IG Index Charts

This is a discussion on IG Index Charts within the Spread Betting & CFDs forums, part of the Commercial category; Hi a maybe stupid question. The charts you get if you trade with IG Index (and tradefair has the same ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 15, 2008, 4:28pm   #1
Joined Nov 2008
IG Index Charts

Hi
a maybe stupid question.
The charts you get if you trade with IG Index (and tradefair has the same charts I think) are they realtime?
Or is this delayed data?

So do you recommend to have (a second) real-time-data feed or is the chart data of the SB-companies enough for a beginner (if it is real time data).

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by candeloro; Nov 15, 2008 at 5:49pm.
candeloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 5:59pm   #2
 
UKtradergirl's Avatar
Joined Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by candeloro View Post
Hi
a maybe stupid question.
The charts you get if you trade with IG Index (and tradefair has the same charts I think) are they realtime?
Or is this delayed data?

So do you recommend to have (a second) real-time-data feed or is the chart data of the SB-companies enough for a beginner (if it is real time data).

Thanks a lot!

Yes, it is realtime. If it wasn't real time, then their quotes would have to be delayed too. Which makes for a great strategy to beat them.

IG Index charts are not actual market charts, but based around the underlying market. In practise the prices are very very similar to the actual market (if they weren't there would be no point). If you are trading through IGIndex therefore, i most definitely recommend you use their charts (their prices correlate with the data on their charts).

In my opinion, whether you are a beginner or someone more experienced, the charts through IG are very sufficient, and even better than that found in many other places for a charge.
__________________
UKtradergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: candeloro
Old Nov 15, 2008, 6:14pm   #3
Joined Nov 2008
candeloro started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKtradergirl View Post
Yes, it is realtime. If it wasn't real time, then their quotes would have to be delayed too. Which makes for a great strategy to beat them.

IG Index charts are not actual market charts, but based around the underlying market. In practise the prices are very very similar to the actual market (if they weren't there would be no point). If you are trading through IGIndex therefore, i most definitely recommend you use their charts (their prices correlate with the data on their charts).

In my opinion, whether you are a beginner or someone more experienced, the charts through IG are very sufficient, and even better than that found in many other places for a charge.

Thank you for the info!
I wondered why they can give away a lot of realtime data (stocks,markets...) while other feeds (like Reuters etc) charge a hell of money for that data.
Is there a way of using the realtime data to feed external EOD or realtime Charting-Software?
candeloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 6:26pm   #4
 
UKtradergirl's Avatar
Joined Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by candeloro View Post
Thank you for the info!
I wondered why they can give away a lot of realtime data (stocks,markets...) while other feeds (like Reuters etc) charge a hell of money for that data.
Is there a way of using the realtime data to feed external EOD or realtime Charting-Software?

Can't answer that i'm afraid- i don't know. I don't think you can. The IG charts are very customisable anyway- and will save your settings. They are based on ProRealTime.

Infact, 'giving away' the charts to you probably costs IG a lot of money. You are paying for it in a round about kind of way, every time you place a trade. I suppose they are also hoping that by providing you with quality charts you will be encouraged to place more trades.
__________________
UKtradergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 6:36pm   #5
 
barjon's Avatar
Joined May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by candeloro View Post
Thank you for the info!
I wondered why they can give away a lot of realtime data (stocks,markets...) while other feeds (like Reuters etc) charge a hell of money for that data.
Is there a way of using the realtime data to feed external EOD or realtime Charting-Software?
hi candel

they are not giving away real-time data of the underlying market - they are giving away the real-time data of their quotes in relation to those markets.

good trading

jon
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: bizmanny , Hoggums
Old Nov 15, 2008, 7:27pm   #6
Joined Nov 2008
candeloro started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by barjon View Post
hi candel

they are not giving away real-time data of the underlying market - they are giving away the real-time data of their quotes in relation to those markets.

good trading

jon
Confusing to be a beginner again (as I invested in stocks some years ago)
So if I get it right:
Lets say the Dow is at 8500 and IG is offering 8498/8502 then they would use 8500 as their "chart data" right?
But they could offer a spread of 8500 to 8504 either, which then would mean their chart data would be 8502 (although the "real" market would show the "official 8500" as data?

So do I get it right, people trading IG quotes do not trade the real market, they trade the IG market?
That on the other hand means that I cannot trade "real chart" technial point?
Letīs say we have a double top at all-time high of XX-market at 8430.
Trading the real market, I would go long if breaking the 8430.

Due to the spread and the possibility to quote free, IG could quote 8431 to 8435 while the real market is at 8428, sucking lots of traders in "going long" while there was no sense in going long, watching the real market?
And as I do not trade "against" other investors there is no way that even if the IG chart would show a break of their all-time high I would make a profit as there is no buying power due to the IG chart signal as I only trade against IG-market makers.

That would mean the IG is if not useless, very inaccurate at the important keypoints of the underlying market, right?

Sorry for so many questions...
candeloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 7:35pm   #7
 
barjon's Avatar
Joined May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by candeloro View Post
Confusing to be a beginner again (as I invested in stocks some years ago)
So if I get it right:
Lets say the Dow is at 8500 and IG is offering 8498/8502 then they would use 8500 as their "chart data" right?
But they could offer a spread of 8500 to 8504 either, which then would mean their chart data would be 8502 (although the "real" market would show the "official 8500" as data?

So do I get it right, people trading IG quotes do not trade the real market, they trade the IG market?
That on the other hand means that I cannot trade "real chart" technial point?
Letīs say we have a double top at all-time high of XX-market at 8430.
Trading the real market, I would go long if breaking the 8430.

Due to the spread and the possibility to quote free, IG could quote 8431 to 8435 while the real market is at 8428, sucking lots of traders in "going long" while there was no sense in going long, watching the real market?
And as I do not trade "against" other investors there is no way that even if the IG chart would show a break of their all-time high I would make a profit as there is no buying power due to the IG chart signal as I only trade against IG-market makers.

That would mean the IG is if not useless, very inaccurate at the important keypoints of the underlying market, right?

Sorry for so many questions...
you got it
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 5:56pm   #8
Joined Jun 2004
Unfortunately, IG's charts don't necessarily follow their quotes, which makes life slightly more complicated.
Phil Mibbutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 6:18pm   #9
Joined Nov 2008
candeloro started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Mibbutz View Post
Unfortunately, IG's charts don't necessarily follow their quotes, which makes life slightly more complicated.
Hm, what do they follow then?
Mixture of Underlying quotes and IG quotes?

Will give it a try anyway but seems to me like a casino
candeloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 6:42pm   #10
 
UKtradergirl's Avatar
Joined Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by candeloro View Post
Hm, what do they follow then?
Mixture of Underlying quotes and IG quotes?

Will give it a try anyway but seems to me like a casino

Spreadbetting is more efficient over longer term time frames. Then those few points don't matter so much in the context of hopefully winning 200+. The only problem with longer term is that you generally need bigger stops.
__________________
UKtradergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 7:10pm   #11
 
Lord Flasheart's Avatar
Joined Jan 2004
You can us a many direct access companies data feed to add to a chart package to save the exchange fees etc.
__________________
If you are serious about trading then you need to look at this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CnAsdQiGzs
Lord Flasheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2008, 5:51pm   #12
 
7 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
IG charts

I use I.G. 'through ' charts, & have never found a difference in their chart & quotes.
'Through' charts are to my mind the best available - trading on the chart has to be the way to go.
I spent years bumbling around with Metatrader before finding I.G. But since then, have never looked back.
Greywell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 12:59am   #13
 
simcom's Avatar
Joined Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywell1 View Post
I use I.G. 'through ' charts, & have never found a difference in their chart & quotes.
'Through' charts are to my mind the best available - trading on the chart has to be the way to go.
I spent years bumbling around with Metatrader before finding I.G. But since then, have never looked back.
Pleased to hear you've been having a good experience with DealThru Charts. I have been considering using that functionality for some time.

Do you know if it is possible to automate trades using the system, or is it still only able to provide prompts? A few months back my account manager told me that they were working on a way to implement automatic trade placement, which would be exciting.
simcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:03am   #14
Joined Nov 2008
candeloro started this thread Is there a difference in the tools you get depending what typ of account you open with IG ?
candeloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:26am   #15
 
options's Avatar
Joined Jul 2001
No. There are however 3 different types of chart you can access.

1, Are the quick charts direct from the price display.

2, Are the advanced charts from the pop out menu by the side of the quick charts.

3. Are the real time charts that pop out from the tools button at the top of the screen.

Even though only the 3rd is called real time, all 3 charts are in real time, driven from Ig's price feed. Which will be comparable to the 'real' market price, with the spread added into that, which has to reflect the 'real' price pretty close or as UKTgirl said it leaves it open to exploitation by someone who has a 'real' price feed.

That said they can quote any price they feel like as they have the 'right' to do this. In reality though it doesn't happen.
__________________
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/truth/

"Adapt or die!" Said the Coackroach to the Dinosaur.

Beware of false signals bearing gifts.

"I have seen the enemy...and it is me."

Follow the path of least resistance.
options is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dow Jones Index - historical intraday charts djia Indices 9 Jan 28, 2012 10:35pm
City Index / Finspreads / iii platform charts not working! francisfinley Spread Betting & CFDs 9 Aug 29, 2008 9:04am
FTSE & IG Index Real-Time Charts Interceptor Indices 1 Aug 1, 2008 9:14am
ig index daily charts ha0dho Spread Betting & CFDs 1 Jul 10, 2008 11:04pm
Index Charts software kevinmcm Trading Software 0 Aug 12, 2003 6:49pm

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)