).

Of course this doesn't help on the lesser time frames where a much more complicated formula would be required.

I guess that this is another banana skin that the SB firms choose not to tell us about.

I pay attention to the chart of ft or bloomberg,there are space data on some days ,that will affect the calculation result also. If there will be one space there will be a rectifications with parameter.
because ig will provide the tradeing on a 6 day week rather than 5 day for venture need of trader ,that will be a differece chart parameter than the the chart of ft or bloomberg. and there are no space data on the it-finance chart.
thjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:37pm   #11
Joined Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdriver View Post
@ Blackswan. I agree that when using a crossing MA system the discrepancy would not be too crucial. However there are many professional money managers, hedge funds and institutions that use different trading rules. For example; buy (or buy dips) when prices are above a MA and sell (or sell rallies) when prices are below. As D70 says "Yes it is critical".
Hi bud, yep only too aware of the relative importance of the 200ma and who watches it/makes decisions off it, and yes if you look at how, for example, cable has tested it a few times this week you can see that it's critical once it breaches. I guess I just don't have the *luxury*/patience/experience/insitutional cash of being able to use that ma for decision making..one day Rodders...
Black Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 5:01pm   #12
Joined Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by D70 View Post

ps. Everyone elses responses are somewhat idiotic.
Only 'somewhat'? I'll have to try harder in future.
Jack Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: D70
Old Jun 4, 2010, 5:07pm   #13
Joined Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by D70 View Post
Yes it is critical.
Look at a chart. You will/might see why.
Believe it or not, I do look at charts occasionally and also realise that 200MAs are widely used. IMO it's better to think of MAs as fairly wide channels, not thin lines for making snap decisions.
Jack Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:12am   #14
Joined May 2008

This issue has really got up my nose and the sunday candle is definitely a factor. I've asked IGindex on a few occasions and they say it's down to ITFinance advanced charting not working properly when you've clearly deselected the sunday candle. They said they were onto the issue to get it resolved and that other people had complained but that was about 4 months ago and nothing done as yet. As people say, another banana skin!
Countvonaltibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:38am   #15

Joined Feb 2009

I emailed IT-Finance about their charts, and why you can't remove the weekend bars (even though there does appear to be an option, it only works on intraday charts), why you can't have a horizontal support line carry over into tick charts and other errors and omissions with IGIndex's advanced charts. Surprise surprise, IT-Finance said it was actually down to IGIndex not allowing the functionality. I don't know who is telling fibs.
Shakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:43am   #16
Joined Aug 2008

PDriver,

Closing prices at IG Index (trading platform) and prices at ProFinanceIT (charting platform) don't often match - and I believe that ProFinance does not feed in the closing auction price. That may explain the discrepency between ProFinance's and other EoD's charts.
alphahunter is offline   Reply With Quote