Getting Started Wit and Wisdom of Wall Street

I love to collect quotes as they concisely promote a philosophy which is readily understandable.

In my 25+ years of investing I have collected hundreds of quotes related to Wisdom, Wall Street and Success. I submit this small selection with the hopes that it will enlighten the forces required for your future financial success. Enjoy!

1) ?Money really isn't that important. Is a guy with fifty million dollars happier than a guy with forty eight million dollars?? - Milton Berle

2) ?With money in your pocket, you are wise and you are handsome and you sing well too.? -Yiddish Proverb

3) ?Money is always there, but the pockets change.? - Gertrude Stein

4) ?Spend at least as much time researching a stock as you would choosing a refrigerator.? - Peter Lynch

5) ?Wall Street has a uniquely hysterical way of thinking the world will end tomorrow but be fully recovered in the long run, then a few years later believing the immediate future is rosy but that the long term stinks.? - Kenneth L. Fisher, Wall Street Waltz

6) ?Central Bankers are brought up pulling the legs off ants.? - Paul Volker, Former Federal Reserve Chairman

Quoted by William Grieder, Secrets of the Temple

7) ?Good judgement is usually the result of experience and experience frequently is the result of bad judgement.? - Robert Lovell

Quoted by Robert Sobel, Panic on Wall Street

8) ?When you realize that you are riding a dead horse the best strategy is to dismount.? - Sioux Indian Proverb

9) ?To know and not to do is not yet to know.? - Zen Saying

10) ?Amateurs Focus On Rewards! Professionals Focus on Risk!? -Harald Anderson - Analyst and founder eOptionsTrader.com

11) ?If 40 million people say a foolish thing, it does not become a wise one.? - W. Somerset Maugham

12) "One thousand dollars left to earn interest at 8% a year will grow to $43 quadrillion in 400 years, but the first hundred years are the hardest." Sidney Homer, A History of Interest Rates

13) ?Everytime history repeats itself, the price goes up.? -Anonymous

14) ?In all recorded history, there has not been one economist who has had to worry about where the the next meal would come from.? -Peter Drucker

15) ?A good trader has to have three things: a chronic inability to accept things at face value, to feel continuously unsettled, and to have humility. -Michael Steinhardt

16) ?Don't confuse brains with a bull market.? -Humphrey Neill

17) ?Financial genius is a rising stock market.? -John Kenneth Galbraith

18) ?The purpose of a market is to facilitate trade.? -J. Peter Steidlemayer

19) "Buy high, sell higher." -William O'Neil

20) "I learned more about economics from one South Dakota dust storm than I did in all my years at college." -Hubert Humphrey

21) ?A bull must be fed every day with good news. But a bear need only be fed once in a while.? -Anonymous

22) ?Each of us has a choice - we must make money work for us or we must work for money.? -Conrad Leslie

23) "Don't ever make the mistake of telling the market it is wrong." -James Dines

24) ?It was never my thinking that made me money. It was my sitting.? -Jesse Livermore

25) "Stocks are simple. All you do is buy shares in a great business for less than the business is intrinsically worth, with managers of highest integrity and ability. Then you own those shares forever." - Warren Buffett

26) ?The trading rules I live by are: (a) Cut losses, (b) Ride Winners, (c) Keep bets small, (d) Follow the rules without question, and (e) Know when to break the rules.? -Ed Seykota

27) "Taxpayer: Someone who works for the government but doesn't have to take a civil service examination." -Ronald Reagan

28) ?October. This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February.? -Mark Twain

29) "Rule No. 1: Never lose money. Rule No 2: Never forget Rule No. 1." -Warren Buffett

30) "Large profits can be made in common stocks. Large losses can be made in common stocks." -Peter Lynch

31) ?A fool and his money are soon parted.? -Unknown

32) ?A fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place.? -W.C. Fields

33) "You should invest in a business that even a fool can run, because someday a fool will." - Warren Buffett

34) "The key in life is to figure out who to be the bat boy for." -Warren Buffett

Last edited by a moderator:
11) “If 40 million people say a foolish thing, it does not become a wise one.” - W. Somerset Maugham

Interesting that this -- or variations of it -- have also been attributed to Anatole France and Bertrand Russell ("If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing").